Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It started with 2 little leaks -

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Robbie Ravioli
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The charcoal filter catches fuel fumes from the tank, than under certain conditions puts it in the engine. Therefore he charcoal filter has three connections, one from the tank, one to the engine and one vent line connected to nothing (atmospheric). The last line might not have a pipe connected (later vehicles also have a shutoff valve, not present on a 964). If for whatever reason you want to remove he charcoal filter, your car will stink like fuel on hot days. If you take it out, dont connect the pipes, as you will suck straight from the tank, causing tank depression. The OBD2 monitor may flag an error, as it assumes the purge line is disconnected (which it is).

Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:15 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Any updates, especially around the electric PS?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:24 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice work. Really like the aeroquip on the oil lines. I was hoping to go that route but opted in the end to rebuild as original as the rest of the project was adding up. Next time tho :-)
Old 05-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

ok - Sorry for the delay - having too much fun with kidney stones - such a treat
here are a few up date photo's -
i have the PS in and working - pic - I made a temp bracket just to check and see if all would work - am pleased with the system and have run 2 autocrosses with it without any problems -will make a permanent mount, re-work hoses, add solid lines and a cooler to the system. i installed a switch in the center consul to turn the pump on/off once (power is keyed to ign being on. It is kind of cool as you don't have to fight the steering when you are just pushing the car around as you can turn the PS pump on and steer with ease.
Note on the performance of the MR2 power steering pump - It appears that the pressure from the MR2 unit is a little less than the stock PS unit - but I like the feel as it seems to give more positive feedback. At speed is about the same -
Side project-, I kind of got interested in what "Pchar " was doing with the vinyl covering - so got some with the carbon fiber look and did the shark fins and the bottom half of the lower side panels. think it is an interesting look - thoughts ??
Then i decided to replace the interior - what a mess - think this has to be the worst project I have ever undertaken - the adhesive is terrible, Porsche must have gotten a really good deal on a cheap adhesive based on the amount they used in the car. I am not so sure that someone didn't just drop the can at some point - see pic of all the different solutions I have tried -
So far the best is the brake cleaner. Used in little areas at a time, repeated with scrubbing and it works fairly good. But, I still have that sticky film layer - the adhesive is causing me to have nightmares. ( Could be the fumes from the different cleaners)
Side note - I am not responsible if the pictures are sideways.
Attached Images       
Old 05-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Did you notice any power free up from the lack of the engine-driven power steering pump?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:55 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Robbie Ravioli
If for whatever reason you want to remove he charcoal filter, your car will stink like fuel on hot days.
+1 Been there, done that, instantly regretted it

The OBD2 monitor may flag an error, as it assumes the purge line is disconnected (which it is).
Not on a 964 - no OBD2
Old 05-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

The seat of my pants tells me a little - very hard to tell. But, there has to be some gain as the engine no longer drive the stock PS pump. I only took the drive belt off the cam drive - will remove the pump at a later date. Other gain is a little more weight moved to the front. Once I make the new mounts for the PS pump I should be able to get my spare back in the car.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Ref disconnecting the Charcoal filter system - I have had no adverse smells or issues with the lines disconnected - So will finalize this remove and cap off the lines as not necessary. Remember that I don't have a stock ECU, so it may null this as an issue.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:28 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gus
Ref disconnecting the Charcoal filter system - I have had no adverse smells or issues with the lines disconnected - So will finalize this remove and cap off the lines as not necessary. Remember that I don't have a stock ECU, so it may null this as an issue.
If you cap the line from the tank how will the tank vent (this is the line that stinks when the tank is fullish on a hot day)?

Quick Reply: It started with 2 little leaks -