Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petrolicious: Driving This Porsche 964 Hot Rod Leaves No Room for Indifference

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:17 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default Petrolicious: Driving This Porsche 964 Hot Rod Leaves No Room for Indifference

A very nice read...

Written and photographed by Alexander Bermudez

Owner: Alexander Bermudez
Year, Make, and Model: 1990 Porsche 964 Hot Rod

When I'm not racing with the Porsche Owners Club, I'll take this Carrera RS clone into the San Gabriel Mountains which are conveniently located 15 minutes from my home. There is nothing quite like canyon blasting at the crack of dawn. I love this car's unapologetic rawness—it pounces to life when you grab it by the scruff of its neck and drive it hard ("The Growler" was perfectly nicknamed by fellow POC member Carolyn Pappas).

I bought The Growler from Tyson Schmidt of Hergesheimer Motorsports, a good friend of mine, who bought it from a mutual friend. Both owners spent considerable time and resources modifying the car, and I am extremely lucky to be the beneficiary of their efforts!

When Tyson casually mentioned that he was looking to sell his car, I thought little of it. After all, my fixation with getting a 997 GT3 RS, left little room for anything else, especially a clone! The day Tyson mentioned it, we parted ways after I'd agreed halfheartedly to take the car for a spin at a later date.

http://www.petrolicious.com/driving-this-porsche-964-hot-rod-leaves-no-room-for-indifference

Old 12-30-2013, 02:12 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

911Jetta,

You are a mind reader. I just saw this last night and was going to post it up for the board to see and noticed this. Damn dude!!!

I saw this car yesterday at our local Sunday Cars thing we do in our neighborhood every month. The owner is a great guy!!! This is a thing of beauty! He recons it weighs under 2,700 pounds and that includes AC. He is using the 993 compressor which he claims is lighter than the 964 unit. (Anyone know the weight diff?) Also has a carbon fiber trunk lid.

Anyway, Tyson built the car, He was with Wevo and is now at Hergesheimers in OC. He is a mechanix extrodinaire and a real shoe to boot (no pun inteneded) LOVE this car. The custom rear cage is beautiful, so well thought out and implemented. The custom 2 out exhaust utilizes a Magnaflow can centered in the rear, and sounds simply spectacular. The motor has been massaged a little, (read hotter cam). Brakes are 993, suspension is likely Wevo, and with the weight loss, this car is the ****e! I hope to drive it soon, we simply ran out of time yesterday.

I look forward to discussing the details of this car as this thread develops. Click on the link to see the full article and more pics. Notice the removal of the knee pad and what replaces it.... Those types of details make it for me, and for those of you unaware of the Petrolicious site, be prepared for hours and hours of lost time :-)))

Gawd I love these cars
Old 12-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Yea, definitely in for details of this car. The article is rather high-level in that respect.

Articles like this keep making 964 more and more desirable.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:41 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
911Jetta,

You are a mind reader. I just saw this last night and was going to post it up for the board to see and noticed this. Damn dude!!![
I have a super computer that sorts all of the 964 content from the interwebs. Plus, I benefited from the time zone... and am addicted to Petrolicious too.

...Anyway, Tyson built the car, He was with Wevo and is now at Hergesheimers in OC. He is a mechanix extrodinaire and a real shoe to boot (no pun inteneded)
I remember reading Tyson's (964 related) posts over at Pelican. He is the man, and saw the potential in these cars a long time ago.

I look forward to discussing the details of this car as this thread develops. Click on the link to see the full article and more pics. Notice the removal of the knee pad and what replaces it.... Those types of details make it for me, and for those of you unaware of the Petrolicious site, be prepared for hours and hours of lost time :-)))

Gawd I love these cars
More, more details. This is what I want my 964 to grow up to be.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:58 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

OK, so hre are a few more details:

-Lt Wt RS Glass, doors and side wings only.
-removed rear brake light assembly on rear glass
-One piece Lt Wt bumper RS aftermarket panel
-Seat belt mounts welded onto cage for standard belts
-Rear cage aligns with B Pillar beautifully, ergo need for seat belt mount
-Color matched brake inlets, headlight surrounds, and Carrera script
-Lt Wt Perlon Carpet (Excellent job)
-Fuse box elimnated in engine bay (weight savings) fuses and wires loose, which needs something to clean that up
-Air bag delete (passenger side drilled)
-Previously mentioned knee pad delete, so no glove box etc, but with neat and tidy trim piece in place
-Tight little aero mirrors
-Lt Wt Flywheel kit etc
-Lt Wt battery and hardware
Old 12-30-2013, 03:27 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wonderful car! Just a perfect little hot rod.

Only thing I'd do is shorten up the gearbox (tehe).
Old 12-30-2013, 03:50 PM
mf_rsr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it, but is any mod to the 964 now the becoming of a 'hot rod'?! To me its just a very nice RS recreation?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:37 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mf_rsr
I like it, but is any mod to the 964 now the becoming of a 'hot rod'?! To me its just a very nice RS recreation?
Probably not, I merely used the word without deep thought.

Not that I'm capable of deep thought...

...but is it seam welded?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:41 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

You're good Kai, he's referring to the title of the article.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:11 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Hot rod,not rod it's a nice looking car with some neat mods going for it so far & I bet there's more to come yet!! You do find good stuff on that 964 super computer jetta!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like this one, especially the one piece rear bumper with twin exhausts
Old 01-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Chris, Its the template for Your car
Old 01-01-2014, 05:36 PM
9six4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's my kind of car. Hopefully by spring mine will be a little less stock!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:33 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Any info on the engine mods?
Old 01-01-2014, 10:00 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Happy New Year Henrik. This car is so cool and thought out. Hope you are well! How are your cars coming along? Best to you and your family!!!

Don't know much about the motor as the owner is not all that mechanically inclined, although he does race in the Boxster series, and I understand he is a pretty hot shoe. I know it's got a cam and lighter valves.... I believe.

9six4, love seeing your car on jacks and being prepped for some mods. Keep us posted on it's development. I want that kind of space in my garage

Happy New Year all!!!

Quick Reply: Petrolicious: Driving This Porsche 964 Hot Rod Leaves No Room for Indifference