Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drop engine, reseal, still have oil leaks! (Cam housing to case / camshaft o-rings)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 10:13 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

Gaskets, sealants, adhesives, lubricants, what to use? I referred to Wayne Dempsey's book, the Factory Workshop manual, and a often referenced post from Henry at Supertec Performance, a 911 engine rebuilding shop. I basically decided to follow Henry's guidance.

One of the magic things in life is that experience can help you grow.We have learned since the privious post that the best way to seal an engine case is with a series of glue in speciafic locations. We no longer use 574 to seal case halves.
Case sealing suggestions :
Outer case halves perimeter : Threebond 1194
Bearing web surfaces: Loctite 574
#8 Bearing O-Ring: Threebond 1211
Case Thru Bolts: Dow Corning 55 on Green Viton O-Rings
Flywheel Seal: dry
Front pulley Seal: dry
Intermediate Shaft Cover to Case: o-ring Dow 55, gasket style 574
Oil Breather Cover to Case: Loctite 574
Cylinders to Case: Curil T
Cam Towers to Cylinder Heads: Threebond 1104
Cam Chain Housings to Case: gaskets Loctite 574
Cam Chain Housings to Cam Towers: gasket Loctite 574
Cam Chain Housing Cover to Cam Chain Housing: Gasket Loctite574

Gaskets: Thin coat of Loctite 574
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 07-21-2013, 10:18 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

The workshop manual tells you to apply Loctite 574 to both sides of the flat gasket on the end cap. Advice on the Pelican parts forum as well as this video shows you how to apply it with a roller.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:07 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

..and continue
Attached Images      
Old 07-21-2013, 11:09 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

continues...
Attached Images      
Old 07-22-2013, 09:01 AM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet...congrats, looks like a great job.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:13 AM
jorijori
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks better than profesional, I doubt an average mechanic will do all this if it is not his own car. This is a labor of love kinda work.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:54 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Hey Guys,

Quick question for you all pros

I recently had an engine out service done on my '91 964 Turbo by a good reputable shop and unfortunately I experience an oil leak again

Shop took the car back and found out the RMS was leaking again. This time instead of replacing with Porsche OEM seal, we replaced it with Elring and so far I was told car is leak free.

Now the question is, I do not see the camshaft housing seal or the O-ring on the invoice. The shop was suppose to have changed/replaced all the seals/gaskits/O-rings/Lines/Tubes, you name it and I wanted to have them changed.

They did change the FMS/IMS/RMS along with Valve cover gaskits etc etc?

Could they have replaced it and not mention it on the invoice?

Is it a part of the stuff they already did?

Please help me understand this ^ oil leak.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2013, 12:48 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow!!! That is a heavy duty job. Do you plan on retiming the engine?
Old 07-22-2013, 03:18 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Excellent pictures as usual Ricardo!
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-22-2013, 04:31 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is an Outstanding thread! Thank you for the excellent writeup. Golden Spanners Indeed!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:41 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Guys,

A word on cam timing. I was hoping to not have to redo the camshaft timing but I think I need to look into this. I can see that my crankshaft moved when I was fiddling with getting the chain back into position around the camshaft sprocket. This means I screwed up my timing. I think I can restore my timing by resetting the crankshaft to TDC and re-installing the crankshaft sprocket and chain so my marks line up.

I may have to try and go in and do this right way. Its explained in Volume 1, section 15 of the workshop manual. I already have everything necessary except the auxiliary chain tensioner tool. $275 for that Porsche special tool 9401. Urgh. Although this tool may not be necessary as I see in a post someone else just using the engine chain tensioners but that must not push down as hard since the factory tool. The factory tool must simulate the tension when the engine is running and there is full oil pressure.

For you super hard core dudes following along more reference material here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ain-20-hp.html

You should see the setup Colin (The Ninemeister uses) in the above thread to do this.

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph..._timing_Part_I

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...timing_Part_II

I am just so pissed I didn't look into these seals when I had the engine out. I have more hours working on this car than driving it.
Attached Images  

Last edited by RicardoD; 07-23-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:15 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoD
Guys,

A word on cam timing. I was hoping to not have to redo the camshaft timing but I think I need to look into this. I can see that my crankshaft moved when I was fiddling with getting the chain back into position around the camshaft sprocket. This means I screwed up my timing. I think I can restore my timing by resetting the crankshaft to TDC and re-installed the crankshaft sprocket and chain so my marks line up.

I think I may have to try and go in and do this right way. Its explained in Volume 1, section 15 of the workshop manual. I already have everything necessary except the auxiliary chain tensioner tool. $275 for that Porsche special tool 9401. Urgh. Although this tool not be necessary as I see in a post someone else just using the engine chain tensioners but that must not push down as hard since the factory tool which must simulate the tension when the engine is running and there is full oil pressure.

For you super hard core dudes following along more reference material here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ain-20-hp.html

You should see the setup Colin (The Ninemeister uses) in the above thread to do this.

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph..._timing_Part_I

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...timing_Part_II

I am just so pissed I didn't look into these seals when I had the engine out. I have more hours working on this car than driving it.

Engine is out so might as well go through the motions. Maybe someone has the tool and will RennLend it to you. I'd send it your way if I had it.

The cam timing and the amount of time that I had my car apart (2 months) was the reason I didn't change out the gaskets your doing now when I did the chain case cover gaskets. My car has 72k on it and while the clutch seems to have a lot of life left, I know that I'll have to drop the engine in the future and will take care of those gasket at that time. It looks like I'm good to go for now since the chain case is dry.

Do it once, do it right.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:00 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Use a $10 brake pad spreader. But the hard part is getting the necessary amount of tension on the chains.

http://pcarworkshop.com/index.php/Ca..._timing_Part_I
Old 07-23-2013, 07:00 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by axl911
Use a $10 brake pad spreader. But the hard part is getting the necessary amount of tension on the chains.

http://pcarworkshop.com/index.php/Ca..._timing_Part_I
Yes, the correct tension appears to be key otherwise I will just use the installed engine chain tensioners and not worry about it. Look at the Ninemeister setup!

https://rennlist.com/forums/7914403-post29.html
Old 07-24-2013, 10:00 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoD
Guys,

A word on cam timing. I was hoping to not have to redo the camshaft timing but I think I need to look into this. I can see that my crankshaft moved when I was fiddling with getting the chain back into position around the camshaft sprocket. This means I screwed up my timing. I think I can restore my timing by resetting the crankshaft to TDC and re-installing the crankshaft sprocket and chain so my marks line up.
Can you explain why you can't just do the procedure that you wrote above (in blue) to restore your timing to it's original state? It's not clear to me why this would not work?

Thanks!

Last edited by HalV; 07-24-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Drop engine, reseal, still have oil leaks! (Cam housing to case / camshaft o-rings)