Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! Congrats!
Old 04-28-2014, 02:45 PM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Nice, what kind of race was it? Which track? 'Import face off' never heard of that series?
Haha, no race! It was just an import car show they held at the famous National Trails Raceway here in Hebron, OH.

Originally Posted by g60pops
I think it might have been more a 'show and shine' type of win rather than a race.

Either way congratulations on the win and the trophy- nice and big!
That's what she said

Originally Posted by Rey Gunn
Nice! Congrats!
Thanks man!
Old 04-28-2014, 04:09 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love abut of British sarcasm, and also love your car mate, we'll done!!
Old 04-30-2014, 02:13 PM
Booglejfox
AutoX

Congrats all around! Nice color
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2014, 05:13 PM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the silverware bud, well deserved

Better get a trophy cabinet ordered!

Chris
Old 04-30-2014, 05:27 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

They don't have no award for that...

https://soundcloud.com/octobersveryown/drake-trophies
Old 05-01-2014, 06:12 PM
dboeren
Advanced

Love the color and the wheels look great too!
Old 10-03-2014, 12:54 PM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Okay, so the lack of updates has this thread pretty dated. To be fair, not a whole lot has happened, but pictures are always fun to look at, right?

I ended up making the trip to Southern Worthersee in Helen, GA earlier this year with my father, who drives a 996.2 Targa. Had a great time with friends and really just enjoy getting away from reality.

I actually decided last minute I was going to make it to Euro Hangar in Holland, MI, where I actually entered my car into the show for judging for ****s and gigs, and went home with "Best Static" of the day.

During this time, my feature on StanceWorks was released and I was overwhelmed by many in this community and the compliments. I really appreciate it all and love how supportive you guys are here. I'll save everyone from more pictures, but if you haven't seen them yet, google search Andrew Farkas 964 and it should pop up!

As many of you already know, I listed the E26s up for sale and they went to their new owner in Canada, where they are also going on a NB 964. Not sure if he's a member on here, but hopefully I hear from him soon! In the process of selling the E26s, I was in touch with Brian at Rotiform, once again, and was originally in search of Ronal Turbos to be sized in 17s, but he made me a sweet deal I couldn't pass up. He said he had previously made one other set of their VCE wheels in a T model, that somewhat resemble Ronals, but the face had a beautiful concave and windowed face. I was sold immediately. After the E26s, I felt there was still room left on the table for pushing the limits of wheel sizes, so this time I decided on a 17x9 ET35 front, and 17x11 ET20 rear. If anyone was going to make 11s "fit" on a narrow body, it's going to be me. Of course, I just HAD to stay with the gold a purple theme, except I chose a Satin Gold finish.

After looking over the 964 for any new issues that needed attention(of course, needed a new window switch), I had decided the car was ready for a trip to H2Ointernational this year in Ocean City, MD. Roughly a week before I was to depart, I received my brand new wheels from Rotiform on my porch, and got down to business right away. I kept the same 205/45 and 235/40 tires I had previously on the E26s. Every little bit of stretch would be needed.

Dwarfs my hand lol.

Because I was afraid of fouling the oil lines on the passenger side, I went with such a low offset. I didn't know exactly HOW conservative I could be with the offsets on the 11s, but I knew the 10.5 ET32 I had previously was safe, so I used that as a reference.

The initial fit of the wheels went worse than I imagined it would go. The fronts were perfect, and the rears sat on the tires, completely- It was time to get creative.

The stock eccentric bolts for camber are pretty limited, and I had already reached their limit with the E26s. So, in order for me to squeeze out a hair more camber from the rear trailing arms, I found some special grade 10.9 bolts to use in place of the OEM locking bolts for the spring plates.

By doing this I was able to keep the adjustability of the camber eccentric, but with as much camber as I needed to run, the toe eccentric was unable to be adjusted far enough to put me back into OE alignment spec(Hence the reason for asking about the ERP springplate and the Springplate bolt size). I had two choices, buy the ERP springplate at hope that it provided enough adjustability. Or modify my original spring plate. I obviously went with the latter

I realize this alignment still looks like poop on the front as I hadn't touched it yet, but I took this to show that I had the rears basically all "fixed" up. No crazy tire-killing wear from toe scrub

But with all that work, I was left with the greatest feeling of satisfaction when I got it home and was able to snap a solid pic.

room only for the smallest of tit hairs.

