Sponsored by:

a/c problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 05:24 PM
dondeziner
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c problems

I recently bought my first Porsche. A '90 964. The A/C did not blow cold air. I took it to a local backyard shop (Porsche dealer is quite a distance away). I asked him to look at my system and let me know what is wrong. He told me that there was only 10 lbs of pressure. He recommend that I convert to R134a. It was going to cost $330. This would include the changing of O rings, flushing the lines and adding new oil with the dye and stop leak. He said the stop leak he uses is proven and the best in the industry (I guess the stupid light was flashing on my head!)

I told him to go ahead and fix it. After speaking with a different Porsche mechanic from out of state, he told me to tell the mechanic not to put the stop leak in because it will just jam the system up and the stuff is no good. I called the local mechanic back about an hour after I told him to fix the car and told him not to put the stop leak in. Too late. The job was already done.

Whan I went to pick the car up, The guy told me that he had a hard time closing my hood (I had the hood bra on). I later found out when I washed the car that the guy put a palm dent in my hood!!(I was able to massage it out). The A/C blew cold. I drove the car 2 miles the first day. I was happy to have very cold air. The second time was a week later for a 6 mile ride. Again, very happy. A couple of days later . I smelled somethind bad and all she blew was hot air!!

The receipt said that a pressure check was performed and there were no leaks. I called the guy back and he denies denting the hood and told me to take my car somewhere else to get it looked at. He continually hangs up the phone on me. What is some good advise for next steps to take to get the A/C working. Did this mechanic do the right thing and it's just a coincidence other things have gone wrong? When I turn the A/C on now, I get some weird sounds that I never had before.

Thanks.
Don
Old 07-25-2003, 05:34 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

At $330 it may be just as well to cut your losses and get the car fixed at a more reputable place. You could have a mess on your hands if the "stop leak" has stopped up the expansion valve. Worse yet, the compressor is an expensive part, and it could be damaged. Under no circumstances would I let this jerk touch my car again. Dent in the hood? OUCH!
Old 07-26-2003, 02:23 AM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C

Don

It might help if you stated your geographic location. Everyplace in the world has good and bad Porsche mechanics. I have 4 different Porsches (radically different years) and each of them is different. I won't go to the same source for each car.

That said, only go to a source that this web site recommends for your 964. It is a wonderful car, but quite complex. When they run right, which is most of the time, they are awesome.

I'm chasing done problems on my hvac and won't be happy until it's solved. Adrain S. is a wonderful source for information, and is very, very generous with his advice. Listen to other's advice before you leap. At least that's what I do.

Jerry Garwick
Fresno, CA USA
Old 07-26-2003, 09:42 AM
dondeziner
AutoX

Thanks Jerry,

If anyone could steer me in the right direction, I live about an hour north of Charlotte.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:35 AM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. The conversion to R134 itself shouldn't be problematic - I had it done last year on my C2 and haven't had any problems with it. The A/C still isn't great, but I think it's about as good as the system can get.

Good luck, Drew
Old 07-26-2003, 02:57 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

In this light, what are the thoughts of the web about the aftermarket AC installation being featured in the current (and next) issue of "Excellence?" Would such an approach be applicable for the 964 series to improve the AC?

Jerry Garwick
Old 07-28-2003, 08:46 AM
dondeziner
AutoX

Sounds like a topic for me. I have had a little light shed on my situation. My wife was at the pool the other day and overheard this German fellow saying how he noticed a nice black 911 in the development. She went over to talk with him and realized he was the neighbor that moved in up the block.

She explained my little a/c dilema and he mentioned to her that he used to own quite a few 911 in Germany and worked on them extensively. He told my wife to for me to give him a call and he would help me out.

Isn't this the whole concept of "be a good neighbor" ? I like to have neighbors like this!
Old 07-28-2003, 11:03 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Jerry Garwick
In this light, what are the thoughts of the web about the aftermarket AC installation being featured in the current (and next) issue of "Excellence?" Would such an approach be applicable for the 964 series to improve the AC?

Jerry Garwick
Hey Jerry,

I would concentrate on just making the installed system work as-new. Unlike earlier 911s, the 964's AC was pretty good (if not fabulous) straight from the factory. Good enough to blow 45F or less on a moderately warm day, and ~55F on a really hot day.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:21 AM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Randall

I've been following your comments about hvac with interest. I've been putting off this skunk for a year, but have started the repair by ordering a new rear blower motor (mine has fried bearings) from Strasse. I should get it on Tues and will go from there. Don't be surprised if I bug you in the near future as a local source. I'm from the Fresno area.

Jerry
'91 cab with same old engine
Old 07-28-2003, 03:29 PM
anewbill
Instructor

Don,

I live in Charlotte, NC and have been very happy with the service I have recieved from Jim Burton over at Euroworks.
Heres the address and phone.
(704) 882-6466
13601 Unit C, E. Independence Blvd.
Indian Trail, NC
Old 07-28-2003, 05:03 PM
dondeziner
AutoX

Thanks big time Andy. I'll give him a call and drop your name.

Thanks again.

Don

Quick Reply: a/c problems