Sponsored by:

Engine rebuild needed...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 05:28 PM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexjc4
Are the cylinder number correct? I notice they are in different orders. Has cyl#2 gone from 23% to 80%

I'm interested to hear what the expert advice is on this.
Yep, they are correct. I jotted them down myself in that order at Redtek and could not be bothered to change it around.. the guys there were saying perhaps carbon buildup (from the oil being burnt) was stopping the valve in n2 from shutting properly. In any case it needs a top end and most probably rings. Will be interesting when they open it up. They said that the cams are often worn so worth replacing. If so will go for an RS one, to get car closer to RS/Lighweight spec (the lightweight had an RS cam I believe.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:29 PM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ras62
What was the advise from Redtek? Was the leakage through the rings or the valves?
Both they reckoned...but the 80% must be carbon under the exhaust valve.. we could hear it
Old 05-12-2013, 05:49 PM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jack.pe
Both they reckoned...but the 80% must be carbon under the exhaust valve.. we could hear it
Did they say which valve? More likely a bent valve than carbon on the seat. If rings were worn that badly the car would have been smoking very badly. Maybe worth a second opinion before committing to a big bill.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:08 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ras62
Did they say which valve? More likely a bent valve than carbon on the seat. If rings were worn that badly the car would have been smoking very badly. Maybe worth a second opinion before committing to a big bill.
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking, both re bent valve and the rings. Not that I'm qualified to judge.

A boroscope down no2 to check the piston top for impact damage would be interesting. And a repeat of the compression/leakdown check with oil squirted into the cylinder.

Worth doing the diagnosis fully before hitting the big red button.

Btw have you had any mishifts, over revs etc, that might have bounced a valve.

They could also pop the cam cover off and see if you have a broken valve spring.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:05 PM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alexjc4
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking, both re bent valve and the rings. Not that I'm qualified to judge.

A boroscope down no2 to check the piston top for impact damage would be interesting. And a repeat of the compression/leakdown check with oil squirted into the cylinder.

Worth doing the diagnosis fully before hitting the big red button.

Btw have you had any mishifts, over revs etc, that might have bounced a valve.

They could also pop the cam cover off and see if you have a broken valve spring.
They did put a bores scope down, all looked fine apart fr heavy carbon deposits on the valve seats. In any case the car is burning oil and smokes and bent valve or not it needs a top end.. So was not really planning on paying for another leak down elsewhere. I trust Nick will do what is necessary only..
Old 05-12-2013, 07:09 PM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jack.pe
They did put a bores scope down, all looked fine apart fr heavy carbon deposits on the valve seats. In any case the car is burning oil and smokes and bent valve or not it needs a top end.. So was not really planning on paying for another leak down elsewhere. I trust Nick will do what is necessary only..
Plus engine runs really well, apart from smoking and oil usage, I doubt it would be something as extreme as a bent valve or broken spring..hope I'm not proved wrong.. And it was the exhaust side that was leaking as we could hear it coming out from there. And, No, never over revved in my time
Old 05-12-2013, 07:44 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No visible damage to the piston is good news, I guess they checked to see any scoring of the cylinder at the same time.

You could have a half coil missing on one of the two (i think these engines have two) valve springs and that may not ever reveal itself until you strip down. Needn't be a catastrophic failure. I have a feeling you could even replace a ex valve spring with the head on the car.

I'd want the evidence that the case needs opening before getting into the bottom end. As you say the top end needs doing, if the mileage is right and its never been done it's a odds on bet, however if they can clean up the combustion chamber and valve enough in situ to get your leakdown figures back up temporarily at least you know only the top end needs doing. With sensitive use and servicing these bottom ends will do 200k.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:19 PM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I dont know your plan for the car but if the cars a keeper then go for it, otherwise I bet there is a cheaper option than a full rebuild. As always it comes down to how much money you want to throw at it. Good luck and let us know the progress on the old girl.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:24 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Hey guys, am going to go for a top end rebuild and bring engine close to RS spec... have moved this onto my main thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post10460520

Thanks for all your input and advice

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild needed...