Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petrolicious: Driving This Porsche 964 Hot Rod Leaves No Room for Indifference

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 09:17 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

the just did a video on the growler....great vid IMO!

Anyone know the engine and exhaust specs on this car?

Originally Posted by christallon
OK, so hre are a few more details:

-Lt Wt RS Glass, doors and side wings only.
-removed rear brake light assembly on rear glass
-One piece Lt Wt bumper RS aftermarket panel
-Seat belt mounts welded onto cage for standard belts
-Rear cage aligns with B Pillar beautifully, ergo need for seat belt mount
-Color matched brake inlets, headlight surrounds, and Carrera script
-Lt Wt Perlon Carpet (Excellent job)
-Fuse box elimnated in engine bay (weight savings) fuses and wires loose, which needs something to clean that up
-Air bag delete (passenger side drilled)
-Previously mentioned knee pad delete, so no glove box etc, but with neat and tidy trim piece in place
-Tight little aero mirrors
-Lt Wt Flywheel kit etc
-Lt Wt battery and hardware
Also, what does it take to remove 400lbs while keeping the car steerable?
Old 08-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Evan Fullerton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Light weight interior, inner bumper removal, fiberglass hood, sunroof delete, 993 front suspension uprights, 993 HVAC, PS delete, and a 993 exhaust with a 2in-2out 90's Camaro fitment muffler is what make the majority of the weight reduction.

The motor has some mild cams, blueprinting, and a tune from Steve Wong to go with the 993 exhaust manifolds. It runs strong. I did a 1:32.1 on the big track at Willow Springs in it right before Alex bought it and with a little tweaking there was more time to be had. It pulled 143mph down the front straight which I found more impressive.

It's a great car that James and Tyson Schmidt had been fiddling with for years and Alex really took it to the next level by finishing off the interior at a high level, doing a proper roof transplant sunroof delete, and repainting a few things.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:20 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Please tell me how the 993 HVAC is lighter than the 964 HVAC...
Old 08-06-2015, 03:41 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I love the text, added by Jalopnik, used to intro the video on their webpage:
http://jalopnik.com/a-hot-rod-porsch...r-n-1722200158

You don’t even need to like 911s to appreciate how perfect a hot rod Porsche 964 really is.

If you bought a car for just the sheer driving experience and the fun factor of it, there comes a point when you’ll want to make it go faster, and perhaps even race it.

If you have a cheap but rare economy car like I do, it’s probably not a good idea to spend all the money in the world just to turn it into the perfect classic racer with more Abarth parts than Autobianchi. Not because it won’t raise its resale value, but because you know that it’s not your final car, and there will be a point when you move on to something more serious.

But if you happen to have a Porsche 964, you’re there already. There’s no need for a faster car, there’s no need for an older car, there’s no need for a more modern 911. The 964 is it, and has been for a while now, which means they will only get more expensive.

With a massaged engine, a smarter suspension, a minor brake upgrade and enough weight thrown out, you won’t ever need more.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:16 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

One of my favorite 964
Old 08-07-2015, 10:45 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
OK, so hre are a few more details:

-Lt Wt RS Glass, doors and side wings only.
-removed rear brake light assembly on rear glass
-One piece Lt Wt bumper RS aftermarket panel
-Seat belt mounts welded onto cage for standard belts
-Rear cage aligns with B Pillar beautifully, ergo need for seat belt mount
-Color matched brake inlets, headlight surrounds, and Carrera script
-Lt Wt Perlon Carpet (Excellent job)
-Fuse box elimnated in engine bay (weight savings) fuses and wires loose, which needs something to clean that up
-Air bag delete (passenger side drilled)
-Previously mentioned knee pad delete, so no glove box etc, but with neat and tidy trim piece in place
-Tight little aero mirrors
-Lt Wt Flywheel kit etc
-Lt Wt battery and hardware
I hate to say it but to drop 400 pounds you have to make a huge amount of changes other than what is listed here. I bet this car is closer to 2850 pounds which still makes for a handling difference.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:52 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I hate to say it but to drop 400 pounds you have to make a huge amount of changes other than what is listed here. I bet this car is closer to 2850 pounds which still makes for a handling difference.
+1

