Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ERP Spring Plate Q?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 05:59 AM
m3vs911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry for bringing this thread up, but at the moment i am looking at the spring plates option.
i want to see if anyone could share their experience..

my mechanic said my bushes are shot and I am looking at the ERP ones (as the stock ones would cost me an arm!).
questions are..
1) do i need a pair of rubber boots with them?
2) based on the quality of the products, do they wear very quickly ?

PS. i am running power flex bushes on my c2.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:55 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't see why you wouldn't run the rod end boots. It's cheap insurance to prevent premature failure of the joint from road contamination. The monoball at the end is not a very costly part, each joint costs about the same as a pair of rubber boots, but the time and effort (and cost of realignment) if you have to replace the joint is going to be steep.

FK JM Series Rod Ends JM12T
Rod End, JM Series, 3-Piece, Low Carbon Steel, PTFE Lined, Male 3/4 in.-16 RH Thread, 0.750 in. Bore, Each
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/fkb-jm12t
Old 02-01-2016, 11:08 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

I was going to install the rubber boots but my shop recommended against it. They have seen just as many problems associated with using them than without. Dirt can get trapped inside and cause premature deterioration no matter how tight of a seal you think you get. They showed me a couple with and without the boots after years of use and what I saw lead me to believe that they are of no benefit.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:38 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I haven't run them on my RS for nearly 3 years, many, many track days and lots of street driving. All my suspension is ERP. However, I don't drive the car in crappy weather. They are solid and no suspension noise.
I'm with Cobalt here.

I know this is an old post but to the OP question, you can run them either way depending on alignment.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:58 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
The slotted hole to the bottom = small camber range
The slotted hole to the top = large camber range

In my experience, I was only able to get about -1.3 degrees camber evenly on both sides w/ the slotted hole on the bottom. With the slotted hole on the top, I was able to get nearly -3.0 degrees camber.
Cost me an extra alignment to figure this out and update our community, because back in 2013, even Tarett's website contained the wrong info.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:46 PM
m3vs911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for everyone's reply.
so should i go for a used stock plate with unworn bushes, or a new pair of ERP plates?
not sure about camber modification yet but it's always good to have a future option, the only thing i worry is the ERP plates are not as good as the stock ones...!

Quick Reply: ERP Spring Plate Q?