Sponsored by:

The silly little question thread ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015 | 05:31 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RallyeChris
On my center console, the top 3 buttons/icons illuminate amber. The spoiler switch/icon illuminates green. Is this correct? Thanks.
Mine are the same. I had to replace the bulbs recently and they are white, so the color comes from the cover.
Old 11-06-2015 | 06:33 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GBX
problem is that the exhaust setup is new to me so I can't tell if its just loud or the secondary is cracked. Any tell tale sounds of a cracked one?
Only way I can think of, is to take the muffler off and have a good look. Not a big job at all. Jack up the right rear, remove the wheel, then unscrew the 2 nuts at the front of the muffler and remove the clamp holding the primary to the secondary and you are done.

Old 11-07-2015 | 12:12 AM
MikeP.
Instructor

Mine are the same. I had to replace the bulbs recently and they are white, so the color comes from the cover.

How did you replace the bulbs? Solder in new ones?
Old 11-07-2015 | 12:14 AM
MikeP.
Instructor

Originally Posted by swftiii .
Old 11-07-2015 | 12:41 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by crg53
Only way I can think of, is to take the muffler off and have a good look. Not a big job at all. Jack up the right rear, remove the wheel, then unscrew the 2 nuts at the front of the muffler and remove the clamp holding the primary to the secondary and you are done.

Or jack up the rear and move your hand around under the exhaust -without touching it obviously!!! - and you might be able to feel exhaust blowing thru where it shdnt be
Old 11-07-2015 | 06:55 AM
peter_jansen
Instructor

Originally Posted by swftiii
That's what I have.
Old 11-08-2015 | 10:31 AM
Canneryrow
Advanced

Should the ignition key also work on the front bonnet lock?
Old 11-08-2015 | 11:21 AM
tdiquattro
Racer

Originally Posted by Canneryrow
Should the ignition key also work on the front bonnet lock?
Yep, on a Targa? it might need a bit of WD40 and a wiggle, also fits glovebox.
eta, some cars have had new ign barrel so they no longer match.
Old 11-08-2015 | 01:18 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

I've just removed all the parts to delete the charcoal canister and the sensor circled in red is part of the system

I'm assumming it is a pressure sensor but what does it effect on the engine and how do I get rid of it?
Old 11-08-2015 | 05:16 PM
Canneryrow
Advanced

Originally Posted by tdiquattro
Yep, on a Targa? it might need a bit of WD40 and a wiggle, also fits glovebox.
eta, some cars have had new ign barrel so they no longer match.
Thank you. Yes, a targa. The key works on the glovebox. But, not the bonnet catch. WD40 it is then!
Old 11-08-2015 | 05:42 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr.
I've just removed all the parts to delete the charcoal canister and the sensor circled in red is part of the system

I'm assumming it is a pressure sensor but what does it effect on the engine and how do I get rid of it?
It's not a sensor, it's a solenoid valve. It's controlled by the dme and opens and closes to vent the charcoal canister. I'm pretty sure you'll get a CEL if you disconnect it.
Old 11-09-2015 | 11:11 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dsan
Is there anyway to adjust the forward/backward fitment or movement of a sunroof? I fitted new seals and now the sunroof won't lift up that final 1/4 inch to sit flush in the back. It seals fine, just my ocd can't seem to let it go.
It should be a direct replacement if you did everything correctly. Before you try to adjust anything make sure the new seal is not the problem. Unfortunately it is hard to describe how to adjust.

The picture shows it best even though it is not clear. The area circled in blue has a screw you should have not touched when removing the sunroof. This is the adjustment screw. It has a series of step blocks that have notches that will ratchet, so to speak, the height of the sunroof. Do not remove the screw if you can help. Loosen the screw slightly and press up on the sunroof in the closed position until it is at the desired height and tighten.

Just double check everything first if the roof is not properly adjusted it could get scratched.
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2015 | 12:56 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr.

As others have said, its a valve. The valve is normally-closed and opens when energised by the ECU. Under certain conditions, when the engine is within mid-range RPM, the ECU will pulse the valve open/closed for a short period to pull through and burn the gases accumulated in the charcoal canister. If you are discarding this then you'll need to block the hose going into the plenum.

You don't want to leave the vent from the canister open to the air (especially in the engine bay) as you'll get a build up of petrol fumes when the car is at rest.

There are a few easy ways round this though using a simple plastic vacuum operated valve driven off manifold pressure(928.110.429.08) This approach is nothing new and has been done on many other cars for years. Take the vent hose from the tank and connect it to one side of the vacuum valve. You then have two options on where to connect the other side of the valve.

Option 1, run the line to the upstream side of the air-mass sensor/air-box (or throttle butterfly if you've binned the mass sensor)

Option 2, insert a very narrow 1mm restrictor into the line and run it to the manifold (down-stream side of the butterfly)

This way, when the engine is running the manifold vacuum will open the valve allowing the gasses to flow, and close the vent off when the engine stops.

Last edited by robt964; 11-09-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2015 | 12:33 AM
dhc905
Banned

Ok body-shop folks: I bought a new rubber "smile" and this is what I've got now that I've tightened all the nuts and bolts .
Anyway, is the smile supposed to be above the fender and below the frunk as shown below? You can see the "bubbling" up of part of the smile in the second picture...

Old 11-10-2015 | 12:41 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

I ordered the replacement from Porsche. Not cheap, but it is the bulb and the green board.

-Skip

Originally Posted by MikeP.

Quick Reply: The silly little question thread ...