Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Third brake light options

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012 | 10:42 AM
ScottR
Racer

Question Third brake light options

What are you using for a third brake light?

Particularly UK peeps as I guess we'd all have retrofits if at all?

I've currently got the hoop / aerofoil / bridge / whatever you want to call it spoiler that sits just over the top of the engine lid. i.e. this one. But I don't like it. Ruins the lines IMHO and looks like a buggy handle.

So thinking about the 993 rear window spoiler, i.e. this one.

But not sure I can be bothered with the fitting. And again whether they clutter the rear up?

Which I guess then means an internal one. But what to go for without it looking like a Halfords special?

Or perhaps none at all? We don't have to have one in the UK do we? But I do want people behind to know I'm stopping.

Come on, show us yours...
Old 11-01-2012 | 11:22 AM
sundog
Race Director

Originally Posted by ScottR
What are you using for a third brake light?

Particularly UK peeps as I guess we'd all have retrofits if at all?

I've currently got the hoop / aerofoil / bridge / whatever you want to call it spoiler that sits just over the top of the engine lid. i.e. this one. But I don't like it. Ruins the lines IMHO and looks like a buggy handle.

So thinking about the 993 rear window spoiler, i.e. this one.

But not sure I can be bothered with the fitting. And again whether they clutter the rear up?

Which I guess then means an internal one. But what to go for without it looking like a Halfords special?

Or perhaps none at all? We don't have to have one in the UK do we? But I do want people behind to know I'm stopping.

Come on, show us yours...
I put on the 993 looking one. I believe it looks very good, and improves rear visibility. However, the black rectangle on the glass remains, and as far as I know, nobody has been able to remove it.
Old 11-01-2012 | 12:19 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

I have considered removing it, but it means a different back glass no? 993 or earlier car?
Old 11-01-2012 | 12:49 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

I put in the 964 euro glass, and the 993 light: works great and I get to see out the rear just like I did in my long gone 69
Old 11-01-2012 | 01:01 PM
ScottR
Racer

So I think the black rectangle is where the US cars had the third brake light from the factory, non?

UK (or possibly all Euro cars?) didn't have any third brake light, so we don't have the black rectangle.
Old 11-01-2012 | 01:32 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

So I think the black rectangle is where the US cars had the third brake light from the factory, non?

UK (or possibly all Euro cars?) didn't have any third brake light, so we don't have the black rectangle.
correct
Old 11-01-2012 | 07:15 PM
ScottR
Racer

Right, I've gone for the rear window 993 spoiler brake light; thanks to an ebay tip-off from freedman

Will probably be a while before I fit it because it needs spraying and taking off my old hoop spoiler will leave holes. So I'll probably tie in with when I get other bits of body work sorted / the whole car re-sprayed!

Cheers
Old 11-01-2012 | 07:41 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

I've often thought of fitting something cheap and cheerful to the parcel shelf or at the bottom of the window:

Something like this?

The idea being that it gives an extra level of prevention about being rear ended, is unobtrusive to the rear view and easily reversible. Anyone done this?
Old 11-05-2012 | 10:20 AM
bassie81
Racer

You can easily fit a $ 10 red LED strip to the window rubber.

You can fit the strip on the inside at the top (on the backside of the window rubber) and run the wire behind the rubber down to the connector which is under the rear parcel shelf.

30min work max

Last edited by bassie81; 11-05-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: edit typo's
Old 11-05-2012 | 12:16 PM
PaulW_964
Pro

Right, I've gone for the rear window 993 spoiler brake light; thanks to an ebay tip-off from freedman

Will probably be a while before I fit it because it needs spraying and taking off my old hoop spoiler will leave holes. So I'll probably tie in with when I get other bits of body work sorted / the whole car re-sprayed!

Cheers
Good work Scott, I saw Gary's post too, thought "that's a good price must place a bid", but never did... you snooze, you lose!!

Something I want to do though, improves the rear roof line I reckon + good to have that extra brake light when numpties are on the road.
Old 11-05-2012 | 01:56 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

I have one of the 993 type ready to be fitted what`s involved with the wiring do you need to drill a hole to drop the wire down and then run it to the rear lights or is there a connector behind rear shelf as mentioned ?
Old 11-05-2012 | 06:59 PM
ScottR
Racer

Originally Posted by boxsey911
I've often thought of fitting something cheap and cheerful to the parcel shelf or at the bottom of the window:

Something like this?

The idea being that it gives an extra level of prevention about being rear ended, is unobtrusive to the rear view and easily reversible. Anyone done this?
Originally Posted by bassie81
You can easily fit a $ 10 red LED strip to the window rubber.

You can fit the strip on the inside at the top (on the backside of the window rubber) and run the wire behind the rubber down to the connector which is under the rear parcel shelf.

30min work max
Both sounds like good cheap simple solutions. I've just been worried about them looking like bodge jobs. I guess if you can get it to look fitted then job done. But it's a shame when you see cars with the stick on look, especially when they start coming unstuck.

I guess now I've bought the 993 spoiler, I'll press ahead with that. But it would be good to see if anyone does have a budget after market solution installed that looks good.
Old 11-05-2012 | 07:03 PM
ScottR
Racer

Originally Posted by PaulW_964
Good work Scott, I saw Gary's post too, thought "that's a good price must place a bid", but never did... you snooze, you lose!!

Something I want to do though, improves the rear roof line I reckon + good to have that extra brake light when numpties are on the road.
I'm glad I bagged it quickly then

Yeah, exactly. Modern drivers expect to see a 3rd brake light these days I think. I have got one already, as said in the opener, but it's the hoop spoiler, which I'm not keen on. I think they're better suited for cabs because they can't do anything on the window area.
Old 11-05-2012 | 07:06 PM
ScottR
Racer

Originally Posted by GazC2
I have one of the 993 type ready to be fitted what`s involved with the wiring do you need to drill a hole to drop the wire down and then run it to the rear lights or is there a connector behind rear shelf as mentioned ?
I won't get around to doing mine for a while but I found these as part of my research; looks like they might help:

Porsche Tech Bulletin - Service Installation of Roof Mounted Third Brake Light

DIY – 3rd Brake Light Spoiler fitting (long)

Let us know how you get on.
Old 11-05-2012 | 11:01 PM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

I asked my mechanic to rewire the rear foglights with the brake lights. Now, four lights lite up when I brake, with the rear foglights at least 50% brighter than the conventional brake lights.

Last edited by GT9111; 11-05-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Third brake light options