Sponsored by:

Engine Rebuild... ahhhh

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 07:20 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant

Next I've got a Heigo half cage with harness bar going in. I need to find some good seats (suggestions anyone??). I'll add Schroth harnesses as well. I've also got the stock brake package still so I'm planning on changing the front suspension out for 993 parts and going with the big red brake upgrade. I also need another set of wheels for my track tires. At some point I may change the shocks out for the Moton Club Sports or KWs... any feedback on either??
I can recommend Recaro pole positions. Great for track work and very comfortable for daily use.

Great build!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:12 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow I first looked at the pictures on my phone ....just realize you have a different rear wheel carriers setup, that looks great ! is it a 993 with some adapters...?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Defiant
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kos11-12
Wow I first looked at the pictures on my phone ....just realize you have a different rear wheel carriers setup, that looks great ! is it a 993 with some adapters...?
Sorry about the confusion. That one photo from the underside of a car was not from mine but another one with the same exhaust. I had that noted (albeit in small text compared to the photos) at the top of that post. I've removed the photo so there is no confusion. I've got the same exhaust but I didn't have a great photo of it. The remaining photos are of my engine and car.

I wish I could answer your question regarding the wheel carriers but I'd have to refer you to Jeff.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Defiant
Instructor

Originally Posted by boxsey911
I can recommend Recaro pole positions. Great for track work and very comfortable for daily use.

Great build!
Thank you for the note! I've read favorable things about the Pole Positions. Are they reclinable? I want something that's a fixed back.

Originally Posted by ras62
Lovely, that will keep the GT3's honest. I was looking at a similar engine in an imported RS America racer at my Indy yesterday, also built by Rothsport I think, it sounded absolutely incredible. What noise limits do you have at tracks stateside?
Most of our tracks don't have a real noise limit (yet). Texas World Speedway is starting to impose a 102db limit which won't be a problem for this car but my Red Devil 74 911 car was measured at 108db from 50 ft off track.. oops. I've got to sort that out this winter. I'm not sure if Circuit of the Americas is going to have a limit or not. Fingers crossed it doesn't.

Originally Posted by kos11-12
Brilliant writte up ! Very nice rocket !!
Thanks for sharing info and pictures,

Wish you
lots of fun !!
Thanks! How do you like your KW V3??

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Wow what a brilliant read and engine.
Thanks Frank. Looks like you've got a GREAT build going as well. I enjoyed reading your thread. I can't wait to see how yours comes out. Beautiful car! I've used a photo of your car as a background for my computer more than once .

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
+1

I want that engine in my living room, let alone back of my car!
I'll bet your SC'd car has some really impressive go. I considered that route after reading a little about yours. Also drop dead gorgeous car.. can you tell i'm partial to black 911s?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry about the confusion. That one photo from the underside of a car was not from mine but another one with the same exhaust. I had that noted (albeit in small text compared to the photos) at the top of that post. I've removed the photo so there is no confusion. I've got the same exhaust but I didn't have a great photo of it. The remaining photos are of my engine and car.

I wish I could answer your question regarding the wheel carriers but I'd have to refer you to Jeff.
A couple of questions:

Why did you use a GT3 crank - Was yours damaged or is there another reason, weight perhaps?

I'm assuming you upgraded the oil pump due to your climate and extensive track usage?

Rothsport - spoke at a few times to Jeff. Very helpful, insightful, charming chap. He would definitely be on my list of builders were I US based. You must be thrilled with your heads - I just couldn't justify the additional cost, but was planning on Jeff's solution heads. It may be a reality depending on how my heads get on.

Thank you for the note! I've read favorable things about the Pole Positions. Are they reclinable? I want something that's a fixed back.
They are fixed back buckets. I love them although looking back I very much like the fit and look of SPG Recaros.

Thanks! How do you like your KW V3??
Great piece of kit. Especially since now the new versions have much more accessible damping adjustment *****. Looking back I'm keen to upgrade to Clubsport one day and whilst I'm at it 993RS/ evo hubs (since the suspension fixings are different 993 & 964) - but that's a distant future.

Thanks Frank. Looks like you've got a GREAT build going as well. I enjoyed reading your thread. I can't wait to see how yours comes out. Beautiful car! I've used a photo of your car as a background for my computer more than once .
I'm touched it was your background
Old 11-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Defiant
Instructor

A couple of questions:

Why did you use a GT3 crank - Was yours damaged or is there another reason, weight perhaps?

I'm assuming you upgraded the oil pump due to your climate and extensive track usage?

Rothsport - spoke at a few times to Jeff. Very helpful, insightful, charming chap. He would definitely be on my list of builders were I US based.
Hi Frank,

We were on the fence about the GT3 crank and oil pump. They were both a little on the overkill side but they started to make more sense due to the planned heavy track use (8-10 times/year for this car). The GT3 crank is supposed to be stronger and would therefore allow us to set the rev limiter higher if we wanted to (Mahle pistons are HEAVY). The only reason to set the rev limiter higher would be the ITBs which make more power up top. We've since decided to set the rev limit at a modest 72-7400rpm to improve the longevity of the engine.

