964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scantool has stopped working

Old 08-29-2013, 03:22 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 235 Posts

Twood, it is possible to test the hardware you got using terminal emulator software and a 9V battery.
See my troubleshooting guides for details on this, and feel free to PM me for further assistance.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 08-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a bit odd, but I also had a rebuild, and I also have a hard time connecting. Tested the hardware and it works perfect, COM ports are correct. Will also try to check fuse 12.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:38 AM
Twood
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ScanTool

Finally some success.

As I suspected the problem was the circuit board. I found a company that tested the board for me and I believe it was one resistor that was causing the problem.

I want to thank everyone that offered suggestions esperially Tore who really did offer some very helpful suggestions.

But some times ignornace is bliss. The Scantool tells me that that I have a problem with a hall sensor. I happened to have another here from another 964 distributor (that is a whole other story) and when I changed it over today it still tells me I have the same "Hall sensor" fault.

Suggestions are welcome-if I disconnect the plug that connects to the sensor I get the same error code. The car appears to be running fine.

Last problem is I cannot get the Scantool to connect to the ABS - connects to the Motronic and A/C with no problems.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Can you give a bit more info on which resistor? Perhaps I should get mine tested somewhere.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Twood
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
Can you give a bit more info on which resistor? Perhaps I should get mine tested somewhere.
I am sorry but I cannot.

The test was done by a company that design and repair control units for machinery by an electronics engineer. They did it as a favour for me at no charge which I thought was very generous of them. I am guessing the resistor probably had a value of around 10 cents but it was the equipment and knowledge that was the important part.

As they said if you can buy a new circuit board for around $75-100 then normally they would suggest that rather then try to repair the existing board. I can't remember how much I paid for the board.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Twood
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
By the way - love those wheels in your avatar- BBS?

Last edited by Twood; 12-01-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Yes, they are BBS LM. Those are nice RS II.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scantool has stopped working