Sponsored by:

Wevo mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 03:30 PM
cobias1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wevo mounts

Just got my wevo engine mounts two days ago. Was wondering if anyone has photos showing the bracket area and where the hardware nuts washers etc are located. Was told to use some of the oem hardware but not what hardware. Any advice and directions will be appreciated.
Dan
Old 03-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

You reuse the 2 bolts and 2 triangle shaped washers per mount. You also reuse the big bottom nut.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:31 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Good choice....

Installation is easy; however, the two most common installation failure points are:
1. Over-torque. The Wevo's are torqued to less than factory mounts
2. Position of the lower washer. It must seat next to the bottom blue piece. If the bottom blue piece is tightened to the engine carrier, it will destroy that piece.

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:11 PM
cobias1
Racer

Awesome thanks guys..thats exactly what I was looking for.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:38 PM
cobias1
Racer

Mounts are in...will be riding in a bit into town and checking them out. First observation with the old ones were they looked in decent shape, but gave them a shake, apparently one was totally leaked out. The other you could still hear fluid in it. The empty one was also on the side that, when hitting a rough spot in the road, the car would pull that way. Hopefully this will correct that. Will post some pics later and recheck them after a few drives to work and back. Thanks again guys, it was easy to do once I got some good clear cut directions. 1.5 hrs total me thinks.
Dan
Old 03-12-2013, 04:44 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 03-13-2013, 12:32 AM
cobias1
Racer

lol hi wind. well the pull seems to be gone. still think I need to lower the front a bit to compensate for the whale tail. all in all though this has been a good update. next will be the fuel evap canister. Hope to get that done this weekend. peace out bro's.

Dan
Old 03-13-2013, 12:38 AM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

love the wevo's. One of the top upgrades I did a few years ago. Really settled the car....The KW V3's had something to do with that too Enjoy!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:28 AM
sc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great upgrade! Love the Wevos. Any of you guys notice a bit more shifter shake at above 3K rpm?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:27 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the Wevo mounts a solid mount? How does it affect the ride quality?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Yes, Wevo's are a solid material, similar to the 964 RS mounts. No hydraulics like the original 964 mounts. There are two versions, a stiffer and a softer version. The black pillows are the softer version.

How do they compare? I helped a friend install a set with black pillows on his 964 cab. They worked out very well. He likes them. Be careful to put the washers in the correct position. We wreaked our first set of pillows by putting the bottom washer in the wrong position. Vandt's picture above is the correct way. The washers should sandwich the pillow.

http://wevo.com/Products/ChassisProd...-SSPillows.htm
Old 03-14-2013, 01:50 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Dan,
Just saw your earlier PM (was away for the week).
I love my Wevos and have since upgraded to the stiffer Blue mounts on bottom. More of a good thing!

Here's a link to my install and impressions.
Wevo m.m. installed - impressions

Here's a link to Wevo's 997 MMs, they do a better job describing the benefits on that page, than on their other product pages. http://wevo.com/Products/ChassisProd...gineMounts.htm

"...The WEVO 997 SS Engine Mount is designed to offer more precise control of the drivetrain mass. Our experience with the whole family of SS Mount products has illustrated that most drivers experience the sensation of the drivetrain unit moving relative to the chassis mass. The drivetrain in a Porsche is independently suspended from the sprung mass of the car via the compliance in the engine and transmission mounts. This drivetrain assembly represents approximately 25% of the sprung weight of the car. The opportunity for forces to move the drivetrain comes from many inputs, such as the torque reaction of vehicle acceleration loads, the bumps and variations in the road surface and the lateral forces created in cornering and braking. That degree of independent movement of the drivetrain is responsible for some of the “sloppy” feeling that is evident when the performance envelope of the vehicle is explored. The higher the forces, the higher the deflections in the hydro-elastic mounts, therefore the deflections and movement of the drivetrain mass begin to operate out of phase with the movement of the car as a whole. For Racing the factory eliminate the hydro elastic mounts and install solid engine mount positions – marrying together the mass of the drivetrain and the sprung mass of the car. While solid mounts might be considered a conventional wisdom for a race car, this practice has an enormous impact on NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) making it totally impractical for a street driven car.

The WEVO 997 SS Engine Mounts skew the performance intentions of the O.E. engine mounts and control movement by allowing smaller deflections under the same loads. Your drivetrain remains “independently suspended” but managed by a much stiffer suspension – much like stiffer dampers, anti-roll bars or springs could replace the original parts in your front and rear axle suspension configurations.

Unlike solid engine and transmission mount systems, the Semi Solid installation has no metal to metal contact and retains sufficient isolation from engine vibrations to protect your sensitive engine control electronics, sound system and instrumentation systems.

Like all deviations from the original design, there is some compromise. In this case the compromise is the potential for extra noise and vibration to heard and felt in the passenger compartment. Our testing has indicated that the change in NVH is a fair exchange for the performance improvement. A tighter feeling chassis, one with quicker left- right response, more predictable gear change precision and stability under braking. In essence, if you have modified your car in any way, loud exhaust, aftermarket suspension, lightweight seats, lightweight interior….any of these systems are just as likely to have increased the NVH quota for your car and the WEVO 997 SS Engine Mounts might be a somewhat transparent addition to your tuning regiment in terms of NVH."

As was mentioned above, here's how you correctly install the washer:
Old 03-15-2013, 06:13 PM
cobias1
Racer

Heya Jetta,
hope your out of towner went well. I would also like to add that the washer that comes with the wevos have a bottom that is shaped into the contour of the squarish contour of the top of the engine carrier. Also I sent Hayden of Wevo a quick note this morning with a basic gist of this:

as I turned back onto a main highway after stopping at the grocers this morning, I goosed the 964. Before with the old mounts what would happen is the back end would get a horrible shudder from this much juice going to the back wheels. With the new mounts though, there was no more shudder and the back wheels were able to spin, ( not my exact intentions I would like to add here), however, it put a sh*t eating grin on my face as I corrected the @ss end that was coming around. So as I told Hayden I would give them another inspection tomorrow when I do the fuel evap canister. I expect though that all is well with them and like Jetta has stated am now considering the blue pillows or in the least an extra set of blacks just for providence sake.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:31 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 177 Posts

I really like mine. Hardly any difference in noise. After 1 day undetectable.

Quick Reply: Wevo mounts