Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating at track - check here before you invest in an auxiliary oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 01:03 AM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post
Default Overheating at track - check here before you invest in an auxiliary oil cooler

I was experiencing overheating conditions at the track a couple of weeks ago - greater than 10 o'clock, but less than 'red'. The ambient temperature was 75 - 80 degrees F. So, it wasn't so warm as to explain the overheating.

I called Steve Weiner to reluctantly go over my options to add auxiliary oil cooling. He suggested that I examine my oil cooler for debris and air flow blockage, before adding a secondary oil cooler. I sure am glad he did, as I think that I may have found the culprit.

After removing the front bumper, I was surprised at what I found. The primary oil cooler is almost completely packed with oily gunk. It appears highly likely that this might prevent much of the airflow to the oil cooler?

Anyway, I'll plan to degrease and clean everything out as well as possible to see if my temperatures come back down to 'normal'.

Last edited by RSAErick; 08-27-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:12 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

In addition to making sure the oil cooler is not obstructed, make sure your "bumper seals" haven't failed and crumbled away. Without these pieces of rubberized foam on the inside of the bumper, air can simply escape around the cooler rather than be forced through the cooler.

Read more about it in my thread.
https://rennlist.com/rennforums/show...09&postcount=3

I also used the fog light ducts to route more airflow to the cooler.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:30 AM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vandit
In addition to making sure the oil cooler is not obstructed, make sure your "bumper seals" haven't failed and crumbled away. Without these pieces of rubberized foam on the inside of the bumper, air can simply escape around the cooler rather than be forced through the cooler.
Ok, thanks. I see where the foam pieces were once adhered to the bumper; however, there is no foam there. Is this foam dense enough to route air? It appears from my bumper that this foam is very light weight, and I wonder how much air would be routed by such light foam.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:12 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oil must be from leaky softhoses that go into the top of the cooler...there are 2 in there, which are similar to the problematic big hose that goes from the oil filter console to the thermostat housing in the back of the car.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:49 AM
ja78911sc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Erick,

I installed a second OE cooler in place of the a/c condenser and have never looked back. I would not rule it out if you frequently track the car.

My temps on 90 plus degree days, on the track, barely exceed 8:00 on the gauge. I was willing to sacrifice A/C for engine life

In my opinion this is one of the most overlooked mods on a street/track car.

Jim
Old 08-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RSAErick
Ok, thanks. I see where the foam pieces were once adhered to the bumper; however, there is no foam there. Is this foam dense enough to route air? It appears from my bumper that this foam is very light weight, and I wonder how much air would be routed by such light foam.
Look a the pics in my thread.

The foam isn't super dense, but 2 of the 3 sides are glued into place and the third side butts up against the baffling on the oil cooler and condenser, thus creating a seal.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:41 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Babalouie
The oil must be from leaky softhoses that go into the top of the cooler...there are 2 in there, which are similar to the problematic big hose that goes from the oil filter console to the thermostat housing in the back of the car.
Yes, you are right! I've actually had leaks occur at the oil cooler twice since I've owned the car. But I only saw the back of the oil cooler (the side with the fan), by removing the wheel well. What a different story between the back and front of the oil cooler!

Originally Posted by ja78911sc
Erick,

I installed a second OE cooler in place of the a/c condenser and have never looked back. I would not rule it out if you frequently track the car.

My temps on 90 plus degree days, on the track, barely exceed 8:00 on the gauge. I was willing to sacrifice A/C for engine life

In my opinion this is one of the most overlooked mods on a street/track car.

Jim
Good point Jim. I agree - adding a secondary cooler would be worth the price, in order to save the engine. I fear that I've caused some undue wear and tear on my engine from running it so much hotter than it should have been running.

I will take a close look at temperatures after my oil cooler is cleaned out, and see if I still need an auxiliary oil cooler. We drive in 'relatively' cool air up here in the NW - but can still see track days that reach 90+. If so, I will need to determine whether to keep or remove the A/C before adding a secondary oil cooler.

Look a the pics in my thread.

The foam isn't super dense, but 2 of the 3 sides are glued into place and the third side butts up against the baffling on the oil cooler and condenser, thus creating a seal.
Thanks Vandit. Nice thread! It is hard to tell from what is left of the foam on my bumper (not much). I am curious what the Porsche version looks like and costs - I will probably fabricate a piece, like you did, to add back to the bumper before re-installing.

Last edited by RSAErick; 08-27-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:11 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

As follow up.... what temperature should we have a goal of NOT exceeding for these engines? Or is it all relative.... cooler is always better?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:36 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Erick - I'm in the camp of cooler is always better.

Out here, I could be racing in 100 degree sun and NEVER see temps above 190, less than that is the norm. Before I installed the 2dary cooler, I would often cut sessions short out of caution.

Don't even think about it now.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:01 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

........Read more about it in my thread.
https://rennlist.com/rennforums/show...09&postcount=3

Vandit - nice, informative post!
Old 08-27-2013, 02:31 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Vandit did you ever duct the air intakes to the rotors, or did you decide against it to rather get the air to the oil cooler?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:43 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another thought, as I'm a big believer in cooling.

Gamroth installed plumbing into my tranny the last time he was in it. This winter I'm adding a tranny oil cooler and pump...just another concern can be tossed out the window.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

RSAErick: The pictures in my thread are the Porsche OEM parts. Like I said in the thread, they set me back $50 in total for the 4 small rubberized foam wedges. I proactively made some templates using the OEM parts so that I can recreate the pieces in the future.

HiWind: I did not duct them to the brakes. In the racing I do (autocross and time trials), I have not experienced a need for more brake cooling, but I have experienced a need for more engine cooling (10 o'clock oil temps).
Old 08-27-2013, 03:26 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

RSAErick: The pictures in my thread are the Porsche OEM parts. Like I said in the thread, they set me back $50 in total for the 4 small rubberized foam wedges. I proactively made some templates using the OEM parts so that I can recreate the pieces in the future.

HiWind: I did not duct them to the brakes. In the racing I do (autocross and time trials), I have not experienced a need for more brake cooling, but I have experienced a need for more engine cooling (10 o'clock oil temps).
Ok, thanks Vandit.

Do the fog ducts provide good direct air to the oil cooler(s)? I'll examine the bumper closer when I get home to see what lies directly behind the fog lights. Anyway, I did a quick search, and see that the ducts that install in place of the fog lights cost a small fortune!
Old 08-27-2013, 03:32 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KaiB
Another thought, as I'm a big believer in cooling.

Gamroth installed plumbing into my tranny the last time he was in it. This winter I'm adding a tranny oil cooler and pump...just another concern can be tossed out the window.
I don't need another concern, thank you very much. It's hard to save up for performance upgrades, when I'm finding all these preventative maintenance upgrades to spend on...

So, do you have more concern about gear, syncro, or LSD wear from running the tranny hot?

Can I assume that for your purposes (enduro racing?), that transmission cooling is more important than for my 'light' duty. Currently, I'm only doing track days that are limited to 20-30 minute sessions. I'm hoping that fresh transmission oil is sufficient to prevent excessive wear.

Quick Reply: Overheating at track - check here before you invest in an auxiliary oil cooler