Sponsored by:

clutch pedal noise...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:17 PM
m3vs911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch pedal noise...

I can hear old door hinge noise Everytime I press and depress the clutch pedal, very obvious when I push it to the bottom and try to release a little and push it in again. tried I spray wd40 around the gap but no help.

any suggestion to do it myself ..?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:25 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What model year's your car. Earlier 964s had a pedal assembly with plastic bushes on the pedal shafts, and they can crack/wear (later ones have a metal bush that you just grease up).

If yours is an early one, it could be as simple as needing new bushes.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:40 PM
m3vs911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Babalouie
What model year's your car. Earlier 964s had a pedal assembly with plastic bushes on the pedal shafts, and they can crack/wear (later ones have a metal bush that you just grease up).

If yours is an early one, it could be as simple as needing new bushes.
that might be the case! my 964 is a 1990 c2 ..how easy would it be? any instruction in removing the cover of the pedal so i can investigate
Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Getting that board out, so that you can have a poke around is pretty easy.

There are 2 phillips head screws along the bottom. Then you have to undo the pushrod from the back of the accelerator. Before you start undoing stuff, get a ruler and measure how far off the back board the accelerator pedal is (when you screw it all back together, you want to get this just-so). Then you need 11mm and 8mm spanners (I think...) to loosen the pushrod and unscrew the pedal from it.

Then the board just lifts up (it just hooks in at the top), and it will take a bit of wiggling to get it past the brake and clutch pedal rubbers, but it'll come off.

I don't suggest you take out the pedal cluster at this stage, but there should be enough room for you to wiggle the pedal, and see if there is a lot of play at its base, where the shaft goes into the assembly.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:09 PM
m3vs911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Babalouie
Getting that board out, so that you can have a poke around is pretty easy.

There are 2 phillips head screws along the bottom. Then you have to undo the pushrod from the back of the accelerator. Before you start undoing stuff, get a ruler and measure how far off the back board the accelerator pedal is (when you screw it all back together, you want to get this just-so). Then you need 11mm and 8mm spanners (I think...) to loosen the pushrod and unscrew the pedal from it.

Then the board just lifts up (it just hooks in at the top), and it will take a bit of wiggling to get it past the brake and clutch pedal rubbers, but it'll come off.

I don't suggest you take out the pedal cluster at this stage, but there should be enough room for you to wiggle the pedal, and see if there is a lot of play at its base, where the shaft goes into the assembly.
thanks thats gonna be very helpful. so did you mean I can just stop at the 2nd picture and replace the bearing if necessary ?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Well...no

Replacing the bushings will mean the pedal cluster has to come all the way out, like the pic above, which involves unbolting the master cylinder in situ (which is a little fiddly), and unhooking the brake pedal

And then in order to get the pedal shaft out, you have to remove this rollpin that holds the assembly together (you drive it out with a hammer and 6mm pin punch)

So I would say for now, just have a peek in there to see if that might be the problem...and if it is...let's cross that bridge when we absolutely have to
Old 03-22-2013, 01:30 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Anytime you get access to the roll pin, REPLACE IT! I've had a bunch of these shear off or split on their length and fall out leaving you stranded. I prefer a grade 8 shank macine bolt and nylock nut.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:49 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by J richard
Anytime you get access to the roll pin, REPLACE IT! I've had a bunch of these shear off or split on their length and fall out leaving you stranded. I prefer a grade 8 shank macine bolt and nylock nut.
I did the bolt thing too, but I think maybe in my case the hole was already a little ovalised, because it developed some more slop over time. The fix at the moment, is that I drilled out the hole to 1/4in and hammered in a 1/4 industrial rollpin (with a 5/32 rollpin hammered into the middle to double it up for strength). Fingers crossed it stays fixed.

Let's see how the OP goes, but the creaking could potentially be a cracked rollpin bending like heck
Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 AM
m3vs911
Instructor

i've prepared the tools this morning and the noise has mostly gone (just very little stretching noise), whaaat the ......?!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 AM
NateSaJack
Instructor

I get the door hinge noise but thought it was my knee

Another job added to the list!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:22 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

I get the same noise on and off. I think its related to how 'square' you push the peddle. The more off axis your leg motion the more noise it'll make (in my case).

Can you install a grease fitting??
Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 PM
m3vs911
Instructor

Originally Posted by dlpalumbo
I get the same noise on and off. I think its related to how 'square' you push the peddle. The more off axis your leg motion the more noise it'll make (in my case).

Can you install a grease fitting??
sounds similar , how did you fix this?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:58 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 241 Likes on 171 Posts

The plastic bushes are inexpensive and not that difficult to replace. It makes everything smooth and nice. I would call it a very good job.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:59 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 241 Likes on 171 Posts

And, of course replacing roll pin. Very important.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:38 AM
m3vs911
Instructor

Originally Posted by c didy
And, of course replacing roll pin. Very important.
can you kindly let me know what sort of replacement parts that I will need? are they all very easy to replace? I've never done this before and worried about stuck in between the job lol

Quick Reply: clutch pedal noise...