Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Chris Buckenham
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Heat Exchanger Solution

Good evening Everybody,

Need a bit of help with a 964 please.

Having used this forum for a few years now as the owner of a 928GT we have recently bought a 90 964 C2 Tip Targa. The car has done 90,000 miles and has an impeccable service history from Pickup Motorsport in London . It was a fairly good deal in my view and during the last few days I have unearthed a few problems.

The engine was rebuilt by Pickup just before 80,000.

It is RHD and the Drivers side heater servo does not function , not sure if it is the servo or the CCU yet or both.

There are a few small oil leaks /weeps on the engine. There has been a small amount of oil leaking onto the right side exhaust from somewhere. However I think that the right side heat exchanger has gone. Prior to doing an oil change earlier I gave the whole engine top and bottom a gentle steam clean . Afterwards I could hear water/oil combination boiling in the heat exchanger. Fortunately we have got a pit so I was able to get pretty close underneath. To be honest there has been a bit of a burning oil smell in the car.

My main question is " are those heat exchangers really that expensive?"
And is another way to get around the problem to buy a complete exhaust system i.e. Fabspeed with heat ?

Any help on this greatly appreciated I am sure you Guys have the knowledge.

Thanks , Chris
Old 06-22-2013, 06:27 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They are, new.

And there are plenty of rust free, lightly used ones laying around that most of us would give away. Unfortunately, the several sets I have are squirreled away in a Bay Area warehouse where I wouldn't even know where to start looking..........
Old 06-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Chris Buckenham
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply Ken ,

How about modifying 993 manifolds/exchangers? Looks like a reasonable idea from searching about this.
Chris
Old 06-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Chris Buckenham
Rennlist Member

Is anybody running an after market exhaust with heat exchangers ?
Any recommendations please ?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:30 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Unless you are otherwise modifying your engine, no need for aftermarket exhaust.
If you are getting burned oil smell in the car, there is a good chance that you have a leak in your power steering drive. Search here on forum and you will find lots of information. The leak is from seal # 5 and 6 in the picture below.

Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2013, 05:28 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris, air cooled 911s generally have an 'oil smell'. So it might be this that you're experiencing rather than a major problem with the HE. Also, ensure that the hoses on each HE are in good condition. These connect the HE to the cabin. If they are leaking you will get more of an oil smell....and exhaust fumes getting into the cabin which is much, much worse.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Chris Buckenham
Rennlist Member

Hello everybody,
Thanks for the replies , yes there are a few minor leaks from the areas described which I will do my best to fix before long . I have definitely got one exchanger that needs replacing so any advise on what has been tried would be helpful.
What about the 993 exchanger idea , apart from the flange 90 degree issue are they a straight swap with the rest of the stock system ?
Thanks
Chris
Old 06-25-2013, 06:06 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

No, there is nothing from the 964 exhaust that matches up with the 993. You can install a complete 993 system, but it will take a lot of work and $$$$. The 993 HE's will fit if you turn the right hand side flanges 90 degrees, and then you can connect them to a muffler sitting across the back of the car. The heat can be hooked up with not too much trouble.

READ THIS , that will give you and idea of what is involved.

Quick Reply: Heat Exchanger Solution