Sponsored by:

So It Begins

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Fuch,

Thanks mate, I'll be sure to keep everyone updated. If not while we're waiting I'll post pics of other Porsches from my past

The KG's are stuffed with beautiful design features even the badge is a work of art. This is a pic of Edward's again.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 04-07-2013, 06:48 AM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice job, looking forward to end result.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:04 AM
Robbie Ravioli
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice write with some great pics. Looking forward to the follow up of the 3.8 experience.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi,

Nice job, looking forward to end result.
Thanks very much Tom, I've PM'd you.

Very nice write with some great pics. Looking forward to the follow up of the 3.8 experience.
Thanks Robbie, will do, I'm just waiting for some photos to keep me going, I'll post ASAP

Cheers,
Paul
Old 04-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi,

Here we go

A couple of photos to keep us going. As you can see most of the tin-ware is completely shot.

[/URL]

The bits off, ready for the serious part. I'm afraid this is all I've got so far but Nick's a lot further on than this. The Mahle pistons and barrels haven't arrived from the US yet but much of the other parts including the new exhaust system has. I was originally hoping to re-use the Dansk twin as it's only been on a year which equates only to about 2k miles but it's not going to work with the full build.

More soon,
Paul
Old 04-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi Guys,

An update:

Last week the gas flow in the case was sorted and other machining processes were taking shape this photo is about halfway through machining:

This week the RS flywheel arrived and the crank was balanced on Monday. The new steel rods (a performance upgrade) have arrived, I'm guessing the markers indicate individual weights all matching 576 gms?

There has been a hold up on the Mahle pistons and barrels and the induction system but hopefully next week should sort this out. Also the bottom end engine build will be completed next week.

The good new is that Nick thinks "2 weeks max" to completion, we'll see

Cheers,
Paul
Old 04-20-2013, 04:25 PM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Nice one Paul. Most definitely looking forward to pics when built and installed.

BTW - the 'fast lambda' and engine and air temp sensors - all 'part and parcel' requirement due to using the Motec M84? What does a 'fast lambda' do? It's the exhaust O2 sensor - what makes it 'fast'?
Old 04-20-2013, 04:49 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Thanks LM964, me too

In answer to your excellent question, as I understand it (I might be wrong) "fast" relating to the fast lambda is the transition time of of the o2 sensor or it's ability to react quickly.

The exhaust gas oxygen sensor (EGO or O2), or lambda sensor, is the key sensor in the engine fuel control feedback loop. The computer uses the O2 sensor’s input to balance the fuel mixture, leaning the mixture when the sensor reads rich and enriching the mixture when the sensor reads lean.

Lambda sensors produce a voltage signal that recognises the amount of unburnt oxygen in the exhaust. An oxygen sensor is essentially a battery that generates its own voltage. When hot (at least 250 °C), the zirconium dioxide element in the sensor’s tip produces a voltage that varies according to the amount of oxygen in the exhaust compared to the ambient oxygen level in the outside air. The greater the difference, the higher the sensor’s output voltage.

Sensor output ranges from 0.2 volts (lean) to 0.8 volts (rich). A perfectly balanced or "stoichiometric" fuel mixture of 14.7 parts of air to 1 part of fuel gives an average reading of around 0.45 volts.

The lambda sensor’s output voltage doesn't remain constant, however. It flip-flops back and forth from rich to lean. Every time the voltage reverses itself and goes from high to low or vice versa, it’s called a “cross count”. A good O2 sensor on a injection system should fluctuate from rich to lean about 1 per second. If the number of cross counts is lower than this, it tells you the O2 sensor is getting sluggish and needs to be replaced.

Most lambda sensors will cycle from rich to lean in about 50 to 100 milliseconds, and from lean to rich in 75 to 150 milliseconds. This is referred to as the “transition time”. If the O2 sensor is taking significantly longer to reverse readings, this too is an indication that it is getting sluggish and may need to be replaced.

Observing the sensor’s waveform on a scope is a good way to see whether or not it is slowing down with age. If the sensor becomes sluggish, it can create hesitation problems during sudden acceleration.
Hope the above helps.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 04-20-2013, 04:58 PM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Cheers Paul, All quite scientific these 20+ year-old motors - more than we appreciate.

I hear often that we need to treat lambda sensors as consumables and replace them from time to time. Quite how that translates in to engine hours I have no idea. Maybe then a 'fast' lambda is an option for the rest of us (as a discreet item upgrade), if it helps 'up' things a bit. Assuming of course that it doesn't need an ECU/Motec update to make it work or add benefit.

Keep it coming..

Marcus
Old 04-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi Marcus.

I hear often that we need to treat lambda sensors as consumables and replace them from time to time. Quite how that translates in to engine hours I have no idea.
Apparently it's only about 40 - 50k miles, so I guess it might be worth having the factory fitted item checked out at least.

Will do,
Paul
Old 05-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi All,

Apologies for lack of updates but things have been moving at a glacial speed although I'm pleased to say we're picking up the pace now.

The PMO's have now been shipped from Clewitt's who have been having their own supplier problems, these should arrive within days.

The Mahle pistons and barrels are also promised out this out this week so now the crankcase has been boat-tailed it's time for the assembly to begin:

Eight bearing balanced crank freshly polished with new 576g matched connecting rods.

Oil pump with intermediate shaft.

Pauter rods.

Ooops, well it is getting exciting installation of oil pump driven by intermediate shaft and duplex cam drive chains.

Crankcase finally boxed up.

The new lightweight RS Flywheel.

Meanwhile other bits and pieces for the project have been descending from the skies at regular intervals.

New SRP racing pedals.

No spikes on the noisy pedal to enable heel-toeing.

The new heater duct from the fan shroud is carbon and a single piece of carbon which I though would look lonely (too much IMO can make it like a dog's dinner) so perhaps the new plug cable tidy for the fan housing will balance things out a little in the engine bay.

The exterior door handles are being drilled and re-anodised black so match them (the Momo Prototipo and SRP racing pedals) the new Rennline interior handles.

Another little detail made for me by Ed at Porschedials.com inspired by the knuckle-bitingly beautiful Singer. This is not a stick on piece, it's a replacement part made by a craftsman who makes replacement dials for Porsche (Classic) themselves, amongst others. There are 2 types of clock face for the 964 with different warning lights (not all used) this is the type for mine.

Design for pre-manufacture approval.

Finished replacement clock face with Heuer chronograph logo.

After much deliberation I decided that a matt black Monte-Carlo would be more fitting than the beautiful vintage Heuer Decimal which is now going to be transferred to my son's '72 Karmann Ghia, I know what you're thinking, a calendar would be more appropriate, but it will look the part.

More very soon, I hope
Paul
Old 05-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Paul that car is so badass its not even funny!!!! Can't wait to see more.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:44 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Paul that car is so badass its not even funny!!!! Can't wait to see more.

Thanks for your encouragement Jerry, there's more to come

I forgot to show this photo yesterday. I have looked at so many drilled out door handles that my eyes are resembling a pair of Swiss cheeses and this is the very best example I've seen. Full marks to whoever did them so I'm going to use the style spacing and sizes, anodised black of course.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 05-24-2013, 07:47 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Mr Magnus Walker's door handles creeping across the waters.

Keep the pics coming...
Old 05-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Parman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Paul,

I just noticed this thread. Your car looks great. I'm sure it will be a beast. What methods and materials did you use to clean your engine?

Bill

Quick Reply: So It Begins