Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Peppa 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great result. I fitted HIDs on mine. Dipped is HID and high beam is normal. The set was less than £30 on eBay and fitted a treat. No drilling etc as the low profile of the ballast fit in the bowl without issue. Already one MOT under its belt with no problem

I'm still getting used to these old design h/lamp lenses as they throw out the beam pattern of the glass on the road whereas modern cars have clear lenses.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:31 PM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like Peppa's going to need a new rear bumper. Unluckily on Christmas Eve someone hit the rear bumper, cracked it and did not leave any details. I didn't see who it was, so my 8 years NCB is at risk. Arghhh. So decided that I might as well my a claim as that's what its for. I decided against having the car done by their default bodyshop and nominated Tower Porsche to carry out the repair.

This morning I'm driving the car to Tower to get them to do an estimate for the work and in slow moving traffic, some muppet not paying attention drive's into the rear bumper. UNBELIEVABLE. The other side of the centre piece is now cracked and the paint crazed on the other side. Not clever at all. So i get his details and now the insurance company have to argue with the new guy's insurers about how much damage they have to pay for. John at Tower basically said both of the accidents would have required very simlar levels of work. But now it's complicated. There's no question that today's guy's insurance is going to have to cough up something he has done some damage.

On the plus side recent oil change and tappit adjustment and the car feels very smooth indeed.

Last edited by MusicMadMike; 01-07-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: mispell
Old 01-07-2014, 12:43 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a bummer Mike.

I nearly did the same to myself the other week, hit reverse instead of 1st in traffic on the motorway, left a bit of a gap in front of me for a bit of a launch and I took off at great speed backwards, much to the alarm of the transit behind me.

Did you get Paul Sage to do your tappets, was that a post run in adjustment?
Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 PM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Originally Posted by alexjc4
That's a bummer Mike.

I nearly did the same to myself the other week, hit reverse instead of 1st in traffic on the motorway, left a bit of a gap in front of me for a bit of a launch and I took off at great speed backwards, much to the alarm of the transit behind me.

Did you get Paul Sage to do your tappets, was that a post run in adjustment?
Yeah Paul did that, wasn't much adjustment needed apparently, but the valve covers and timing chain covers needed re-torquing, there was the beginning of a bit of oil weep. Paul was a bit confused on this as they were done up to correct settings. But all good now.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:37 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Mike,

That sucks. This is something that had happened to me twice. Here's my outlook....

Problem:
Our cars are very low. More so in comparison to modern cars - we're less visible. Our brake lights are thus very low, add the fact that they are very small and it's a recipe for collision. Then add the fact that our cars are black and you've basically got all the odds against ya.

Solution:
I decided that it was just a matter of time before a serious accident could take place. So I added a 993 third brake light/ spoiler - thus raising the brake light visibility to the top of the rear windscreen. I then went on eBay and bought a cheap flashing module to make the third brake light really visible.

Passes MOT no problem, never been stopped by the Old Bill and cars behind me take real notice of it as it's not what they're expecting/ they're curiosity takes over. As a result I rarely have any cars ride my bumper, especially once I flash the lights with a blip of the brakes.

Clever little kit. It only flashes if you don't use the brake pedal for 7 seconds and then do. If you use it again within that period it acts as normal. Also helps on track.

Food for thought.

You can see it working at 0.25 seconds here,

Old 01-07-2014, 03:50 PM
geordie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I like that!

Touch wood I've never had any sort of prang which is pretty incredible considering the general driving standard in my neck of the woods.

I do have this though V
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2014, 04:02 PM
Zingari
Pro

Second the third brake light option. That's why I had mine fitted plus it looks good!

Reference the blinking module is this the one? No mention of timed flash then solid light etc?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3212282197...84.m1423.l2649
Old 01-07-2014, 05:31 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by geordie

I do have this though V
/\
I like that!

Originally Posted by Zingari

Reference the blinking module is this the one? No mention of timed flash then solid light etc?
IIRC it's actually this one from the video. Great little gadget and reminds me of an F1 car

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flashing-3...item336716f798
Old 01-07-2014, 05:42 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Really sorry to read this. Especially since the car is so lovely to look at. Here's to a speed repair.

Ilko's 5 light brake light mod is also very handy. It involves using the Euro rear foglight holes as additional brake lights.

But Frank - your explanation for adding the 993 high mount light is very compelling. Canadian 964s came with a high mount 3rd light but it's a bit small and crappy. It actually blocks rearward vision. Not sure if Euro or all US cars had this light. I dislike it.

Last edited by The Stig; 01-08-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:55 AM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Hi Mike,

That sucks. This is something that had happened to me twice. Here's my outlook....

Problem:
Our cars are very low. More so in comparison to modern cars - we're less visible. Our brake lights are thus very low, add the fact that they are very small and it's a recipe for collision. Then add the fact that our cars are black and you've basically got all the odds against ya.

Solution:
I decided that it was just a matter of time before a serious accident could take place. So I added a 993 third brake light/ spoiler - thus raising the brake light visibility to the top of the rear windscreen. I then went on eBay and bought a cheap flashing module to make the third brake light really visible.

Passes MOT no problem, never been stopped by the Old Bill and cars behind me take real notice of it as it's not what they're expecting/ they're curiosity takes over. As a result I rarely have any cars ride my bumper, especially once I flash the lights with a blip of the brakes.

Clever little kit. It only flashes if you don't use the brake pedal for 7 seconds and then do. If you use it again within that period it acts as normal. Also helps on track.

Food for thought.
Do Like the idea of this and I agree the third brakelight looks very good. I had thought about this previously based on a purely asthetic point of view but now I can see the real safety aspect of this too. I'm going to try and source one.

Originally Posted by The Stig
Really sorry to read this. Especially since the car is so lovely to look at. Here's to a speed repair.

Ilko's 5 light brake light mod is also very handy. It involves using the Euro rear foglight holes as additional brake lights.

But Frank - you're explanation for adding the 993 high mount light is very compelling. Canadian 964s came with a high mount 3rd light but it's a bit small and crappy. It actually blocks rearward vision. Not sure if Euro or all US cars had this light. I dislike it.
I know the light you mean and I agree it doesn't really complement the car's lines at all.

Last edited by MusicMadMike; 01-08-2014 at 07:56 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 01-08-2014, 08:01 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by geordie
^ I like that!

Touch wood I've never had any sort of prang which is pretty incredible considering the general driving standard in my neck of the woods.

I do have this though V
Liking the Kimi quote there geordie

Chris
Old 01-08-2014, 08:24 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a slightly more drastic solution:

Old 01-08-2014, 08:32 AM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Originally Posted by alexjc4
There is a slightly more drastic solution:

YES! I like it..
Old 01-08-2014, 11:05 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Stig

But Frank - your explanation for adding the 993 high mount light is very compelling. Canadian 964s came with a high mount 3rd light but it's a bit small and crappy. It actually blocks rearward vision. Not sure if Euro or all US cars had this light. I dislike it.
I think all US cars after 86 had to have a 3rd light.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:56 AM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

1985 and on had third brake light I believe.

Quick Reply: Peppa 2.0