Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive-Thru-Drinks (ultimate road trip convenience)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 12:31 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts
Default Drive-Thru-Drinks (ultimate road trip convenience)

Went cycling in the mountains yesterday. Part of my dual-sport training. Spirited driving, spirited cycling, followed by more spirited driving home.

It was a bluebird day in the mountains, but it’s the middle of winter, so there wasn’t much to shoot that looked attractive. Plus driving was the focus; believe me there are some really nice curvy roads in back country North Carolina. Most stretches were familiar, but I’m always on the lookout for new sections and I’m happy to report I found a few.

In the quest to create a perfect road-trip loop, I've found a wonderful road side amenity, a drive-thru convenience store. Gas outside, food and drinks inside. Drinks, beer even, are all brought to your window. Seriously, you don't even have to get out of your car.

Can't wait to come back and retake these shots with 10 other Porsches. I'm adding this to the map.

Now, is there any good BBQ nearby??

Old 12-28-2013, 01:59 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

5 of 9 is awesome... !
Old 12-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Another great set of pictures of your ongoing 964 adventures.

It's funny you mention this drive-thru convenience store concept and that they even sell beer. In my hometown of Laredo, TX (small border town with Mexico), there's a handful of these types of establishments in town, and they take the business model several steps further.

In addition to selling alcohol in closed containers, they sell mixed drinks and, get this, the drive-thru attendants are all stripper material and dress/act the part too. You won't see actual nudity (well, you're not suppose to, but maybe if you tip them well enough, since i've heard rumors/stories of the girls giving lap dances and other indecent exposure), but you'll definitely see a lot of booties, *****, and stripper heels.

NSFW (Not safe for work), replace the "xx" with "tt" in the URL. Youtube may ask you to log in since it is age restricted material, lol
hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DnG1vEg-9g
Old 12-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a drive-thru packie in my neighborhood in philly. I could walk there, but the idea of not getting out of the car for a keg brought a tear to my eye.

God bless 'merica
Old 12-28-2013, 03:54 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Where in NC is that? I'm from NC originally
Old 12-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Ducks964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We used to have one in Wilmington, NC called The Brew Thru. You could even get kegs with your bag of potato chips. Unfortunately it has been gone for years.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:17 PM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Love it... One of many things I've loved about the South since I moved down here
Old 12-28-2013, 08:20 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducks964
We used to have one in Wilmington, NC called The Brew Thru. You could even get kegs with your bag of potato chips. Unfortunately it has been gone for years.
Yeah, there used to be one in Lincolnton (outside of Charlotte).
Old 12-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 309 Posts

In my best cockadile dundee voice..."now THAT'S a drive through"
Old 12-29-2013, 09:04 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

So cool.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Jetta,

I gotta ask... perhaps it's been covered before... but how do you keep your car looking prime ALL the time?

I mean, the shine is awesome, the rubber looks nice and black... it all looks awesome.

As if your car doesn't get driven... BUT I know it does.

External cosmetics are on the list for 2014 for my Jubi and I want to hit the road running
Old 12-29-2013, 10:13 PM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Cool idea! Imagine the drive-thru lined up with Porsches!
Old 12-30-2013, 11:03 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
...In my hometown of Laredo, TX (small border town with Mexico), there's a handful of these types of establishments in town, and they take the business model several steps further.

In addition to selling alcohol in closed containers, they sell mixed drinks and, get this, the drive-thru attendants are all stripper material and dress/act the part too. You won't see actual nudity (well, you're not suppose to, but maybe if you tip them well enough, since i've heard rumors/stories of the girls giving lap dances and other indecent exposure), but you'll definitely see a lot of booties, *****, and stripper heels
Now I like that place much, much better. Sounds like the perfect place for a PCA drive!

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
I had a drive-thru packie in my neighborhood in philly. I could walk there, but the idea of not getting out of the car for a keg brought a tear to my eye.

God bless 'merica
I was thinking the same thing! I wanted to buy a beer right then and there to celebrate the convenience... but I still had 2 hrs to drive.

Originally Posted by zirrah
Where in NC is that? I'm from NC originally
Near Walnut Cove, NC. About 30 minutes north on Greensboro. I think...

Originally Posted by Navaros911
Jetta,
I gotta ask... perhaps it's been covered before... but how do you keep your car looking prime ALL the time?
It has to be the color, Slate Grey? I do keep it clean (after driving the heck out of it), as it's so fun to wash this beautiful shape, but I really think it's because of the color.

New for 2014, I was gifted some AMMO Skin Defense Coat and Hydrate Paint
Moisturizer
(no affil). I'm really looking forward to trying the Skin Def. Coat, it's a sticky polymer-based coating that adheres to the clear coat.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

I used to live in a little town in Ohio... Wooster. We had this type of drive through also. It always struck me as very odd, buying beer from a drive-through.

Seen 'em in Arizona, too. For some odd reason, Arizona seems to be big on stores that feature three unrelated items, although one of them is generally guns. On a trip to Sedona, saw many stores with signs like "Guns, Liquor, Flowers," or "Guitars, Guns, Fresh Produce" and such.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:41 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Interested to see the results with the AMMO products. Read up on the website a bit, but all marketing talk... real life feedback is the only info I trust on these products

Jetta: not just the color I believe... I've seen a Cayman R in Seal Grey and while very nice, it doesn't look anywhere near as nice as your car. Perhaps it's the way it's detailed, maybe even the way your camera captures the car. You got a secret combo there.

I know what you mean with washing the car. At a service cost of $30 per month for a thrice a week car wash, I wash her myself once a week... call me cheap if you want... I consider it therapy.

Quick Reply: Drive-Thru-Drinks (ultimate road trip convenience)