Sponsored by:

inside condensation

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 02:51 PM
tuddy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default inside condensation

Im experience a tremendous amount of condensation building in my rear windscreen. I replaced the door seals and checked the sun roof drains. Any suggestions? Im gonna have the window resealed I think if nothing else.

pics for clicks anyway!

Old 12-14-2012, 03:15 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That's a lot of condensation. Did you make sure after you replaced your window seals that the car was completely dry on the inside ? If it was I would get the window resealed and that will hopefully take care of the problem. Love your second shot
Old 12-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Possibly you've got some other leak that is soaking a carpet you haven't noticed...a wet carpet can generate the kind of condensation you are experiencing.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Is the carpet behind the front seats wet? Check your HVAC drain. I was amazed at how much water can come into the cabin via the HVAC system. See https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ater-vent.html
Old 12-14-2012, 04:16 PM
tuddy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Is the carpet behind the front seats wet? Check your HVAC drain. I was amazed at how much water can come into the cabin via the HVAC system. See https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ater-vent.html
Look at you! Thank you so much! I'm certain this is it, I thought it was the other way around! My carpets behind the seats were wet, I thought it was because of the window. Wham. Ill check this out this weekend!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:23 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let us know how you get on with that Tuddy. Mine's developed the same problem as yours. For some reason it started to happen when the cold and frost started over here.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:27 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Let us know how you get on with that Tuddy. Mine's developed the same problem as yours. For some reason it started to happen when the cold and frost started over here.
mine used to do that , it was the rear screen not fitting properly and the carpets had got damp .
Old 12-14-2012, 04:50 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Pull the rear parcel shelf out x4 screws & take the 1/4 window inner trims off x4 screws and get a mate to give it a real good hose down for a good 10 mins and jump in the back with a light and have a good look around the seals as on the rear screen it runs under the sound deadening pad and it runs down in to the floors and of course check your sunroof drain tubes as with both sides the water needs to be draining out the bottom of the front wings/ fenders....

Check your front screen to as water has a mind of its own and just because the back ends wet it doesn't mean it not coming in from the front
Old 12-14-2012, 05:35 PM
r15suk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
And mine exactly as you described here

It doesn't do it when its raining though only when there is frost on the car.

Simon
Old 12-14-2012, 06:09 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

The trouble is if the carpet&the sound insulation gets wet it stays wet and then when it gets cold with the heaters on in the car that's why you get all the water inside the windows as its got nowhere to go it that cosy cabin...find the leak then dry that baby out!!

Which is almost impossible in the uk....
Old 12-15-2012, 06:39 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fuch
The trouble is if the carpet&the sound insulation gets wet it stays wet and then when it gets cold with the heaters on in the car that's why you get all the water inside the windows as its got nowhere to go it that cosy cabin...find the leak then dry that baby out!!

Which is almost impossible in the uk....
Yes you're right about the sound proofing holding on to water. I threw out the big pieces in the driver and passenger foot wells a while ago because they were soaked (hence why I made cup floor boards to replace them). Footwells have stayed dry since.

I've fixed and found various leaks over the years (most recently having the wind screen aperture repaired) but it looks like I need to look for a new one. One thing I've noticed is that the door seals hold water at the bottom. They're relatively new. They have small holes in them (presumably to allow the seals to compress) and when I press down a the bottom water can spurt out.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM
fuch
Rennlist Member

This is worth checking to as it looks like windscreen leak but runs down on inside of door & if the inner clear plastic " membrain" is not on perfectly water can run in down the inside of the door card and out on to the carpet in the bottom corner of the A post/door & holds water under your front footwells like a friggin sponge

This is a 993 but same prob that the customer thought it was the screen but turned out to be lack of sealant between the door skin & 1/4 window then run inside the door and because membrain had been not put back right the water run in to the footwells and soaked the front of the car

GAP HERE THEN WATER RUNNING DOWN INSIDE
Old 12-15-2012, 12:04 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Well, I've already found my likely water source. It is wet in both rear footwells. Here's one:

I've already pulled a pile of the wet sound proofing:

Checked the sunroof drains and they're running freely. Poked 'em with some nylon tubing for good measure. So, I now need to pull the parcel shelf and trims as Fuch suggested and go round the rear quarter glasses and rear window with a hose to find the source of the leak. I guess it's only small but the water has soaked in over time (the soundproofing back there 3 or 4 years ago was dry).

Then I'll just have to bring forward my plan to rip out the sound proofing and stick a new carpet set in. At least that way some thing positive will come out of the leak.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:11 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ Found exactly that on mine last month, though only on one side. Looks like the quarter glass has 'popped' out of its seal at the back edge. Took me ages to spot that, having done all the drain checks etc. . Annoying after all the re-trim work, though not as annoying as the nesting mice...
Old 12-15-2012, 02:46 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

964,s arnt water tight.
I solved my problem by building a garage.
Doors and windows are the fav issue.

Steve if you want a hand with the glass, let me know.
Either remove em and seal em up, or fit new seals.

Id try remove and seal first.

Quick Reply: inside condensation