Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating at track - check here before you invest in an auxiliary oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 03:37 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too just added a secondary OEM cooler. Kai recommended Gamroth- he supplied me with both the cooler and the custom bracket for fitment.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:44 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RSAErick
I don't need another concern, thank you very much. It's hard to save up for performance upgrades, when I'm finding all these preventative maintenance upgrades to spend on...

So, do you have more concern about gear, syncro, or LSD wear from running the tranny hot?

Can I assume that for your purposes (enduro racing?), that transmission cooling is more important than for my 'light' duty. Currently, I'm only doing track days that are limited to 20-30 minute sessions. I'm hoping that fresh transmission oil is sufficient to prevent excessive wear.
Total wear on all parts Erick. You should be fine until you begin to stress your car more.

In your situation though, I'd certainly change out fluid at least twice a year, if not a bit more. Delvac please.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:03 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TrackdayRSA.
I too just added a secondary OEM cooler. Kai recommended Gamroth- he supplied me with both the cooler and the custom bracket for fitment.
Thanks. Did you do this as a preventative measure; or were you experiencing over-heating?

A/C delete simplifies the install of a secondary oil cooler. I would have to think about whether I was willing to remove A/C. The oil cooler setups which work with A/C are more expensive.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:05 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KaiB
Total wear on all parts Erick. You should be fine until you begin to stress your car more.

In your situation though, I'd certainly change out fluid at least twice a year, if not a bit more. Delvac please.
Wow, I certainly haven't been doing it that often. I'll get right on that too.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:31 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Did you do this as a preventative measure; or were you experiencing over-heating?

A/C delete simplifies the install of a secondary oil cooler. I would have to think about whether I was willing to remove A/C. The oil cooler setups which work with A/C are more expensive.
I wasn't seeing problematic temperatures, but it worried me nonetheless since I am doing many more track days in the U.S. (further from home) throughout the hot summer months. As you say, since mine is a non A/C car it is quite straighforward to plumb in a new cooler. My decision came after having a long discussion with my mechanic....he declared high temps as his biggest worry.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:32 PM
KaiB
Banned

Wow, I certainly haven't been doing it that often. I'll get right on that too.
Beat into me by guys who know.

I change mine every 15 hours now (every other race weekend along with most other fluids and the anti-freeze in the radiator). It's certaily easy enough and cost is relatively insignificant.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:50 PM
swaini
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi,
thank you for the interesting thread. i live in dubai and mine is a semi daily driver. our summers are brutal, 48 celsius....118f.
i will definitely take the front bumper and got through what was advised above.
would an auxiliary oil cooler while maintaining a/c affect ac performance?
are auxillary oil coolers which fit parallel to the ac condenser the same size as the condenser or smaller?
for example:
http://www.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/96...r_with_AC.html

thanks.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:03 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Beat into me by guys who know.
Thanks for passinig along the beatings...
Old 08-27-2013, 05:08 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by swaini
hi,
thank you for the interesting thread. i live in dubai and mine is a semi daily driver. our summers are brutal, 48 celsius....118f.
i will definitely take the front bumper and got through what was advised above.
would an auxiliary oil cooler while maintaining a/c affect ac performance?
are auxillary oil coolers which fit parallel to the ac condenser the same size as the condenser or smaller?
for example:
http://www.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/96...r_with_AC.html

thanks.
That is a very interesting oil cooler. The price is very good, in comparison to some of the options available from RUF or Cargraphic for cars with A/C. I'd be very interested know if anyone else has any experience with it. It is difficult to tell, but it appears that the oil cooler may be a bit smaller than the other options that I've seen.

Anyway, from what I've read, installing an oil cooler does reduce the capabilities of the A/C; however, it was still functional for most climates. Dubai may be an exception (wow!), but I don't have any information to know one way or another.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I change mine every 15 hours now (every other race weekend along with most other fluids and the anti-freeze in the radiator). It's certaily easy enough and cost is relatively insignificant.

Great product!
Old 08-27-2013, 05:52 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

A/C is over rated--unless you live in Dubai

Eric, my guess would be that you are running around 230 to 248 on the track even with mild temps with a single cooler. This has been my experience riding with students in their 993's & 964's with one cooler. For reference the first single sold line is 194 and the second single solid line is 248.

This is my inexpensive set-up (in Porsche dollars) . Around $270.00 for Aeroquip lines & fittings. $275.00 for OE cooler. Modified a/c condenser bracket to accept OE cooler--welding required. I removed both fans to get the maximum air flow. I am running around 190 on the street & 200-210 on the track.
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2013, 06:35 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ja78911sc
A/C is over rated--unless you live in Dubai

Eric, my guess would be that you are running around 230 to 248 on the track even with mild temps with a single cooler. This has been my experience riding with students in their 993's & 964's with one cooler. For reference the first single sold line is 194 and the second single solid line is 248.

This is my inexpensive set-up (in Porsche dollars) . Around $270.00 for Aeroquip lines & fittings. $275.00 for OE cooler. Modified a/c condenser bracket to accept OE cooler--welding required. I removed both fans to get the maximum air flow. I am running around 190 on the street & 200-210 on the track.
Good info. Lots of options to consider (in order of 'hot' to 'cold'):
1. Run only the primary (clean) oil cooler: At the expense of engine heat.
2. Run only the primary oil cooler with fog ducts added to increase airflow: Does anyone know how much cooling one can expect from this mod?
3. Add auxiliary oil cooler/bracket kit (RUF, FVD, Cargraphic, etc) to A/C: Very expensive kits.
4. Remove A/C and add kit or fabricate my own bracket: Hot driver (although not bad for short stints on track); Weight reduction; Kits (RUF, FVD, Cargraphic, etc) are still quite expensive; I hate fabrication!

The slippery slope strikes again....
Old 08-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit

Great product!
It certainly is, especially mixed with a good balsamic vinegar.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:42 PM
KaiB
Banned

Remove A/C - get coolshirt setup.

Thank me later!!!!!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:05 AM
swaini
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks Kai, but a cool shirt setup aint an option here unless im only tracking... on hot days and hard drives the needle will hit 9 o'clock.. traffic will see it go up to 930. last summer it stayed at 8-830 no matter what i did, so ill clean up the gunk which i expect is there and find out... fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Overheating at track - check here before you invest in an auxiliary oil cooler