Sponsored by:

How to replace rubber boot on NTC sensor connector

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:47 PM
gray635
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to replace rubber boot on NTC sensor connector

The rubber boot for the 2-spade Bosch connector on the NTC sensor on my car's heater tube has cracked. I bought the repair kit and tried to replace it this afternoon. Cut away the old boot but I cannot get the 2 female spade connections in the black plastic connector to release and, to complicate matters, the wires into the plastic connector seems secured in some way.

Is there some trick to replacing this boot and connector? Should I just crack the black connector with pliers? Or should I cut the wires, crimp in the new spade connectors and insert them into the new connector? (May not be enough slack in the wiring harness to do this, however.) I tried a search, but no luck.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Can post some photos if this would be helpful.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:20 AM
Ducks964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A picture may help. If it is the connector I am thinking, I have a couple off spare harnesses. If you get in a bind and just need a connector to splice into your harness, let me know and I will send you one.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:50 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you using the special tool to remove the spade connectors from the housing?
Old 02-08-2014, 10:17 AM
gray635
Rennlist Member

Guys:

Thanks for the responses. I don't have a special tool to release the spade connectors from the plastic holder but do have a small jeweler's screwdriver, which I've used in the past for this.

The problem is not getting the spade connectors to release. The problem is that the wire itself seems to be secured to the black plastic holder/connector in some way. I've removed the rubber boot but the wires are still secured by something other than just the spade connectors in the plastic block. I'll post up some photos so you can see what I'm talking about.

Last edited by gray635; 02-08-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:01 PM
gray635
Rennlist Member

Here are some photos of the plug w/rubber boot removed. Please note how the wire continues to be secured to the rear of the plug. Photo of Bosch repair kit is also included. Should I just cut this away and remove the spade connectors? Or is my only alternative to cut the wire and splice the new connections in - which I would prefer not to do. Thanks for any help.
Attached Images      
Old 02-09-2014, 05:17 PM
gray635
Rennlist Member

Bump for info request. Is there no one on the board who has replaced this connector and boot? Any assistance would be much appreciated. I'm hesitant to do much more without some good advice, out of fear of making matters worse, rather than better. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2014, 05:31 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

If anyone has done it, I would think it would be Colin at 9M since they're always stripping out harnesses of unneeded wiring.

Quick Reply: How to replace rubber boot on NTC sensor connector