By this time, the car had been waxed and I was shortly on my way to OC, MD for a great time with friends, where the car had appeared really anywhere for the first time since May, with a fresh new look. Many people complimented the work, and the wheels, and the overall consensus is that I nailed it. To be honest, I was deathly afraid people would ostracize me for the healthy amount of camber on a porsche, but people say it just works!

Lots of pictures showing up already, but here are a few I've come across

The trip was great and went without any trouble. Jason and Brian at Rotiform were gracious enough to let me join them in their booth for Saturday and Sunday I joined some locals to show support in the Euro Trash booth and their VR6 Turbo swapped 993!

So, that pretty much catches us up to current day. I'm honestly unsure which direction to continue on with this car. Aside from the typical preventative maintenance and working on anything else that might pop up, I'm thinking I might start a search for H4 headlights and start shopping around for a good place to do body work for me. The paint is in great condition for it's age, but again, it does show it's age. My biggest priority is keeping the car in tip-top running condition, and I'm very thankful the car has been problem-free and oddly dry since my purchase just over a year ago.

Another thing I want to touch on that Frank brought up in his satirical thread about "stance". I honestly do realize it's not for everyone, and as I told Frank personally, I have pretty thick skin after hearing about it from others, for years. I know for certain many will look down upon me for what I do, but that doesn't change my enjoyment for the car. I can still drive it just like the rest, and it serves it purpose upon which I intend on using it.

I will say, even though my car might not look the part of others' expectations, it is still cared for and looked after much better than most would lead to believe. Yeah, I probably fall into the typical stereotype of some young stance punk, but I don't need to argue to anyone to prove otherwise. I don't pay anyone to install suspension on my car, or install tires, or turn my wrenches, or rely on mommy and daddy to fund me. I am knowledgeable and hard working, and I feel like I have earned my keep.. I am incredibly grateful for what I have. I am always learning about these great cars by using my own two hands and the awesome resources here at Rennlist available at my fingertips. I am unlike your typical stance idiot, and genuinely here for the camaraderie and support of others who also share my interest. I am a Porsche guy.

I am very happy to share my progress because, as someone mentioned in Frank's thread, they might actually appreciate the work if they understood what it actually took. I really enjoy sharing the atypical, negative response or not.

With that said, I'm not going anywhere

Enjoy!

Last edited by BHCfarkas; 10-03-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

So what exactly did you mod on the OE spring plate?

My ERP plates maxed at -3.0 but at a higher ride height than yours. Even if I was running lower, I doubt they'd be able to get to -6.0.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:18 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Andrew, always good to read your thread and see the latest changes you've made.
It's good that you've mentioned the "other" thread too.
As you said, your car may not be to everyones taste but its good to see whats being done and the effort it takes to get there.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:35 PM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Originally Posted by Vandit
So what exactly did you mod on the OE spring plate?

My ERP plates maxed at -3.0 but at a higher ride height than yours. Even if I was running lower, I doubt they'd be able to get to -6.0.
Well, the ERP plates don't really offer any benefit that I can see, in terms of camber, but the heim adjustable end makes for a wide amount of toe adjustment.

I found that the stock camber eccentrics seemed to max out at pretty close to -4 degrees as low as I was. I was able to gain the extra 2 degrees by switching bolts, but that made it impossible for the OE spring plates to put my toe back into spec.

I could have easily spent the $800 on the ERP pieces, but that wouldn't be me- I'm always brainstorming for alternatives. My first idea was to add a heim joint to the end of the stock spring plate and mimic the ERP piece. Then, the more I thought about it, I did some math and came to the conclusion that I only needed the plate lengthened by a quarter inch, and I would be able to use the original toe eccentric. So that's exactly what I did.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:38 PM
SPDR
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andrew- masterfully executed!

There is no better gratification than having a vision come to fruition and getting your hands a little dirty while doing it I’ve always loved the stance and swagger of your 964. I’m a sucker for BBS wheels and as much as I liked the E26 wheels on your car, these Rotiform wheels take it to another level. Well done!
Old 10-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Mudflaps
Track Day

Looks good rollin arond g-town! Needs more dampfhammer fleischwolf... trololol.

-gabe
Old 10-03-2014, 03:14 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hands down. Well done. As you say each their own. It's nice to read a technical thread on the subject.

I'm glad you don't take me seriously.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Derek911
Rennlist Member

You had me with the BBS wheels. The car was sweet. These Rotiforms with the stretched tires and crazy camber is a bit extreme for my tastes. The tires look like they are about to bust at any minute. Lol. I will give you props on the technical aspect of the build. Great job. I appreciate someone that can improvise and come up with a solution.

Quick Reply: 964 Newcomer! Amethyst content