Sponsored by:

WTT or WTB: RSA Rear Deck lid

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:57 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WTT or WTB: RSA Rear Deck lid

I'm thinking about bringing my car back to stock look as I will drive it on the streets also.
Car was repainted and carpet removed and will be replaced soon.
Also thinking about installing the A/C back in, if it won't involve too much $$$ and time.

I have a RS 3.8 style decklid with a carbon wing blade.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:57 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

No love whatsoever ???

It's weird coming from the gt3/gt2 section where we get responses, comments and interaction regularly...
Old 07-19-2013, 12:05 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
No love whatsoever ???
All of the idiot RSA owners that sold their tails are now (10 years later and tired of our RS3.8 wings) trying to get them back. You're on your own!

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 07-19-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:26 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Don't you have one ???

I never liked this tail in first place.

I may just go to a Carrera decklid and wing ... so considering it also.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:05 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Don't you have one ???
Mistakenly sold my original RSA decklid & wing back in the mid-nineties for $900 to somebody in upstate NY...

I never liked this tail in first place.
You will definitely feel a difference going back to a whale-tail, even at highway speeds. Although its less pronounced the further you get away from the US ride height. Visually I still like my RS3.8 tail but would probably be happier with the original.

I may just go to a Carrera decklid and wing ... so considering it also.
I think the only real difference is the windshield wiper cutout?

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 07-19-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:32 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

That's the only drawback, that I'm thinking about, specially because my car is mainly a track car, with full cage, short gearing, 3.8 etc... still don't like the wing.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:27 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check Getty Design.

I believe they have a RSA deck in composite - and you get the weight savings.

The 964 is not like the GT3 board. Over there, folks have the luxury of time. They're all rich, don't have to work and spend their time running their mouths about lap times, wax, trailers, and winter tracking in Florida....(please do disregard the fact that several of the newly minted racers are doing very well indeed and setting lap records!!!).

Over here we all must put in a day to support our sins, thus answers come when time allows. I, for one, have been up since 4:30am chasing livestock and now must go out to the shop and flush the radiator in my 964 for fresh coolant.

Edit: BTW, I do have a A/C compressor and brackets/lines in Exc. condition should you want it. I think the shop has most of the other stuff also.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:58 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Hey Kai,

Tks for the the tip. I believe a few of those composite suppliers have that, but not exactly the same, If aftermarket, I'll just keep the ugly one. Yours is a lot more attractive and functional for sure.
On the stereotype, I'm very far from rich, and hang out over there too, so not all true. I agree a lot of car and coffee guys, but to be honest, the level of drivers around some of the club racing scene, is pathetic, not generalizing but it's a known fact, the higher in class you go, the worse it is, and not to say that some of the newly races, were far from being the fastest DE guys around here, that should tell you something.
Fresh coolant !!! lol
I may take you on the A/C ... I need to pick up my car from the body shop (re-sprayed the front section due to rock chips) and decide what to do. Didn't want to spend more $$$ on the car, but I just can't see the car like that, I'm too ****, and also makes me happy not having the GT2 as a track ***** like the previous 2 or RS.
Carpet still laying around ?
I removed mine and some of the nasty glue ... what a *itch to do....
Old 07-19-2013, 11:03 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

I'm just kidding about the GT3 forum. The hard core there seems to have fun, and there are a few good shoes there. ( I love money, but can't race this year because I have none!!!),

Agree absolutely about Club Racing - some of the Cup and Cayman guys are downright scary.

I do have the carpet...we paid the body shop to remove all of my glue!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:45 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Oh man, that job is just plain scary... Jesus.

Only reason why I'm going for the carpet again.

I also wonder how much of a pain would be to reinstall the A/C. Car is doomed with the stupid 3.8. I can't fit in any competitive class with it. GT class with a 2:25 car (hoho) wouldn't be fun. People would run over me.
Looks like you're the few active guys around here (this side of the world and with track motto), mr 3K posts...
Old 07-19-2013, 12:30 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Agreed. With the 3.8 you realy need to be at 2550 driven and over 350 WHP to work in GT3S or R.

The GT clases are absolute money pits if you want to be competetive. I have to deal with Crawford's (ex) and Yonker's 400hp 993s if I want to go National...can't do it at the moment. Otherwise, we can win virtually anytime and stay with the slower (read can't crive) Cup cars.

