Power Steering Pump Support Console Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Arrivare
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump Support Console Removal

Hi,

I have an engine oil leak from either the oil seal or O-ring where the power steering pump drive is taken from the camshaft. To replace them the power steering drive belt housing (console) needs to be removed.

Has anyone done this with the engine in place?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:14 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can confirm that the console can be removed with the engine in situ. Can't think of any reasons why the seal couldn't then be replaced.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Ducks964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First project I ever tackled on my 964. I think I did it on ramps with back tires on. Not a fun experience. I would expect a lot easier on jack stands or a lift.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:53 PM
YaHoo!
Racer

It can be done with the engine in- I just replaced both seals. You may have to remove the rt side heat exchanger and an oil line underneath and the air box up top. I have pictures if you need them. Good luck- prob should replace the PS belt and consider new seals in the pump ($20) "while you are there.". I also replaced the imposing oil line.

Mike
Old 05-30-2013, 03:54 AM
Arrivare
Advanced

Many thanks for the information.

Allen
Old 05-30-2013, 06:15 AM
Ducks964
Racer

I know I did not take off the heat exchangers or any pipes when I did mine. I think just removing the wheel and secondary muffler gives you enough access. Mine had been leaking a little while so the job was messy.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

yes its possible but a bit fiddly, heres some pics from when I did it:

Old 06-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Arrivare
Advanced

Default Power Steering Pump Support Console Update

Just to complete this thread this is what happened :-
I removed the wheel, secondary muffler & support, and the flexible oil pipe to gain access. All went well until I had to remove the 2 shoulder nuts holding the pump to the console. One of them would just not move and I could not get any leverage from inside the engine compartment or underneath. So I removed the top section of tinware and found that I could take out the whole assembly from the engine compartment. (However this was only possible because the solid section of oil pipe shown on Jevvy964's last picture is exactly at 90 degrees. If it is angled less than this the oil pipe nut would have to be slackened off to allow the console to clear the end of the camshaft) Even on the bench the nut was very difficult to remove. The culprit was a failed oil seal and the leak is now cured. Including cleaning the job took about 5 hours. Unfortunately I now have another problem and will start a new thread.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump Support Console Removal