Windshield washer system woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 11:38 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Windshield washer system woes

Hey Guys-
I have a '91 Turbo with both the intensive wash and rear wiper washer, plus headlight washers. So I guess the Turbo cars have _THREE_ washer reservoirs!! That was news to me. So - all my pumps _do_ activate. I disconnected what I'm pretty sure is the rear washer and it pumped great. Same for intensive wash. Was unable to disconnect the main pump line but I can hear it run. But fluid comes out NOWHERE - not regular washers, intensive, or rear - well except I got the passenger side headlight washer to squirt. Previous owner had the car for 7 years in AZ and said he never used the washers.

So I'm thinking the one-way valves are the culprit. That should be a fun little job to replace them. Thoughts?

I really don't think its the nozzles - they look real clean. That said - do you remove them by pushing towards the front of the car then lifting up from the back? Read that somewhere...

I searched for a bit but haven't come across an exploded view of the rear wiper system. Can somebody confirm the small reservoir on driver side (LHD) is for the rear wiper only? When I disconnect the line it pumps just fine - but when I re-connect - nothing comes out the nozzle above the rear window? I've poked it a few times - nothing yet. No water inside the cabin either. Ideas?

Anybody know if the one way valves are Porsche/dealer only? or?

There is a small part of me that is considering ditching the intensive wash - but i will likely keep it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:49 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Are you positive you have a rear window washer? I have never seen one.
For your problem, the one way valves are the first suspects, followed by the nozzles. The parts are cheap enough to change them all and start new. It is also a good idea to change the tubing, as it goes hard and brittle after all these years. Mercedes sells black tubing that looks great. Be warned however that changing the tubing is a major chore.
As for the intensive wash, the fluid is NLA.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:49 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
Hey Guys-
I have a '91 Turbo with both the intensive wash and rear wiper washer, plus headlight washers. So I guess the Turbo cars have _THREE_ washer reservoirs!! That was news to me. So - all my pumps _do_ activate. I disconnected what I'm pretty sure is the rear washer and it pumped great. Same for intensive wash. Was unable to disconnect the main pump line but I can hear it run. But fluid comes out NOWHERE - not regular washers, intensive, or rear - well except I got the passenger side headlight washer to squirt. Previous owner had the car for 7 years in AZ and said he never used the washers.

So I'm thinking the one-way valves are the culprit. That should be a fun little job to replace them. Thoughts?

I really don't think its the nozzles - they look real clean. That said - do you remove them by pushing towards the front of the car then lifting up from the back? Read that somewhere...

I searched for a bit but haven't come across an exploded view of the rear wiper system. Can somebody confirm the small reservoir on driver side (LHD) is for the rear wiper only? When I disconnect the line it pumps just fine - but when I re-connect - nothing comes out the nozzle above the rear window? I've poked it a few times - nothing yet. No water inside the cabin either. Ideas?

Anybody know if the one way valves are Porsche/dealer only? or?

There is a small part of me that is considering ditching the intensive wash - but i will likely keep it.

Thanks in advance.
Valves are availavle for independants, in the UK at least, so I imagine the same is true in the US

http://type911shop.co.uk/shop/catalo...ch?shop_param=

As GeorgeK said above, rear washer? never seen a 964 with one
Old 06-17-2013, 08:02 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Two reservoirs for the front end only - all the pics you need are in PET Section 904
Old 06-17-2013, 02:30 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Actually - I'm not positive. I have the intensive wash - reservoir on passenger side. I have another small reservoir (virtually same as intensive) on driver side and the line heads towards the back (the larger braided looking line crimps to normal looking white line at the base of the A pillar and keeps going towards rear of the car) Thinking this has to be a rear washer. At the top of my rear window is a small little outlet/tube that looks like it has old washer fluid residue around it. I'll try to remember to take a pic tonight. And I'm assuming I have the normal large reservoir in front of the front wheel - I have not yet actually looked tho - however I can hear a pump run from that area when I pull the stalk. Oh and the fluid fill in the gas flap does not go to either of these two other reservoirs. Maybe only Turbos came with the rear washer???

I've ordered the check valves and will install them this weekend. Although now I'm wondering - if that Intensive fluid _is_ NLA - maybe I should just simplify and only use the normal washer system - eliminate the check valves etc. Hmm.

Can somebody confirm nozzle removal procedure?

Thanks guys!
Old 06-17-2013, 02:41 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

The rear washer must be a fit by a previous owner, even 993's dont have a rear washer, from recollection??
Old 06-18-2013, 12:09 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

fluid fill in gas cap area only supplies fluid for main tank in fender. that tank supplies fluid for headlights and front windshield, both operated by the stalk on steering column

the little tank on pax side was for intensive washer for front windshield operated by by a small rocker switch by the speedo

what switch do you push to operate the rear washer? Please post pic of rear washer nozzle.

Here is mine that I added.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-1989...ear-wiper.html

I suspect that the nozzles are plugged rather than the valves.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:44 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Hey Guys-
Ok a few pics - first the car so I don't get lambasted ;-)
Next is my trunk - it's factory stuff. Intensive wash on left, rear washer on right. And then third pic is the nozzle. It was a hard to get a decent pic. I talked to some of the Turbo guys and several had rear washers (they said it was an option for Coupes and Targas).

So at this point I've kinda changed my mind - going to empty the intensive reservoir out and just run normal lines from the main tank for the windshield washers - eliminate the valves etc for now.
Attached Images    
Old 06-18-2013, 03:18 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I looked through PET, not a line on rear window washers.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Any way to get a closeup of that nozzle?
I wonder if the line goes up the A or B pillar in the car? You could remove the L R side panel to see.

What switch do you push for rear washer?

Last edited by stevepaa; 06-19-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:44 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

There is a better pic of the nozzle (and some info as to the option code for a rear window washer, too FWIW) in the Turbo forum (posted by somebody else). I'm less than a year into ownership so still gots lots to learn - but I've finally figured out the washer system on this car - 3 reservoirs, 4 pumps, check valves, crazy.

Oh - Steve - I just press the rear wiper rocker switch.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:47 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

I read the turbo forum info

If you want to add a separate rocker for the washer, I think I can help with the wiring.

I rigged mine so that if I push the washer rocker the wiper works then also.

If I just push the wiper the washer does not operate.

Quick Reply: Windshield washer system woes