Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much engine power can the tiptronic handle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 04:14 AM
torseilertsen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much engine power can the tiptronic handle?

Hi all!

This is my first post here.

I just bought my first Porsche, a Stock '91 964 C2 Tiptronic.
I was wondering about putting in a TPC racing supercharger compressor kit. The kit is bolt on for 964/993, it is supposed to add approx. 100hp to a total of 350hp. It don't seem to be too many reviews out there on the upgrade, but those I find seems very positive!

But I am afraid the extra power will put to much stress on the Tiptronic / torque converter and over time result in expensive repairs. I cant find any info on the subject at all, and guess most upgrades are done on manual geared cars.

Any information on how much the power 964/993 tiptronic can handle would be much appreciated!

Old 04-14-2013, 04:33 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock suspension is very poor.

decent suspension will be the best first upgrade .. plus decent tyres.

unless you just want a drag car that cannot brake or turn.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:07 AM
torseilertsen
Intermediate

Hi!

The suspensions are Bilstein - but pretty old it seems, probably from the car was new and needs to be replaced. The tires are from 2000 and also needs to be replaced even dough there is plenty of rubber left. It has probably not been driven that much the last 12 years!. but the cup design 92 rims are fine! The brakes could also be upgraded to big reds or RS style but I guess stock brakes aren't that bad!?

Its the tiptronic I wonder about.
This car is a garage queen, not a track car and will be handled with care and love, but I wonder if the tip eventually will brake with 350hp. The hp will come to use from time to time. :-) These ZF tip's are supposed to be "bullet proof", but are they made to handle supercharged engines?

best regards
TorS
Old 04-14-2013, 02:42 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't quote me on this but I've heard that Porsche tends to double derate their engineering, which means that for a 250 horsepower engine they've designed the drivetrain to handle double that, which would be 500 horsepower.

Having said that, I've never heard anything specifically about the tiptronics.

As to the supercharger kit, you're going to need the intercooler upgrade to get the quoted 100 horsepower gain, which means you're looking at having to put a new engine lid on your car to accomodate the intercooler.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:56 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by torseilertsen
But I am afraid the extra power will put to much stress on the Tiptronic / torque converter and over time result in expensive repairs. I cant find any info on the subject at all, and guess most upgrades are done on manual geared cars.
Contact Rennlister Robert Linton about his slightly modified normally-aspirated 964 that runs somewhere north of 450HP through a tiptronic. He can probably give you a really good idea of what the factory thought was safe for that transmission.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:31 PM
torseilertsen
Intermediate

Hi and Thanks! I'll try to contact Robert, I am curious about what he has to say!
I spent some time googling the subject, and even dough i did'nt find anythig spessific, i found out that theese trannys "ZF 4HP22HL" have been put inn all sorts of cars, including state of the art cars like large BMW's, LandRovers aso. And in cars with large V8 engines and ADW setups. Allso i ceep reading the phrase "I newer heard of one that broke.." I'm starting to feel rather confident that it'll handle the extra hp the way i'll use them :-)
Wikipedia link: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_4HP22_transmission>
Old 04-25-2013, 02:34 AM
ronone10
Racer

I read somewhere here about one owner of a tiptronic with a TPC supercharger experiencing some problems shifting at high rpms from 1st to 2nd. His solution was to shift sooner. I would give TPC a call to see what they say. There is some good reads here on the subject. You probably know this already.

Keep us posted
Old 04-25-2013, 02:37 AM
ronone10
Racer

Or email TPC... I noticed your location

Old 04-25-2013, 03:08 AM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by ronone10
I read somewhere here about one owner of a tiptronic with a TPC supercharger experiencing some problems shifting at high rpms from 1st to 2nd. His solution was to shift sooner. I would give TPC a call to see what they say. There is some good reads here on the subject. You probably know this already.

Keep us posted
Well, there is the issue of handling power without breaking, and then the programming of shift points.

I just replaced my entire exhaust system, and on WOT from 2nd to 3rd I hit the rev limiter. I attribute this to the reduced back pressure which slows the RMPs down while the shift is happening.

It probably takes a second per lap off my best time, but it sounds great, and there are many more seconds left in learning to drive better. I have not read anywhere about being able to re-program the shift points. Or even better regear, or replace with a 5 speed tiptronic.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:35 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Has Robert Linton actually *driven* his car at all, or is it still in development?
Old 04-26-2013, 12:07 AM
ACSGP
Pro

I did extensive research on this when I had my 964 Tip.

I think that the stock box can take up to 300 bhp/280 lb-ft without problems. The stock engine output is 228 lb-ft. Driving your supercharged 964 gently defeats the purpose.

Spoke to Bob Linton too. His car is specced with the box from the 964 Cup car, and believe it is far stronger than the stock torque converter. The only other person with a Cup Tip is a poster called Hacki who posts in the UK Porsche forums. He bought the car, and I believe Walter Rorhl taught him how to drive the tip, which Rorhl raced in the Cup series.

An indie P car mech suggested that it may be possible to swap the OE item with a 996 Turbo's tip with extensive modifications.

Another good resource would be 9Miester.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:06 AM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Swap to 996 turbo tip unit is really a interesting topic!

Originally Posted by ACSGP
I did extensive research on this when I had my 964 Tip.

I think that the stock box can take up to 300 bhp/280 lb-ft without problems. The stock engine output is 228 lb-ft. Driving your supercharged 964 gently defeats the purpose.

Spoke to Bob Linton too. His car is specced with the box from the 964 Cup car, and believe it is far stronger than the stock torque converter. The only other person with a Cup Tip is a poster called Hacki who posts in the UK Porsche forums. He bought the car, and I believe Walter Rorhl taught him how to drive the tip, which Rorhl raced in the Cup series.

An indie P car mech suggested that it may be possible to swap the OE item with a 996 Turbo's tip with extensive modifications.

Another good resource would be 9Miester.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:18 PM
ZG862
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeK
Has Robert Linton actually *driven* his car at all, or is it still in development?
Who cares? It's pure unadulterated 964 ****.
The only GS America I'd ever want..
Not exactly a stock tiptronic though is it?

Z

Quick Reply: How much engine power can the tiptronic handle?