Driving gloves

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:55 AM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driving gloves

Hi Guys,

being a track day newby, I am pretty sure that the excitement of it all will result in a bit of sweaty palm action. I think that being able to have full control of the wheel is also a very good thing and slippage due to sweat is not a good thing. I don't have an alcantara wheel, in fact my wheel is new and so it might be a bit shiny which may exacerbate things further. To this end I'm thinking of getting some gloves. Is this a bit over the top ? I was thinking about these
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...ly-race-gloves . They are not too expensive, look ok and should do the job too. I know that regular driving gloves are a bit of an emotive subject but I really like them. There's a touch of Mr Toad/Terry Thomas() about wearing them but they do make sense on long journeys or cold starts or in summer for that matter. I know that we are not driving so many cars nowadays with wooden steering wheels but as a functional gentlemen's accessory I think they're great. I saw these on ebay http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/251232875040?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&clk_rvr_id=454626451580&crlp=1_262531_281231&UA=WXI8&GUID=c962eecf13c0a5f084b4fe94ff735bc3&mt_id=635&query=%7Bquery%7D&fitem=251232875040&linkin_id=8066352&kw=%7Bquery%7D&sortbid=10&crdt=0&ff4=262531_281231 . Opinions
Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, nice!

Maybe too 'gentleman' for me, but handy if you get into a scuffle on/off-track!

I use Karting gloves. Great thing about track days are you don't have to use FIA approved clothing!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:15 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^
I too use Karting gloves. I also now wear karting boots and a helmet balaclava
Old 02-28-2013, 09:28 AM
jotaking
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Demon tweeks - Drivin

Ebay - Fightin

Get both and keep your options open?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're going to spend the money for driving gloves, get Sparco Tides and be happy.

You may thank me later.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

A few years back I went on one of Johnathon Palmers track days. Really enjoyed it. Part of the pre arrival notes said you needed some driving gloves. The only ones I could find in the time I had were those leather ones with the circle cut out on the back of your hand that grandads used to wear. Turned out they weren't needed after all. So on the way back home in my Subaru, I thought I would try them out to see what they were like. All was going well until a car full of workmates came past and saw I was wearing them. Oh no. Could have died. Got ribbed about it for weeks afterwards.
My advice would be dont let anyone you know see you wearing them or you may experience the same as I got. :0
Old 02-28-2013, 10:46 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

x2 on getting some proper TRACK driving gloves, like Sparco, GForce, etc. They may be a bit pricier, but can serve multiple purposes. Some are under $70.
  • The leather palms will help provide a good grip on the steering wheel.
  • In the rare event of some sort of incident, the gloves will allow you to deal with broken glass, sharp metal edges, etc. much better than with bare hands.
  • In the even rarer event of some sort of incident involving fire, the Nomex will be appreciated.
  • I also recommend getting brighter colored gloves, like Red or Yellow or Blue, to make your hand signals more visible. Other cars and corner workers will thank you.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:51 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MusicMadMike
I know that regular driving gloves are a bit of an emotive subject but I really like them. There's a touch of Mr Toad/Terry Thomas() about wearing them but they do make sense on long journeys or cold starts or in summer for that matter. I know that we are not driving so many cars nowadays with wooden steering wheels but as a functional gentlemen's accessory I think they're great. I saw these on ebay

I have a pair of Karting gloves - never really worked for me actually.

The eBay/ Dents are exactly the ones I have. They were good enough for race drivers of the time and they're good enough for me. The snug fit means there's no play and great feel of the steering wheel. It's what I used at Spa last year.

As for people thinkin' ya look an ****? Well gloves are the least of my worries, was born looking like an **** In seriousness though, I think they look great.

I used an iron to shrink the leather until they were perfectly formed to my hands/ fingers.
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2013, 12:00 PM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP

The eBay/ Dents are exactly the ones I have. They were good enough for race drivers of the time and they're good enough for me. The snug fit means there's no play and great feel of the steering wheel. It's what I used at Spa last year.

As for people thinkin' ya look an ****? Well gloves are the least of my worries, was born looking like an **** In seriousness though, I think they look great.

I used an iron to shrink the leather until they were perfectly formed to my hands/ fingers.
I Like them too. Graham Hill used them. Hadn't though of Karting gloves though so will investigate. £70 for Sparco Tides is a little out of budget. If I go for the Dents, I must remember to take hands out of glove before ironing.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Ghengis
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP

Frank where did you get your carpet mats from? I saw them on someone's car ages ago and have been looking for them ever since. They would be just the job for my black leather with red piping interior.

Sorry for the highjack!

Thomas
Old 02-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MusicMadMike
I Like them too. Graham Hill used them. Hadn't though of Karting gloves though so will investigate. £70 for Sparco Tides is a little out of budget. If I go for the Dents, I must remember to take hands out of glove before ironing.
Actually... when I did it I alternated between ironing them on a table and on hand. Be careful though! It's a slow process but once done it's a seriously perfect fit.

The gloves are unlined, well made and durable.

Originally Posted by Ghengis
Frank where did you get your carpet mats from?
They're really a great fit, well made and pleasure to do business with company.
http://www.autostyle.co.uk/catalog/index.php
Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Ghengis
Instructor

Thanks Frank. I'll give them a shout.

Thomas
Old 02-28-2013, 01:06 PM
PAOLOP
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Alpinestars Tech 1-ZX Gloves
P.S.: do not forget the Hans collar with six-point seat belts
Old 02-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Masher
Instructor

Originally Posted by boxsey911
^^^
I too use Karting gloves. I also now wear karting boots and a helmet balaclava
Bet you look daft in Tescos!
Old 02-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Another cost-effective choice is black right and left-handed golf gloves.

Quick Reply: Driving gloves