The parts we took out of the motor were both in really good condition which helped pay for the new GT3 variants.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:39 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

381 is a big number- you must be ecstatic.

Can't wait to read impressions from the driver's seat!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I might have to take a trip to H-town to ride in this thing.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Frank,

We were on the fence about the GT3 crank and oil pump. They were both a little on the overkill side but they started to make more sense due to the planned heavy track use (8-10 times/year for this car). The GT3 crank is supposed to be stronger and would therefore allow us to set the rev limiter higher if we wanted to (Mahle pistons are HEAVY). The only reason to set the rev limiter higher would be the ITBs which make more power up top. We've since decided to set the rev limit at a modest 72-7400rpm to improve the longevity of the engine.

The parts we took out of the motor were both in really good condition which helped pay for the new GT3 variants.
Yeah we stuck with the standard oil pump and crank in mine due to it probably seeing 4 track days at most a year/ the way in which I use my car.

Great stuff
Old 11-02-2012, 10:49 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

What a fricken awesome car...cars like this confirm for me that I'll never want a newer generation 911. Screw the 997 GT3 when you can make your own monster like this from a 964. This would definitely put a bigger smile on my face. I can't imagine how much fun this car will be to drive.

I have a track day coming up and dream about showing up in a 964 like this...

Thanks for sharing the build details...lots of though and love put into this car.
I'm buying a Lotto ticket this weekend.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:51 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks I understand, it is a great picture you could well see the exhaust design , the car may well be a 993...

The V3 are great You can also buy separately any springs rate, if you wish a different set up, But you may need something more technical due to the number times you will track the car....
Old 11-02-2012, 03:09 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts

Sweet Jesus, what a motor!

May I (pretty please!) be 1st in line if you every decide to sell? :-)
Old 11-03-2012, 07:40 PM
jimmy sav
8th Gear

That is some motor!! Very nice piece of kit.

Any more details on the exhaust? What's the noise regs on it? Just in the process of ordering something but love the design of this but needs to be 100db or below.

Looking forward to hearing how the motor feels when it is in the car.

Ben
Old 11-04-2012, 05:26 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

I'll bet your SC'd car has some really impressive go. I considered that route after reading a little about yours. Also drop dead gorgeous car.. can you tell i'm partial to black 911s?
Kind words but I think you have my car confused with another (maybe ilko?) as mine is not SC'd (at least the 964 isn't). Whilst I've taken my 996t on track a few times it's nowhere near as much fun as the 964.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Defiant
Instructor

A couple of questions:

They are fixed back buckets. I love them although looking back I very much like the fit and look of SPG Recaros.

Great piece of kit. Especially since now the new versions have much more accessible damping adjustment *****. Looking back I'm keen to upgrade to Clubsport one day and whilst I'm at it 993RS/ evo hubs (since the suspension fixings are different 993 & 964) - but that's a distant future.
Do you have a photo of the inside of your car with the SPGs by chance? Yea.. considering the 993 hubs as well before I address my stock brakes. Just another thing on the list

Originally Posted by boxsey911

Great build!
Thanks for the note! I'm now deciding between Pole Positions and the SPG XL. I've got a very tall torso and I may need the extra height for the belt holes.

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
What a fricken awesome car...cars like this confirm for me that I'll never want a newer generation 911. Screw the 997 GT3 when you can make your own monster like this from a 964. This would definitely put a bigger smile on my face. I can't imagine how much fun this car will be to drive.

I have a track day coming up and dream about showing up in a 964 like this...

Thanks for sharing the build details...lots of though and love put into this car.
I'm buying a Lotto ticket this weekend.
Cool! Love to hear folks doing track days especially in the 964 . Post some photos! I've posted a good friend of mine's car on track last weekend at Texas World Speedway. Haas' car is the reason I had to have a 964.

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Sweet Jesus, what a motor!

May I (pretty please!) be 1st in line if you every decide to sell? :-)
Thanks!! Your in line now after two of my best friends. Actually they keep offering to let me store my car in their garage for a night or two. I think they are planning an engine swap

Originally Posted by jimmy sav
That is some motor!! Very nice piece of kit.

Any more details on the exhaust? What's the noise regs on it? Just in the process of ordering something but love the design of this but needs to be 100db or below.

Looking forward to hearing how the motor feels when it is in the car.

Ben
I'm not sure how loud they will be just yet. He said it's pretty aggressive for the street but awesome for the track. I'm pretty sure my neighbors are going to hate me more now. I'll ask Jeff if it'll be 100db or lower and let you know. I LOVE the look of the GT3 exhaust. I had been looking for a good set for a long while before finding these.

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
Kind words but I think you have my car confused with another (maybe ilko?) as mine is not SC'd (at least the 964 isn't). Whilst I've taken my 996t on track a few times it's nowhere near as much fun as the 964.
Sorry for the confusion! Man those 996Ts can be beasts. There is one in our neck of the woods that does over 200MPH in the Texas Mile. INSANE cars. I'm not a fan of turbos on the track though .. thus this build. Sounds like you've got the perfect combination of cars in your stable!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild... ahhhh