Sponsored by:

Introduction Post- testing

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:15 PM
911therapy1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction Post- testing

I am posting my introduction to see if Avatar, signature, and all else was set up correctly.. (doubtful as I was the data provider!)

I have tried to read all the "do's and don'ts".

I have been reading the forums for about a year, input from the community helped me fly down to New Mexico to buy my long term therapy plan, a low miles, (49,000)/ fairly well documented original 1990 C2.. I replied to the cost post, but realized I have now had the 964 for longer than I thought.. spring vs. fall of last year, (took a different trip to NM in fall).

Car was owned by my father for 3 months, he and I have only owned 924's and 914, but I spent my youth fascinated with the 911. He decided he didn't want to commit to the unknown at this stage of his 70's, so I sold my Mustang convertible restomod on Ebay as fast as I could to pay for his Porsched outright.

I won't go on too long, but I have done a few things myself and had a local shop do others to the car since I got it.
I put in new hood struts, cleaned the ISV valve, put in new fuel filter, air filter, and installed a new DME. Had shop change oil, plugs, wires, install distributor vent kit, distributor caps and rotors. Paint and interior overall good, has a ding right below front crest. Probably has the dual mass still as no records of a change.....

Runs extremely smooth now, doesn't seem to burn much oil at all, I was actually a bit surprised at this. I have read multiple Rennlister's oil gauge/dipstick manifestos, so feel I am accurate.

I knew it was not a slam dunk by any means due to the missing distributor vent kit, (no one had ever installed).
At $14, 000, I felt I could probably drive it back, and if needed a couple thousand additional initially, that would still be a good deal.
Now debating on ditching or keeping the very good condition, heavy D90's, or go larger and lighter...hmmm..and mirrors.....and

Anyway, thanks for all the advice, and I will see if this works...
Old 02-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default A really nice car !

AND and exceptional buy on such a low mileage example. I was surprised no one had put the vent kit on the distributors... wonders never cease. Please post more pics of the car, interior, underneath, lets see what a low mileage car looks like from New Mexico where it is dry!!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Great looking car. I saw your post on the Prices stickied thread and wondered how you got such a low mileage C2 couple for such a great price. Your dad really cut you a good deal on that car. Congrats. Looks awesome!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:57 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by 911therapy1
...my long term therapy plan...
I like that one.

There's something about '90 Slate Grey C2s, ask me how I know.
Obviously it's the fastest color also.

I think D90s -forged aluminum- are actually pretty lightweight (maybe just because they are 16"s)??
Welcome, sounds like you've got a good one.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:01 PM
f3nr15
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my '93 in 2011, it had undergone three services at a local Porsche Centre over some years, and still no vent kit! Was it a recall/TSB?

Oh, and LOVELY car BTW, I would keep it stock - D90s and flag mirrors are retro cool :-)
Old 02-17-2013, 11:50 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes D90s are actually one of the lightest wheels you can run, except for exotic RS wheels which are another price point altogether. Wheels get heavier as you go larger in diameter so if it's about weight, I'd hang tight where you are.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:55 PM
mrmandmman
Racer

That's a good price for the miles. Get yourself some springs to drop the front ride height. You could always do something like I did to my D90s (see avatar).
Old 02-18-2013, 12:13 AM
RayB_911
Instructor

I too was wanting more details on how you got such a good price. I sounds likemyou had to do some work. Many of these appear to be between $18k & $20k unless Tip them less.

Welcome to Rennlist. It's a great forum. Nice car!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:45 AM
911therapy1
Advanced

Thanks for letting me know on weight of the 90s, I thought I had heard opposite! I will work on getting some more pictures up, not sure how to attach them yet outside of the signature... will have to read up. I don't have any under car pictures, so will have to take along with interior.
Have to learn how to quote people too, the " signs to the lower right seem to be it, but can't paste or such..hmm

I bought the Mustang from my father as well, paid a few too much to help him on that one 10 years ago, he cut a few for me on the 911..
Cheers
Old 02-18-2013, 12:47 AM
911therapy1
Advanced

Trying to respond on mrmandmman..not sure if I hit the right button...

I actually like what you did on your D90's... did you post on that, I may have read about it months back now that you remind me... I will search
Old 02-18-2013, 12:58 AM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the D90 treatment too - if you wanna have them pro-shot, Skips Wheel Werks in Tigard is the bee's knees IMHO. He did my Rufs and I'm very happy w/the work.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:24 PM
mrmandmman
Racer

I got my D90s (a little dirty and finish chipping off) for the price of shipping from a fellow RL'er. I have blizzacks mounted on them for the winter. I just sanded and used tape and wheel paint from a local car parts shop.

Quick Reply: Introduction Post- testing