loss of power and sputter at 3000 rpm HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 05:13 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Daryl,

"Ticking" noises can be caused by mechanical things such as loose valves, however its also a tell-tale for bad ignition wire connections.

That sound is high-voltage arcing,...
Thanks Steve!!

My fingers are crossed, whatever it is I will sort it out, I love my 964 so much

Last edited by SuperUser; 11-28-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it possible that during the valve adjust that you may have one of the valves too tight?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

When you install your secondary distributor cap, I would double check that the wires are plugged in to the correct ports. I'm wondering if you may have one pair of wires crossed.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:48 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Is it possible that during the valve adjust that you may have one of the valves too tight?
Hi Geoffrey,

I dont think so, I double checked them all with the backside method but I guess anything is possible. Before the adjustment some were a little loose and some were tight, none were off by very much and the tight ones had some lash.

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
When you install your secondary distributor cap, I would double check that the wires are plugged in to the correct ports. I'm wondering if you may have one pair of wires crossed.
Hi Rob,

I will check all the wires and install the spare DME I have in the airport parking garage when I get home.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Wouldn't a bad, or disconnected O2 sensor show theses symptoms?

You said you pulled it. How old is it? Is it fully connected?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:56 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
Wouldn't a bad, or disconnected O2 sensor show theses symptoms?

You said you pulled it. How old is it? Is it fully connected?
The O2 sensor was removed from the engine tin so they could be painted and was reinstalled when the tins were put back in.

Last edited by SuperUser; 11-29-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:51 PM
vasculardoc
Instructor

Air flow meter ? Can give an intermittent fault at a particular air flow volume range (which correlates with a rev range often).

Don't think an O2 sensor does this - mine was disconnected for 4 years before I realised the PO had taken it off and forgotten to put it back on ! :-)
Old 11-30-2012, 05:44 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

The DME helped a bit and I made it home safely. Today I had to take the car in to get emissions and discovered the primary coil was not giving any spark, the car still passed with flying colors. It looks like I will be doing a complete ignition overhall:-)

Thanks again!

Last edited by SuperUser; 12-02-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I just started experiencing this shiz for the first time this morning as I drove to a PCA autocross.

I stopped at a gas station, switched the DME relay, but the problem persists. Sucks.

I'm still going to run it today, hopefully it is intermittent enough to not ruin my day.

Steve's comment regarding the ticking beig arcing wires kinda sounds like a possibility for me.

I planned on pulling the car apart after today's event, so I guess I need to add ignition components to my to-do list.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:09 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Vandit
I just started experiencing this shiz for the first time this morning as I drove to a PCA autocross.

I stopped at a gas station, switched the DME relay, but the problem persists. Sucks.

I'm still going to run it today, hopefully it is intermittent enough to not ruin my day.

Steve's comment regarding the ticking beig arcing wires kinda sounds like a possibility for me.

I planned on pulling the car apart after today's event, so I guess I need to add ignition components to my to-do list.
So I autocrossed 2 sessions today, 8 runs total, lots of WOT and high RPMs, and the car didn't act up at all.

Driving home however, I felt it cut out a few times, but not nearly as bad as it did in the morning.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:43 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

So I autocrossed 2 sessions today, 8 runs total, lots of WOT and high RPMs, and the car didn't act up at all.

Driving home however, I felt it cut out a few times, but not nearly as bad as it did in the morning.
I hope it is a quick and easy fix for you. I ordered the new coils and a few other little things from Pelican this morning, I hope to get the parts all installed before the weekend.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:53 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

double post
Old 12-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

I've been away from the car for a bit, but I just went out to the garage and disconnected the coil lead on the primary distributor and attempted to fire up the car. The car cranks, and sounds like it's trying to start, but never actually fires. It almost started once, stumbled a bit, then died. Any thoughts?

Will a broken dist. belt create the symptom i'm describing as far as it almost starting then dying? I'd assume a broken belt would just not even try to fire at all? Or would what i'm describing happen if the belt broke and it is only firing on 1 cylinder?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Problem found. I hope.

Both distributor caps look like this on the inside.

Close up of the points

White residue on one of the wire points on one of the caps

The distributor belt seems to be intact, but I think it would only be prudent to rebuild the distributor w/ a new belt now that i'm touching on all this.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

The distributor belt seems to be intact, but I think it would only be prudent to rebuild the distributor w/ a new belt now that i'm touching on all this.
JMHO, but that's a good idea.

Those caps & rotors are LONG overdue for replacement and if the wires have been in service for that long, its time to replace them as well.

Quick Reply: loss of power and sputter at 3000 rpm HELP