Sponsored by:

DIY Tiptronic fluid flush of ATF cooler and lines

Old 05-17-2013, 02:28 AM
RicardoD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Tiptronic fluid flush of ATF cooler and lines

Use the search feature to find the links to Tiptronic ATF fluid change threads. But these procedures still leave fluid in the ATF cooling lines and ATF cooler.

According to the workshop manual draining and refilling the Tiptronic transmission is about 3.5L of fluid. The total system is about 9.5L. (These estimates seem high to me). There is more fluid in plumbing to the ATF cooling radiator and lines which is sandwiched with the oil cooler in front of the right front wheel.

In the workshop manual it warns "If the ATF is carbonized, or if there is sludge or evidence of lining abrasion in the ATF sump, it is not sufficient merely to repair or replace the gearbox; the ATF cooler and line system must be flushed with ATF."

The workshop manual then shows how you can use the ATF fluid device and M16 x 1.5 coupler to flush the cooler and the lines. Unfortunately I left my ATF fluid filling device in Germany so I had to recreate one in my garage.

The inlet and outlet lines to the cooler (19mm nut hydraulic fittings) are on the left side of Tiptronic transmission unit. In my case when I dropped the engine I had to disconnect these from the car. It appears to me in the workshop manual that you connect the flushing device to the lower hose and let the fluid drain out of the top hose.

My Tiptronic filling device is a cheap garden sprayer. It allows me to pressure the fluid and with the wand fill my tiptronic sump. I adapted this system by hooking up a 1/4" hose to the end of the wand and then purchased the right fittings to hook up to the Tiptronic cooling lines.

At www.mcmaster.com in the USA I bought the following fittings:

1 4936K158 1/2 NPT Female Adapter X M16 X 1.5 Metric Male
2 5346K44 Brass Barbed Hose Fitting, Adapter for 1/4" Hose ID X 1/2" NPTF
3 A few feet of 1/4" ID clear hose & 2 hose clamps

This allowed me to hook up to the M16 x 1.5 hydraulic fitting and then connect to a 1/4" clear tubing. I think the pictures below describe the setup and basic procedure. I hooked up my system to the lower hose.

This worked great. The last picture is a sample of the old ATF when I first started the flush and the a sample of the fluid draining at the end of the flush. I pushed about 4.5 L through the system. My car has 72k miles. Who knows when the fluid was last serviced.
Attached Images      

Last edited by RicardoD; 05-17-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:06 PM
justin-in-athens
User

Nicely done sir. I used my motive bleeder to simply pump about 4qts back into the pan after changing the filter, but this looks like you were really able to get a full fluid exchange.

My used ATF fluid with 76k miles on it didn't look too bad, but yours looks tired.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:57 AM
Turboflyer
User

Default Tip fluid color

Not sure why the fluid is red? Do different tiptronics take different fluid? The OEM fluid I used ESSO and Pentrosi are both light brown amber in color and have a very unique almost cotton smell. This is on a 986 application though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Tiptronic fluid flush of ATF cooler and lines

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: