Sponsored by:

Blue C4 - Evolution

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 06:36 PM
evanscott964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi jack
The 64 is looking awesome that colour is superb, have you had the car weighed yet to find out the final value?
What anti roll bars are you running? Unfortunately the C4 is always going to under steer to a degree nature of the beast, best solution I found was to fit adjustable ARB's in order to dial out under steer .
By the way the Alfa rules really like it!
Simon
Old 02-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Jack,

Looking great, hope you're enjoying the Redtek experience!

Love the Guilia! The seats need a little TLC, add that to your list of DIY's, re-Connollising and re-dying and they would look fantastic! Very satisfying job as the results are fantastic.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 02-24-2014, 09:37 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chaps, was putting some miles on the car and dropped by nick's place on Sat, had a good chat.. car now has 600 miles and he said I can take it up to 5000 revs, really picks up and goes from 4000. I would say below 2000 it is slightly weaker, about he same or perhaps slightly better between 2-4000 and much quicker above that..

On another note I am not getting on with my new Pole Positions, suffer from a bad back and just can't use them. They have the Porsche crest sewn into them at an extra cost of £80 per seat and have the proper Southbound Mounts, all in all they cost me £1400. Been used for 3 hours, am open to sensible offers if anyone wants them.. please Pm me if you do. I will also put up a separate thread on these if no one replies here.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:22 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Guys,

The engine at SPA was freaking brilliant.. pulls really well, feels very strong. Thoroughly recommend it.
Next up I have ordered some stiffer H&R bars as on track my Bilstein HDs and H&R Greens feel too soft..

Also a quick update on the Alfa..
A quick update on where I am with Smokey, hope to be on the road in a couple of weeks max:
Am going for a new hood as soon as the stuff below is done. Don't want to be caught out in the rain without a reasonably watertight covering. I'm afraid it would dissolve and I want to keep all my bodging as pristine as possible

Done so far:

Fix Hood mechanism
Leaking fuel tank seal
Light switch replaced
Remove heater assembly from engine bay
New Seat diaphragms
Seat repair
Battery relocation to boot
Make up Battery tray
Secure wiring
Paint Dash
Restore Dash top pad
New Dash clamp bead
Fit original mirror to go with Dash pad
Boot holes
Footwell patch
Wheel well skin, rear right hand side
Fuel gauge fix
Windscreen rubber ends fixed in place
Right hand light wiring
Front wheel arch guards
Door gaps

Still to do:

Fit rear suspension limit straps and bump stops
Redo left hand headlight wiring
Underseal any exposed chassis bits
Front nr plate –more secure mounting
Hood replacement
Wheel refurb
Remove redundant Exhaust strap
Check Engine timing
Check Valve Clearances
General Service
Wheel arch repaint
Sill top repaint
Paint polish and tidy on worst bits

Foot well patch:

Rear driver’s side wheel arch skin looking very rough. Outer sill was replaced and the end capping too but wheel arch skin is rotten.

Can’t replace whole thing as 1. They are not available (I think?) and 2. It would have to be welded to wheel arch and thus require repaint. So just cut out the rotten front section, as the top is better, this is a patch I made:

Welded in and sprayed with Zinc primer. Will weld up remaining gaps then cover in stone chip paint.

Also there was a gap where I believe the front splash guards should go in the arches, so just made up a plastic panel and siliconed that in place, just to keep it all watertight..

Then painted stone chip over the whole area:

The dash pad also looked like it had a bead that clamped it in place. Not sure what this looks like on original cars but on mine I bought some aluminium bead and bent it to fit, will paint black at some point but for now the raw finish will do:

Finally got to drive Smoky last night!! I have to say that this little car is really very impressive. It just feels so right to drive. All the controls are so tactile, the engine makes a lovely little rasp, the gear change is delightful.. Driving my 964 or Clio afterwards just feels totally wrong and alien. Generally goes really well albeit with some noises from the rear suspension that need investigating. May just be the silencer rattling around or touching.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:46 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Impressive stuff Jack, welding looks good
Old 04-03-2014, 08:48 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great progress mate - Alfa looks jaw dropping
Old 04-03-2014, 08:52 AM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Originally Posted by jack.pe
Guys,

The engine at SPA was freaking brilliant.. pulls really well, feels very strong. Thoroughly recommend it.
Next up I have ordered some stiffer H&R bars as on track my Bilstein HDs and H&R Greens feel too soft..