Still has AC...
Old 08-07-2015, 12:29 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That's faster than an 08 Gallardo SL or a 997.2GT3 RS. Impressive

Originally Posted by Evan Fullerton

The motor has some mild cams, blueprinting, and a tune from Steve Wong to go with the 993 exhaust manifolds. It runs strong. I did a 1:32.1 on the big track at Willow Springs in it right before Alex bought it and with a little tweaking there was more time to be had. It pulled 143mph down the front straight which I found more impressive..
Old 08-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Hot rod enough, but not too hot rod. Excellent!
Old 08-07-2015, 01:18 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
This is exactly what I'm looking for. Hot rod enough, but not too hot rod. Excellent!

Unfortunately I believe you just missed out on a gorgeous 89 C4 with lots of RUF goodies and all original parts.

How interested are you? I wasn't thinking of selling but I am running out of garage space and have a very nice 93 C2 with 60k miles and all the suspension, brake and other upgrades 290 hp but my price is probably unrealistic.

Also your wheels look fantastic on my track build BTW they went to good use.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:37 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Unfortunately I believe you just missed out on a gorgeous 89 C4 with lots of RUF goodies and all original parts.

How interested are you? I wasn't thinking of selling but I am running out of garage space and have a very nice 93 C2 with 60k miles and all the suspension, brake and other upgrades 290 hp but my price is probably unrealistic.

Also your wheels look fantastic on my track build BTW they went to good use.
pm me whatcha got... always worth a look :-)
Old 08-07-2015, 02:41 PM
ChrisG89
Advanced

... and a 993 exhaust with a 2in-2out 90's Camaro fitment muffler ...
The car is incredible and one of the best 964 sounding setups I've heard!

Didn't know you could fit 993 exhaust on 964?
Old 08-07-2015, 05:27 PM
Evan Fullerton
Instructor

I've seen it on the scales, it's 2650ish without driver. My 993 RSR clone was down to 2450lb stripped out as a race car with fiberglass front fenders but more cage and bigger brakes. 275lb (75lb more cage, brakes, and bigger wheels) of interior, air conditioning, and steel fronts sounds about right to me.

Everything on the Growler was done with an eye for weight. Titanium hardware was used in some locations....... but that was mainly because safety wire drilled titanium bolt heads just look the business.

Last edited by Evan Fullerton; 08-07-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:41 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lovely car, like everything about except the name.

Was it called the 'Mumbler' before doing the muffler deletes as in the UK 'Growler' is slang for a lady's front bottom

I'll let you USA guys work out what 'Mumbler' is slang for!

Last edited by Captain Ahab Jr.; 08-07-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:28 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I've seen it on the scales, it's 2650ish without driver. My 993 RSR clone was down to 2450lb stripped out as a race car with fiberglass front fenders but more cage and bigger brakes. 275lb (75lb more cage, brakes, and bigger wheels) of interior, air conditioning, and steel fronts sounds about right to me.

Everything on the Growler was done with an eye for weight. Titanium hardware was used in some locations....... but that was mainly because safety wire drilled titanium bolt heads just look the business.

This is with or without fluids? Without would make more sense but still tough with full HVAC and power windows etc.

I was shocked to see that some of the aluminum 993 parts added little to no weight savings due to the added material needed to perform the same task as the cast iron. You can eek 3 pounds out of the front carrier and maybe a little more with alloy shocks but that is all you save per corner and then if you go big brakes it is right back. Sunroof was huge but I found gutting out the doors was even a bigger savings but then you have plastic manual windows which is nothing I would want on a street car.

Getting a 993 down to 2450 takes a bit of work must have removed anything that wasn't needed and maybe some that was.

I am sure the Captain has all the weights to figure out what it would take to get it down to 2650 dry. But I think the list must be longer than what was posted by a little.

Quick Reply: Petrolicious: Driving This Porsche 964 Hot Rod Leaves No Room for Indifference