Sponsored by:

rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:22 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

I would encourage a phone call to Porsche NA's Western Zone Rep and discuss the expert resources in the zone. They could be clueless, but not bloody likely given the Southern Cal market. The PCA club members can often assist with been-there-done-that as the members know the "experts" by personal experience. You know,, its the maniacal demanding professional; doctor, lawyer, CEO/MBA type, etc. Hey,, I'm just saying.

Porsche AG has a full pallet of (rear quarter) replacement panels right down to every nut and bolt is available - insist on it. A 1st class shop will fix'er up no problem, it will not be cheap. Engine out, rear glass out, oil tank out, frame in a jig,,, everything on the table. A First Class repair, a Critical Path Method repair in writing, executed by professionals.

She'll be as-good-as-new !
Old 08-27-2013, 05:04 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Ouch... I never like reading these threads.

It can be fixed by a good shop... But make sure it's done right. There is at least 1 964 with a cracked chassis from an accident due to a bad repair... So make sure it's done right.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:27 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
My suggestion is to phone Porsche NA's Western Zone Rep and discuss the expert resources in the zone. They could be clueless, but not likely given the Southern Cal market. The PCA club members can often assist with been-there-done-that. Many members know the "experts" by experience, you know the maniacal, demanding professional; doctor, lawyer, CEO/MBA type, etc. Hey,, I'm just saying.

Porsche AG has full rear quarter replacement panels, right down to every nut and bolt is available - insist on it. A 1st class shop will fix'er up no problem, it will not be cheap. Engine out, rear glass out, oil tank out, frame in a jig,,, everything on the table. A First Class repair, a Critical Path Method repair in writing, executed by professionals.

She'll be as-good-as-new !
Sorry to hear about this Steve. Schneider has very good suggestions. It may give you the opportunity to do some things with the engine out as well, but that will end up costing you extra.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Ouch! I was living in the bay area when I was rear ended. I took my car to Matthews Carlsen in Palo Alto. They did an excellent job.

http://www.mathewscarlsen.com/about.html
Old 08-28-2013, 02:06 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

went to German, estimate went to 20K which is more appropriate. now for insurance company.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepaa
went to German, estimate went to 20K which is more appropriate. now for insurance company.
I hope your insurance company values the car for more than $20K....
Old 08-28-2013, 02:38 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Earlydays
I hope your insurance company values the car for more than $20K....
It won't matter, it will cross the threshold of being a total loss.

This just got a lot more difficult...
Old 08-28-2013, 02:57 PM
RayB_911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This makes me sick to my stomach. Everytime I see a teenager ona phone or texting I vision this with mine.

Hope you get it back better than new.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vagluv
It won't matter, it will cross the threshold of being a total loss.

This just got a lot more difficult...
I rather it be totaled, than to get fixed up incorrectly. Even if it's fixed right, it'll have a blemished and will be hard to sell later. If it's not totaled, make sure to get diminished value.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:51 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

This thread is making me gain interest in stated value insurance coverage...
Old 08-28-2013, 06:23 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

This is all food for thought. We're insured with Leland-West and about a year ago adjusted up the stated value of two of our classics. The 993s $10K increase ($60K) in stated value didn't cost very much -
Maybe its time to review the other aspects of the 993s coverage as we all agree First Class repairs cost money. There could easily be policy language around the stated value metric which doesn't work in our favor should First Class repairs be elected. Isn't it in the insurance companies interest to "total" to vehicle when the repairs exceed 75% of its value - settle - and then make margin on the vehicle's carcass? In other words its in their favor to "total" the vehicle??
Old 08-29-2013, 12:15 AM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vagluv
This thread is making me gain interest in stated value insurance coverage...
It's definitely the way to go. I have $25k declared value through Grundy and it's $400 for the year with no deductibles.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:42 AM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jpar
It's definitely the way to go. I have $25k declared value through Grundy and it's $400 for the year with no deductibles.
wow, will have to check that out. i just stuck mine on my geico policy and its about 400 for normal full coverage.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:51 AM
hawk911
Race Car

normal coverage will give you a sliding scale of "book value" which we all know is not accurate.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:57 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

so the insurance company has declared a total loss, set value at $22.3K and give them the car, or will give me $19.3K and I keep the car, but the car will be a salvage title.

even if I can get the cost down some, I would likely want to repaint the whole car, likely end up over $22k at the end of this with a salvage title car.

I welcome comments from others who have had this problem.

Quick Reply: rear ended