Hi Jack, I got a set of really good condition H&R reds (that are actually red) that I was lookingh to sell now that I've got the Pss10s on mine. Think that might stiffen things up a bit...perhaps..
Old 04-03-2014, 08:57 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

C4 LW at Essen
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2014, 11:24 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys,

Did you change your mind about the seats after doing such a long trip?

BTW my H&R bars have just arrived and will be fitted in a couple of weeks time.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:07 PM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Did you change your mind about the seats after doing such a long trip?

BTW my H&R bars have just arrived and will be fitted in a couple of weeks time.
No, I'm sticking with the Porsche Sports seats.. the Pole Positions induced acute back pain for me, but that is because I have existing issues. Most are fine with them. For me being clamped in one position with no possibility of movement is a no go. It was the shoulder bolsters that were the issue for me. Am looking at possibility of having a race harness that will fit the sports seats for extra support at the track, apparently it is possible.

Getting my H&R's next Sat.
You doing any of the Sprints that Alex Jc4 wrote a thread on? am doing Blyton and Snetterton.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:20 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I'm sticking with the Porsche Sports seats.. the Pole Positions induced acute back pain for me, but that is because I have existing issues. Most are fine with them. For me being clamped in one position with no possibility of movement is a no go. It was the shoulder bolsters that were the issue for me. Am looking at possibility of having a race harness that will fit the sports seats for extra support at the track, apparently it is possible.

Getting my H&R's next Sat.
You doing any of the Sprints that Alex Jc4 wrote a thread on? am doing Blyton and Snetterton.
Ah, OK. I couldn't work out if you still had them in for Spa. Probably a good job you changed them because you would have loved them going round the track but hated them during the road trip part. And therefore put you in a quandary.

Unfortunately, none of the dates for the tracks in striking distance worked for me because I'm booked to do other things. I might try and resurrect the 964 Curborough spring day for later in the year as something extra for us to do.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:22 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Ah, OK. I couldn't work out if you still had them in for Spa. Probably a good job you changed them because you would have loved them going round the track but hated them during the road trip part. And therefore put you in a quandary.

Unfortunately, none of the dates for the tracks in striking distance worked for me because I'm booked to do other things. I might try and resurrect the 964 Curborough spring day for later in the year as something extra for us to do.
Please, please, please

I enjoyed that day Steve, would be good to do it again
Old 04-09-2014, 10:59 PM
panzerfaust
Instructor

Originally Posted by abarthguy
Your 964 just keeps getting better !

My '92 will need similar motor work at some point......

We have similar P-cars and now Alfas !
Here is my '64 Giulia Spider. A cousin to yours.

Got mine in 1977 and drove it on my honeymoon trip. These are fun cars !
nice alfa...lots of 964-alfa owners here? that pic wouldnt happen to be at magnaflows parking lot would it? i used to dyno my suped up 69gtv there.

please someone help me find a nice C2 manual coupe!

Last edited by panzerfaust; 04-09-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:46 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Right.. back to the 964. About time really. I had spent so much time on the Alfa recently that the 964 was being somewhat overlooked. Have a few jobs that need doing:

1. Fit the H&R roll bars
2. Fit the RS carpet kit
3. Fix sunroof
4. Fit a battery cut out switch
5. paint and fit the rear passenger side bumper section -mine has a hole for previous exhaust
6. Strut Brace

I found a second hand brace for £50 at Type 911 so jumped at that and fitted it last weekend. At the same time I picked up the H&R bars.. I decided to only fit the rear seeing as the C4 understeers and on the C4 the H&R front can only be set on the harder setting. Here is a pic of the difference between the two rears..

Have driven the car like this and it seems fine.. the 1st June track sprint at Blyton will be the definite test. If anyone wants an adjustable H&R front bar then let me know..

Also just started prepping the rear passenger side bumper panel kindly donated by Frank of Black Betty fame. I was going to wait till the car got repainted but that will be a while and all in all i've had enough of that crappy empty exhaust hole so will try to paint myself and see how it turns out..

Black Betty's old panel.. before she got the 3.8 and accompanying exhaust.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:55 AM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread needs more pics

Before the stiffer ARB was fitted

More power goddammit!

Quick Reply: Blue C4 - Evolution