Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Masher
Bet you look daft in Tescos!
But I'll fit right in at LIDL
Old 02-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just dont get the string back variety as these belong in an Austin Allegro.

I'm favouring the eBay ones for a tenner
Old 02-28-2013, 09:13 PM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

For my birthday, my wife gave me some Stand21 racewear stuff - a helmet bag and gloves. Nice high quality stuff.

http://www.stand21ga.com/scripts/pdf...hp?id_info=162
Old 03-01-2013, 12:41 AM
hamah
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
I used an iron to shrink the leather until they were perfectly formed to my hands/ fingers.
Ouch! That must have hurt
Old 03-01-2013, 03:32 AM
geordie
Pro

Originally Posted by aj986s
x2 on getting some proper TRACK driving gloves, like Sparco, GForce, etc. They may be a bit pricier, but can serve multiple purposes. Some are under $70.
  • The leather palms will help provide a good grip on the steering wheel.
  • In the rare event of some sort of incident, the gloves will allow you to deal with broken glass, sharp metal edges, etc. much better than with bare hands.
  • In the even rarer event of some sort of incident involving fire, the Nomex will be appreciated.
  • I also recommend getting brighter colored gloves, like Red or Yellow or Blue, to make your hand signals more visible. Other cars and corner workers will thank you.
+1 Better safe than sorry
Old 03-02-2013, 02:54 AM
S7AR
Intermediate

Lowly gentlemen out of the US has a nice driving glove.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:46 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zingari
Just dont get the string back variety as these belong in an Austin Allegro.

I'm favouring the eBay ones for a tenner
Hey don't knock the string-backs ; it's a look that says ''I'm in control of my vehicle

Old 03-02-2013, 05:05 AM
oldtimer
Racer

Hi Mike , I'm a bit late replying to your original post so hope it can still be useful.

For trackdays and driving gloves , I always remember an instructor ( ex racer) telling me how he needed to get the door open for a quick exit when a fire had started and it was only the gloves that saved him from serious injury.

I use very reasonably priced Nomex gloves from a UK company ( AWS , near Ashford , Kent ) , you can order off their website . Maybe not as tactile as Franks skin tight fittings but they grip OK , soak up the sweat , and will keep you safe !

http://www.advanced-wear.co.uk/bootsgloves.html
Old 03-02-2013, 05:30 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 471 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MusicMadMike
Hi Guys,

being a track day newby, I am pretty sure that the excitement of it all will result in a bit of sweaty palm action. I think that being able to have full control of the wheel is also a very good thing and slippage due to sweat is not a good thing. I don't have an alcantara wheel, in fact my wheel is new and so it might be a bit shiny which may exacerbate things further. To this end I'm thinking of getting some gloves. Is this a bit over the top ? I was thinking about these
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...ly-race-gloves . They are not too expensive, look ok and should do the job too. Opinions
I've had a set of the DT OMP gloves for ten years now, they're superb. Comfortable, grippy with the alcantara wheel on my 964 RS, sensibly priced AND FIA approved. Mine are now tired but comfortable. I've recently bought the same gloves to replace them.
Highly recommended
Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I Like them too. Graham Hill used them.
Just spotted these...
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/leisur...driving-gloves
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2013, 12:10 PM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ooooh Frank. Loving those. I have a shirt by the same heritage company. Now you've thrown a spanner in it I was all set to get the Alpinestars but I cant really use those on the road. WANT! NEED!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ooooh Frank. Loving those. I have a shirt by the same heritage company. Now you've thrown a spanner in it I was all set to get the Alpinestars but I cant really use those on the road. WANT! NEED!
Yeah, they are nice those!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:49 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Hi Guys,

being a track day newby, I am pretty sure that the excitement of it all will result in a bit of sweaty palm action. I think that being able to have full control of the wheel is also a very good thing and slippage due to sweat is not a good thing. I don't have an alcantara wheel, in fact my wheel is new and so it might be a bit shiny which may exacerbate things further. To this end I'm thinking of getting some gloves. Is this a bit over the top ? I was thinking about these
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...ly-race-gloves . They are not too expensive, look ok and should do the job too. I know that regular driving gloves are a bit of an emotive subject but I really like them. There's a touch of Mr Toad/Terry Thomas() about wearing them but they do make sense on long journeys or cold starts or in summer for that matter. I know that we are not driving so many cars nowadays with wooden steering wheels but as a functional gentlemen's accessory I think they're great. I saw these on ebay http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/25123...=262531_281231 . Opinions
yes ! driving gloves !
i love them , bloody well done ! ill be wearing mine at spa too
wear mine daily in berlin driving around an old 2.2s , rain , shine or snow !
the gimpier the better as far as im concerned .
Old 03-08-2013, 05:55 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
I have a pair of Karting gloves - never really worked for me actually.

The eBay/ Dents are exactly the ones I have. They were good enough for race drivers of the time and they're good enough for me. The snug fit means there's no play and great feel of the steering wheel. It's what I used at Spa last year.

As for people thinkin' ya look an ****? Well gloves are the least of my worries, was born looking like an **** In seriousness though, I think they look great.

I used an iron to shrink the leather until they were perfectly formed to my hands/ fingers.
can you describe this iron method please ?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:13 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Most racing gloves tend to have suede leather on the palms and finger pads; bad news on a smooth stock leather wheel. You want to make sure the glove is compatable with the wheel. A glove with smooth leather or neoprene pads is better for a smooth wheel. Suede or alcantra wheels tear the crap out of my hands over a weekend, so gloves are a must for me. I actually found the Mechanix work gloves to be real comfortable, but if your all about style then it's fancy leather for you....(but be prepared to be the brunt of some humor)

Quick Reply: Driving gloves