Sponsored by:

Atlas MR-06 Midrise Lift Installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 08:39 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Atlas MR-06 Midrise Lift Installed

Finished setting the lift up this evening. Very pleased with the outcome!

See here for pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1001400...eat=directlink

Please forgive the poor quality photos. The cell phone shots coupled fluorescent overhead lights make the car look terrible.

Here is a link to the lift:

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...e-Midrise-Lift

No affiliation other than a happy customer!

Also, thanks to Marc Shaw for the idea to build "lincoln log" style ramps that can be easily removed once the car is in the air.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:07 AM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if the wife's got me this for Christmas....

Socks & pants it is then...I'm jealous that's going to be so handy for the never ending tinkering on the 64.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:10 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

that is a great idea on the cross boards on the front. I have a board screwed to both boards keeping them from moving apart which gets in the way if i want to get under the front of the car.
You will wonder what took you so long to get one
Old 12-22-2012, 05:24 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

Boy, that looks like the way to go......
How easy was the delivery/set up ?
Old 12-23-2012, 03:30 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

nice lift. seems most of these lifts are designed for typical front end mounted engines. if you look your cg is way aft of the lift. i believe a rear engine car should be loaded with the other way. look in the instruction it tells that. just want you to be safe. also the rear of your car is saggging abit cause of this.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:01 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is excellent. I really do want. Very jealous.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:15 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Fantastic. I would love one of those. Don't think I even have the headroom in my garage to make it worth dreaming about... :-(
Old 12-25-2012, 05:30 PM
lmazzoli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Is there enough clearance in the rear to remove the engine with this lift, or would the lift interfere with the engine and transmission when dropped?
Old 12-25-2012, 10:24 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by lmazzoli
Is there enough clearance in the rear to remove the engine with this lift, or would the lift interfere with the engine and transmission when dropped?
I have a similar lift. There is a rear crossmember on the lift that would interfere with an engine / trans drop.

There are 2 ways around this:

1. Cut off the rear crossmember, weld plates on the sides of the cut piece so that they extend the distance of the remaining pieces of the crossmember still attached to the lift, weld on a top piece over the new plates to form an upsidedown "U", drill 2 holes thru the plates and the remaining section of the square tubing. Bolt the cut portion to the stub pieces of the crossmember. On, and on. and on, forming a rigid member again!

2. Cut off the rear crossmember.

I did Method #2 on day 1 and have had the car up and down hundreds of times and the engine dropped 3 times. However YMMV
Old 12-26-2012, 11:32 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Socks & pants it is then
Ha! I bought the lift back in November and just recently got around to finishing the install. Got the usual socks and button up shirts for Christmas.

How easy was the delivery/set up ?
Once the ramps were built, the set up took less than an hour! I picked the unit up at the Greg Smith store in Austin and hauled it to Houston in the bed of my truck. It did take 4 men to transfer the unit from the truck to the ground though.

nice lift. seems most of these lifts are designed for typical front end mounted engines. if you look your cg is way aft of the lift. i believe a rear engine car should be loaded with the other way. look in the instruction it tells that. just want you to be safe. also the rear of your car is saggging abit cause of this.
Thanks for the heads up. I will look into this in both the manual and next time I put the car in the air. My garage floor has a very slight slope to it which may contribute to what you see in the pictures. The lift is rated for 6000lbs. and the car felt EXTREMELY stable when took the pics but always better safe than sorry!

I plan to use one of the methods outlined by LouZ when the next engine drop comes around...
Old 01-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That all looks great, Kyle!

Marc
Old 04-26-2013, 11:56 PM
greg2431
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really nice work Kyle!

I'm looking to purchase the exact same lift. Would you have dimensions or a cut sheet for the "Lincoln Log" ramp? Doesn't make sense to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks!

Greg

Quick Reply: Atlas MR-06 Midrise Lift Installed