Why not just race your car in GT4S at whatever weight you need? It's all good anyway and you're driving well enough to beat all but the best of them.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:46 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My .00000000000000002:

I would just wait for a stock 3.6 motor to come up for sale and buy that and then go racing in H (assuming you already have big brakes and a R&P) and sell the 3.8 after that. If you have custom gears then add a trans to the shopping cart and would probably avoid a R&P and race in G. Tough to impossible to compete against the modern water cooled cars in H (esp Ryan and his 997). For G you would just need to remove the blade (or whatever that is called) from the wing and put small brakes on (cheap and can sell yours).

You can probably find a decent 3.6 motor for $5-8k and then sell yours for the same or more. If it isn't a strong motor then you may want to rebuild which will then be pricey. Instead of a rebuild I bought a motor out of a wrecked RSA a few years ago (which still has never been rebuilt/opened). I sold my motor to a buddy who drove the **** out of it in NASA for another 3-4 years and then he sold that car and the new owner money shifted it. One of the cylinders had a 12% leakdown which is why I sold it (and disclosed of course) but it made great power (not balance and blueprinted/rebuild power though) until he sold it.

RE: the wing, I just sold my 3.8 and put my stock one back on. I couldn't tell the difference on track but I do/did like the look of the 3.8 better.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:48 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Also if I had a 997 GT2 for the street I don't think I would ever drive my "street RSA" again.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:51 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

I LIKE the GStock idea!!! Fun class and lots of folks to race.

All driver!!! If you don't podium, it's on you.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:04 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by KaiB
Agreed. With the 3.8 you realy need to be at 2550 driven and over 350 WHP to work in GT3S or R.

The GT clases are absolute money pits if you want to be competetive. I have to deal with Crawford's (ex) and Yonker's 400hp 993s if I want to go National...can't do it at the moment. Otherwise, we can win virtually anytime and stay with the slower (read can't crive) Cup cars.

Why not just race your car in GT4S at whatever weight you need? It's all good anyway and you're driving well enough to beat all but the best of them.
I feel your pain, and even at GT4S I would need to make the car about 2-4 seconds faster to be on the top of the list. I would assume those numbers were in cold weather in Sebring (48hs) that usually bring 2 seconds / lap.
Some weight out and a little bit more seat time and work on the car, could be possible.

Originally Posted by forklift
My .00000000000000002:

I would just wait for a stock 3.6 motor to come up for sale and buy that and then go racing in H (assuming you already have big brakes and a R&P) and sell the 3.8 after that. If you have custom gears then add a trans to the shopping cart and would probably avoid a R&P and race in G. Tough to impossible to compete against the modern water cooled cars in H (esp Ryan and his 997). For G you would just need to remove the blade (or whatever that is called) from the wing and put small brakes on (cheap and can sell yours).

You can probably find a decent 3.6 motor for $5-8k and then sell yours for the same or more. If it isn't a strong motor then you may want to rebuild which will then be pricey. Instead of a rebuild I bought a motor out of a wrecked RSA a few years ago (which still has never been rebuilt/opened). I sold my motor to a buddy who drove the **** out of it in NASA for another 3-4 years and then he sold that car and the new owner money shifted it. One of the cylinders had a 12% leakdown which is why I sold it (and disclosed of course) but it made great power (not balance and blueprinted/rebuild power though) until he sold it.

RE: the wing, I just sold my 3.8 and put my stock one back on. I couldn't tell the difference on track but I do/did like the look of the 3.8 better.
The engine thingy is possible but costly for sure, and also time consuming (which is something that I lack) and also patience.
I'm already 60K + deep into this thing with all the maintenance and improvements, so soon to be a money pit, and I'll start beating myself for not buying a cup that I have loads of parts and know those cars inside out.

Yes car has ring and pinion and if you check the videos, removing a little weight and maybe making the car a little faster I'll run out of RPM at Sebring. Can't go taller tires as they don't fit, so more $$$ into the thing.
At this point maybe better sell it and start over again with a proper class car ?
Thought about it and listed for sale for just what I paid for.... seems too much as I only had about 2-3 calls on it.... weird place to be.
Maybe I should go take Kiteboaring classes and call it a day
I appreciate your input and has a lot of sense to it.
Is suspension 'open' on G class ?
I looked into the rules, but for some reason, not very clear, or I got the wrong link.

Originally Posted by forklift
Also if I had a 997 GT2 for the street I don't think I would ever drive my "street RSA" again.
The GT2 is a great street car for sure, far better than the GT3RS, and will see 2 events a year (Winterfest and 48hs) as I can't let Rad and his FIAT get close to my times
Car is just too clean and $$$ to run year around for me right now.

Quick Reply: WTT or WTB: RSA Rear Deck lid