964 introduction from Jakarta, Indonesia

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:21 AM
jorijori
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 964 introduction from Jakarta, Indonesia

Hello...

I'm a new 964 owner, very happy & proud to be here on Rennlist 964 forum. My car is 1993 C2 tiptronic midnight blue with gray interior. Just have the car for a week but cannot stop driving her.

Here is the summary, odometer is showing 18.000 km but broken so actual mileage probably higher, AC works but not very cold, engine pulls strong, suspension is harsh & jarring definitely a lot more harsh than my 3.2, according to PO he just replaced all 4 shocks with KONI for about $2K, does it sound right? Overall I love this car.

Comparing to 3.2 G50, I prefer 964 from driving perspective as it is more modern with power steering and other comfort, however it is more complicated with many more electronics so maintenance wise it is more complex with more things to go wrong.

Here is my previous thread on my 3.2
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...911-story.html

Last edited by jorijori; 06-26-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:26 AM
jorijori
Instructor

BTW, I live in a city that is not friendly to air cool cars as the traffic jams last the whole day in all corners of the city, but that doesn't deter me from driving her. Anyway I was stucked in traffic & the oil temp raised to near the red zone for about 30 minutes, should I be concerned? Here is news about Jakarta traffic in case you are wondering how bad it is http://www.nst.com.my/opinion/column...macet-1.303614

Per PO advice I opened the rear fuse box & wiggled the relays in order to activate the oil cooler fan & luckily it worked, but I read on the fuse box cover it doesn't say anything about relay for oil cooler fan, if I remember correctly, there are 3 relays (heater fan & something else). After that, for the rest of the day the oil temp stayed a tag high on middle mark. Notice that outside temp was 37.5 celcius (>110F) & I was driving with AC off

Also, sometimes idle stays at 1100 and at other times at 900, I read the normal idle RPM is 880, could it be the idle control valve?

Last edited by jorijori; 06-26-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:13 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the oiltemp is OK from the outer temp and traffic you have. As long as the needle stops at 10 o'clock and don't go any further, and then starts to fall when the fan kicks in.

Thomas
Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Welcome jorijori!
964 love stretches around the world!

Like Thomas said above, your temps are fine given your conditions.
I love your garage, and hope you're keeping the yellow 911 too?
Old 06-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Beautiful Car!

I would agree, for the temps everything looks normal. Does the front oil cooling radiator fan (passenger side, front fender run) when it is hot? I would check to make sure that the relay is working properly. My only concern would be having to get out and "wiggle" the relay to make it come on.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:21 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats and welcome. It looks like you have a stunning example. The garage looks about perfect Where you looking for a while ?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't like those 10 o'clock oil temps at all, especially not while sitting in traffic. It's a crap feeling to see the needle start creeping that high.

I'd first confirm the car is functioning properly.
1. From cold, does the temp rise to about 8 o'clock then drop back down, indicating the thermostat is opening up properly?

2. Does the fan on the front oil cooler come on somewhere between 9 and 10 o'clock?

More troubleshooting here.
http://p-car.com/diy/fan/

After you confirm everything is working right, I'd consider the oil cooler resistor mod to lower the fan engagement point.
https://rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=639980

After this mod, even of I sit at idle for 20-30mins in nearly 100 fahrenheit outside temps, the oil temp stays between 8 and 9 o'clock.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:07 PM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome! Your collection of Porsche is identical to mine as I also have a 964 and a 3.2.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Welcome! Looks like a great car. As Vandt said I would confirm your oil cooler fan and temp sensor are working properly. I would also verify that your oil cooler is clear of dirt and debris.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:07 AM
jorijori
Instructor

Well the needle didn't stop at 10 o'clock, it kept creeping up as the oil fan didn't work but luckily I reached my destination before it got to red zone. Thanks...

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
I think the oiltemp is OK from the outer temp and traffic you have. As long as the needle stops at 10 o'clock and don't go any further, and then starts to fall when the fan kicks in.

Thomas
Old 06-26-2013, 09:10 AM
jorijori
Instructor

Yes I'm keeping it with a hope that one day I will backdate it to a long hood as I fell head over heels now for one. Over here Porsche was not officially for sale until 2003 (996 era).

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Welcome jorijori!
964 love stretches around the world!

Like Thomas said above, your temps are fine given your conditions.
I love your garage, and hope you're keeping the yellow 911 too?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:12 AM
jorijori
Instructor

No it did not prior to wiggling the relays in the rear fuse cover but it did afterwards. My question where is the oil fan relay located?

Originally Posted by turbotwoshoes
I would agree, for the temps everything looks normal. Does the front oil cooling radiator fan (passenger side, front fender run) when it is hot? I would check to make sure that the relay is working properly. My only concern would be having to get out and "wiggle" the relay to make it come on.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:17 AM
jorijori
Instructor

Thanks, I waited 3 years for this car & at the time almost bought it off from PO but didn't happen, this time almost didn't happen but luckily it did, but price has risen significantly though. Note total 964 in my country probably is less than 10 as it was not for sale here, those that made came thru diplomatic channel.

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Congrats and welcome. It looks like you have a stunning example. The garage looks about perfect Where you looking for a while ?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:21 AM
jorijori
Instructor

Thanks, here is my answers

Originally Posted by Vandit
I don't like those 10 o'clock oil temps at all, especially not while sitting in traffic. It's a crap feeling to see the needle start creeping that high.

I'd first confirm the car is functioning properly.
1. From cold, does the temp rise to about 8 o'clock then drop back down, indicating the thermostat is opening up properly?

No, it will rise to 8.. 9.. then stops at 9.30 this is where I think the oil fan kicks in

2. Does the fan on the front oil cooler come on somewhere between 9 and 10 o'clock?

yes

More troubleshooting here.
http://p-car.com/diy/fan/

After you confirm everything is working right, I'd consider the oil cooler resistor mod to lower the fan engagement point.
https://rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=639980

My plan is to hard-wire oil fan to rear wiper switch like my 3.2 this way I can start it manually

After this mod, even of I sit at idle for 20-30mins in nearly 100 fahrenheit outside temps, the oil temp stays between 8 and 9 o'clock.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Bisan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful I am sure something that perfect is rare out there. Great job

Quick Reply: 964 introduction from Jakarta, Indonesia