Sponsored by:

Respray

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 11:51 AM
sschultze09
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Respray

I am in the process of picking someone to repaint my car. Is it necessary to remove the front and rear windows? What is the down side to painting the car with the windows in place? Also is there anything else I should be asking these guys. Just starting looking into this after completing some minor rust repairs. I have been quoted $4000 without removing the glass. Everyone I have been talking to has come with high recommendations. Does 4k seem in the ball park?
TIA
Old 12-21-2012, 01:25 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Steve:

What do you want from the re-spray? Your car looks fine in the picture, and you might be surprised at how good the original finish can look with some careful touch-ups, a deep cleaning, polish, and a fresh coat of wax.

You say you have repaired rust elsewhere. The lower corners of the windshield are where some of the first rust blisters appear. There is some risk you will see a fresh blister before you get the first scratch in the new paint.

Personnally, if I were in for $4K, I would go the extra cash to get at least the front glass out and make sure there is no rust behind the rubber. If the windshield is pitted, some new glass is an investment you notice each time you drive.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:45 PM
sschultze09
Racer

Springer3
I started out just needing the front bumper cover, hood and front fenders painted due to serious rock chips. I pulled off the front fenders and found rust between the fenders and the chassis in front of the crawl seal if that makes sense. I have another thread on here showing the rust. The few people I talked to said this metallic blue would be hard to match the rest of the unpainted car. You are right the back half of the car looks really good. Thanks for the tip on the windshield area probably need to check that out too.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Mr.Spacely
Instructor

In my experience, one of the first things a prospective buyer will look at is around the window rubbers, to see if the repaint was done 'right'. By way of comparison, I had a VW Cabrio painted inside and out, after I had already disassembled it. It was a pretty nice job, beautiful finish without runs, etc, including some repairs and shaving here and there. It came to $3,500, which was a wintertime special, so $4K certainly seems in the ballpark, but on a Porsche that would seem like a starting point.

I would think hard about pulling the glass first, so that your money spent will be a better investment down the road.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:38 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Here is a thread that did it and did it right.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...997-993-a.html
Old 12-21-2012, 06:30 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gotta remove the glass to get a good finish.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:49 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

I think due the rust areas around the front window I would no doubt remove the glass there. But no need on the rear window just remove the seal and tape around the window. The seal would cover the area that has been newly painted.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

Only on 993 onwards can you just remove the seal
Defiantly remove the windows. And while you are there fit new rubbers/seals as you'll wish you did it once its all finished.
Can't help with price as I'm unsure on the going rate in the US.
You'll need to remove the side windows to take the satin black trims off. Repaint those aswell while you're there
Old 12-21-2012, 09:45 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lemass Automotive
Only on 993 onwards can you just remove the seal
Defiantly remove the windows. And while you are there fit new rubbers/seals as you'll wish you did it once its all finished.
Can't help with price as I'm unsure on the going rate in the US.
You'll need to remove the side windows to take the satin black trims off. Repaint those aswell while you're there

As Tom and Russ says for a good paint job you need to take the windows out for a good and proper finish. Its not much effort taking the windows out anyway, anyone can do it. It reminds me of taking off and putting on a tyre on a bicycle wheel

Its good to have the windows out so you can check if there is any hidden rust behind the rubbers, as a lot of these cars may have had front screens replaced in its life by some of these heavy handed window fitters:-D Plus, if the window rubbers were pulled back and masked, you could end up with dry edges where paint has not reached or masking marks or lines left behind where the paint has stopped from the masking tape.

If it was me I would want it done properly or don't do it!

Last edited by Nski; 12-21-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:35 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Windows out.
4000 is inexpensive.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:06 PM
PChar
Racer

Seems reasonable. I was quoted $7500 last year, and they would'nt pull anything appart. My car has no bodywork needed.
High cost is the reason i am going with Vinyl wrap, at least for the next 2 years untill I gather enough funds to do it right.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:04 PM
campoj2
Racer

The sunroof seal needs to come out as well -
Old 12-23-2012, 04:58 AM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

Oh and the scuttle to wing seals
Old 12-23-2012, 05:32 AM
avangeline
AutoX

Gotta remove the glass to get a good finish.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Robbie Ravioli
Advanced

personally I would remove the windows, and have the doors, trunk lid and hood removed and individually painted as well. The result will be a much higher quality standard of the paint job, as the tape lines will not be visible. It will bump the cost though. I had mine done this way and are very happy with the results! Pics are on rennlist, do a search for my name.

Quick Reply: Respray