Sponsored by:

Suspension upgrade - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 02:21 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension upgrade - part 1

My car has always felt a bit 'loose' at speed so to tighten things up I've booked it in next week at Regal-auto for Part 1 of a planned suspension upgrade.

My plan is to fit H&R anti-roll bars and replace all wishbone and trailing arm bushes with Powerflex parts.

I'll then drive the car for a couple weeks to see how noticeable the difference is.

Part 2 will be a set of new coilovers, leaning towards a set of Bilstein B16 PSS10's.

Regal have agreed to take photos throughout so I will document the whole process and provide feedback on the difference, starting with the bushes/anti-roll bars next weekend.

My ideal end result will be a car that is low (yet speed-bump friendly), comfortable for daily use and that also feels planted at high road speeds. I imagine that this would be a commonly desired set-up so hopefully my feedback will be of some use.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:24 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

PS there's a good write-up on Regal in this months Total 911, worth a read. Just so happened to coincide with me collecting adequate funds to do the mods stated above, I have no affiliation with Regal so will provide an unbiased opinion of the work. So far (emails only) they have been nothing but friendly and informative.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I did the whole Powerflex bushings all around earlier this year. It's a bunch of work to do, but in the end it worked out well.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:14 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

Good to know, my only complaint with driving my C2 is when at speed, especially over a bumpy road surface the handling feels very 'sloppy' for want of a better word. Hoping that this will soon be a thing of the past.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:09 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Subscribed. Thanks for creating this thread, looking forward to reading your impressions.

Regarding your "sloppy" comment, check your motor mounts too.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:15 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

Thanks Jetta, Regal are going to have a good look around while they are in there, I've told them 'my' symptoms!

Motor mounts are on my to do list but they look fine to my untrained eye, will see what the experts say.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting to hear your results. One main thing I sometimes hear from my local car community is that some of the Powerflex bushings can be noisy and need regular upkeep (lube) to be quiet, which is something I really don't want. Superpro also makes really good stuff, not not a lot of products for 964 application.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:41 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

After a much longer than planned install I now have new powerflex bushes, H&R sway bars and KWV3s. To see if I could notice any difference I had the work carried out in 2 stages, bushes/bars first then suspension a couple of weeks later. Regal Motorsport did the work and (for UKers reference) I have to say I was impressed - friendly knowledgeable service, and they took the time to put the car on the ramp on the day of collection so they could show me what they had done. Chris also opened the garage on a Sunday (when usually closed) as it was the only day I could manage.

Driving home from Southampton (Regal) after the first stage I definitely noticed a small difference, especially when making sudden turns/lane changes.

The KWV3s followed 2 weeks later, and Regal supplied these (at same price as Design911 for reference) and fitted them at no extra cost - special December deal. The car was dropped off at 8am and ready for collection the next day, including a re-furb to 2 of my Cup 1's. This time on the drive home, despite having reasonable suspension before, the car felt so much more planted and yet still felt a bit floaty at high speed. Having noticed that my engine mounts were shot after a timely Rennlist reminder this wasnt entirely unexpected, and I was more than happy with the improvement. Regal at my request dropped the car a bit lower than it was previously and I'm pretty chuffed with the result.

This weekend I fitted RS Engine mounts to finish this small project. Excluding the removal of the under tray, I reckon I could've replaced both mounts within 20 minutes including torquing. Instead, I rounded off the nut on the 2nd of the mounts, and spent a painful amount of time getting it off (missing incidentally a local Porsche meet as a result, grrr). Anyway, all done now and just waiting for some dry weather to take the car out and determine the collective effect of the above mods.

Havent got much more to say than is already well documented on the installation of the RS mounts, other than:

Very easy job (notwithstanding nut removal) - dont be put off by the suggestions I've seen that the additional nuts/bolts/washers supplied with the mounts make the process complicated, not true IMO.

Follow common advice re: doing one mount at a time, for obvious reasons. Prepare yourself for the engine to move slightly when the first mount is removed, despite plenty of support from below. Didnt sh*t myself much!

Anyway....pics to follow shortly - I know these are common mods but more photos on this great forum the merrier!
Old 01-13-2014, 03:47 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

Photos of existing suspension:
Attached Images      
Old 01-13-2014, 03:49 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

Attached Images      
Old 01-13-2014, 03:51 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

Attached Images   
Old 01-13-2014, 03:56 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

old bits off..
Attached Images    
Old 01-13-2014, 03:58 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

RS Mounts...
Attached Images    
Old 01-13-2014, 04:01 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

Mounts installed...
Attached Images      
Old 01-13-2014, 04:05 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

sorry about crappy iphone pics but you get the idea...

Quick Reply: Suspension upgrade - part 1