Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to repair hole in sill carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:07 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts
Default How to repair hole in sill carpet?

My new to me car has a hole in the sill carpet where the previous owner dragged his feet when getting in and out. Does anyone have ideas on how to repair this? I have identified a sell of individual carpet squares but don't know my exact carpet colour nor am I sure that I want a glaring 23 year colour mismatch.
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you CAN source a strip of carpet from either elsewhere in the car or another source, then I would say it may be best to cut the strip down at the floorpan, all along that sill and graft in a new strip with a seam at the angle where the floorpan ends and it comes up to curl over the sill.

That way the sill from the floorpan up is all new carpet and the seam would look close to factory. if you're really **** you could do the other side to match so that only the concours judges would mark you down (g)
Old 03-08-2013, 06:32 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion any kind of patch job is going to be glaringly obvious. A new carpet kit with run you close to $300--if you are DIY inclined, it is not that difficult. Probably looking at a 8hrs to remove everything and put the new kit in--depends on how much free time you have and how apt you are at this kind of work.

You might just consider replacing this section. You'll probably want to pull the seat--although it isn't completely required. Try Appbiz for a precut piece. You can also buy carpet "paint" in an aerosol to freshen up your old stuff.

Quick Reply: How to repair hole in sill carpet?