Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The silly little question thread ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 01:40 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

I am not confrontational by nature and here in LA, unless there is someone standing over a body with a smoking Uzi, LAPD won't be coming.

A really good set of D90s will cost me $400, any problem that can be solved with $400 is not a problem.

Ironically, until the recent hand off from father to son, the shop was reliable and well known locally. I will confine my experience to Yelp in case that helps any newcomers and leave the LAPD to get on with more pressing matters.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:12 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by klokwerk
I've been meaning to ask this since buying my car....
Does anyone else's car beep while driving and the door locked?

It's the alarm, but why is it beeping (every 30 seconds or so) and pretty quietly too, but enough to be annoying, while driving?

Can I disable this? I've been driving around with the doors unlocked to avoid it. Kinda driving me nuts.
I think this is the coils that energize the flasher fitted in the lock button. My door skins are off and I can still hear it.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:13 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I've found that smacking on the caliper with a shot mallet while bleeding, seems to help dislodge the air bubbles.
Agree. I'll let them sit overnight as well to let the bubbles collect at the top.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:57 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

^^ aha ... Will remember those 2 suggestions
Old 03-04-2016, 05:16 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Guys, my interior blower fan runs at a speed of about 2 when the car is on, even if the switch is on 0. Can't turn it off no matter what levers I move or buttons I push. I can increase the speed to 3 and 4, but can't decrease it below 2. Any suggestions on what could be culprit? Thanks!
Old 03-04-2016, 06:02 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Originally Posted by dhc905
Wow, glad this forum didn't have the nuclear codes during the Cold War.

I'd say talk to him. you've been a loyal customer for a long time, and you didn't know he was charging you storage fees. Tell him you will call it even for the headliner screw up and ask for the wheels back. If he demurs, I'd threaten to tell a wider audience about the situation, and if that still doesn't work threaten to call the police. But seriously, regardless of how in the right you may be, if you strut onto my property and threaten to call the police on me, you leave very few positive outcomes remaining for either party.
LOL

I don't think anyone is suggesting that he storm in and call the police, however unless there are clearly posted signs about fees he can't just arbitrarily impose them. The man is clearly being unreasonable and trying to charge him the cost to replace the headliner by charging him storage fees. Assuming he damaged the headliner he is responsible to repair it. If smart he has insurance to cover mistakes like this or he steps up fixes the problem and only charge out of pocket expenses like the cost of the headliner and glue. I would not consider it unreasonable to discuss a splitting of the cost for any parts that are damaged in removing the glass which is needed to complete the job. It is a huge undertaking and if not done properly will look worse than a small tear.

There are a number of possible ways the shop could have dealt with this without taking a stand that he owes storage fees five times the value of a set of wheels. He played it wrong and now clearly sees that he has lost his customer making him a bit of a schmuck.

Originally Posted by ilko
Guys, my interior blower fan runs at a speed of about 2 when the car is on, even if the switch is on 0. Can't turn it off no matter what levers I move or buttons I push. I can increase the speed to 3 and 4, but can't decrease it below 2. Any suggestions on what could be culprit? Thanks!
Did you remove your rear blower? When you have the time bring it over we can put the hammer on it and see what fault codes come up.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:11 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Nope, rear blower still there. Funny thing is, my 993 does the same thing. Started last fall on both cars... We'll speak on Sunday, thank you for the offer Tony!
Old 03-04-2016, 06:31 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Nope, rear blower still there. Funny thing is, my 993 does the same thing. Started last fall on both cars... We'll speak on Sunday, thank you for the offer Tony!
Actually it sounds like a failed Thermoswitch. There is a small coil in the rear tube along with a temperature sensor (long pointy thing). The thermoswitch is designed to run the fan to cool the engine in case the engine fan fails. It is a cheap item. You can pull the little coil it is about 1.5" or so plastic piece with two wires leading to it. If you remove that you will see the coil and underneath it there is a small piece that is the thermoswitch which might have failed or your engine fan has failed and the heat blew the switch. Once this blows the fan will run permanently.

Check that your rear fan is working properly.

We can try swapping it out with mine. I might have a spare but you can get them from tech tactics and save 10% lol. P/N 964 616 550 02

I am not sure when these first went into the 964 but I know they used version 00 in 1990 which did not have the thermoswitch. The 993 should have the same part.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:31 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Yep, I know which one it is. I'm going to most drive the 964 to Tech Tactics unless it snows and see if the thermoswitch fixes it. Do you mind bringing yours so I can test it in the parking lot? I don't want to pay $60 if it ends up being something else.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:33 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Yep, I know which one it is. I'm going to most drive the 964 to Tech Tactics unless it snows and see if the thermoswitch fixes it. Do you mind bringing yours so I can test it in the parking lot? I don't want to pay $60 if it ends up being something else.
No problem just send me a text tomorrow to remind me. I will throw it in the car. I can bring the hammer too but that takes time.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:30 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

I have a nearly new thermoswitch, bought not long ago but no heat now anyway. Can ship it to your for not that much if it turns out to be the culprit. When my thermoswitch went though, the rear blower would turn on high speed as soon as I turned on the ignition.

Perhaps a very silly question, but would the 996 dual mass flywheel mate up to the 964
Old 03-04-2016, 10:51 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Thanks Alex, I'll ping you if that ends up being the problem.

996 Turbo and GT3 yes, they share the engine/transmission with the 964. The "regular" 996 I'm not so sure.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:20 AM
Johannvb
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Stumped by part without partnumber

A couple of weeks ago while replacing my transmission mount this rubber part fel from the car and I have absolutely no idea what it is. This rubber thingy came falling out when I removed the cover that goes under the transmission. It is reasonably soft rubber about an inch high and maybe half an inch wide. I though it might have something to do with dampening, but I have been unable to figure out where it came from. There is no part number on it either. Does this look familiar to anyone?

Old 03-05-2016, 11:53 AM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Ok, so I finally got around to swapping my new hood in and for the life of me I can't get the latchment to work. Everything lines up, but I have a feeling it's in the "locked" position. I tightened my hood latch cable (feels much better, easy to do, highly recommend) and there's a pretty full play in the detacher.

I made a quick video:

Last edited by dhc905; 03-05-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:49 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johannvb
A couple of weeks ago while replacing my transmission mount this rubber part fel from the car and I have absolutely no idea what it is. This rubber thingy came falling out when I removed the cover that goes under the transmission. It is reasonably soft rubber about an inch high and maybe half an inch wide. I though it might have something to do with dampening, but I have been unable to figure out where it came from. There is no part number on it either. Does this look familiar to anyone?

It is the rubber portion of an isolation mount. These are used to hold the oil tank and other parts in place. There are metal ends with studs that re part of it. They dry out and the rubber piece usually breaks off on one side. Yours seems to have completely failed and needs to be replaced.

You can see one at the top of the oil tank support in this picture there are several in different locations.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: The silly little question thread ...