Sponsored by:

Third brake light options

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 05:32 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyB
That is very neat. I'd like that sort of solution but I don't trust myself to not **** up the pulling the interior around and the wiring

ETA, I take it you don't find an issue with it lighting the back of the interior of the car up red when you brake? That would be distracting!
The good part is.... There is hardly any messin around.

all you have to do is remove the rear parcel shelf (4 screws) and find the connector which is taped on top. You stick the led strip to the rear of the rubber, run the wire under the rubber down to the connector. Then find a good way to connect to the right wires (which info you can find somewhere on this great forum)

In the dark you do see some red shine on the undersida of the window, but that does not distract.

Thanks for the compliments guys
Old 11-08-2012, 06:31 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bassie81
The good part is.... There is hardly any messin around.

all you have to do is remove the rear parcel shelf (4 screws) and find the connector which is taped on top. You stick the led strip to the rear of the rubber, run the wire under the rubber down to the connector. Then find a good way to connect to the right wires (which info you can find somewhere on this great forum)

In the dark you do see some red shine on the undersida of the window, but that does not distract.

Thanks for the compliments guys
So, you're saying that the connector for the 3rd brake light is there already and therefore there is no need to run wires to a rear light. Brilliant, that's great info!

I think your solution looks great too.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:52 AM
ScottR
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StanUK951
Can I have 2nd dibs on the roof spoiler if PaulW goes for the other option? I'm guessing you bought the red one recently being sold by Paragon on eBay? I meant to bid but forgot! My car is red so was perfect for me!
Of course. If I decide not to keep it I'll come back to this thread. **

It wasn't the red one; it was a black one, also on ebay sold by a 911UK user. I haven't actually picked it up yet; I get it next week.

I've not actually seen one in the flesh on a car but I've always liked them over the buggy handle spoiler I've currently got.

But now this LED strip has caught my eye! Decisions decisions!

** Warning: it could be some time! It needs spraying to match my car; the old spoiler will leave holes in the deck lid so that will need rectifying; and my car needs some bodywork attention, so it makes sense to combine the lot; which might be a while before I make a decision! Especially if I spend my hard earned on lowering the car first
Old 11-09-2012, 04:56 AM
ScottR
Racer

Originally Posted by boxsey911
So, you're saying that the connector for the 3rd brake light is there already and therefore there is no need to run wires to a rear light. Brilliant, that's great info!

I think your solution looks great too.
Does anyone know if that's the case on UK cars?

US cars were fitted with a 3rd brake light weren't they so you'd expect the connector to be there?

Whereas UK cars weren't, so quite possibly there's no connector there?
Old 11-09-2012, 05:41 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottR
Does anyone know if that's the case on UK cars?

US cars were fitted with a 3rd brake light weren't they so you'd expect the connector to be there?

Whereas UK cars weren't, so quite possibly there's no connector there?
I don't know if it's there or not and will have a look at some point (don't know when yet). However, my experience is that the wiring loom has a lot of stuff there ready to plug in e.g. the plugs for the OBC are behind the dash, even if the car didn't come with an OBC.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:22 AM
BillyB
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

The instructions from Porsche for fitting the OEM 3rd brake light were linked to above and suggest that you need to solder the new wires with the existing brake light wires in to a new connector (part number 944 612 546 00)
Old 11-09-2012, 07:33 AM
max3.2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok sorry for being a bit OT but I'm trying to remove ET and build something working for a cab.
Is there a secret way to get to the bolts holding him down? Or do I really have to take the engine lid off?
Old 11-09-2012, 07:35 AM
ScottR
Racer

As I've already got the aerofoil spoiler fitted mine has already been connected, so not sure what was there / what needed to be added. But hopefully I can just take the wire from that spoiler and route it to the roof spoiler when the time comes.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottR
Was thinking about this more and then had a feeling that in the UK, fog lights are mandatory. So had a check and from what I find online a rear fog light is mandatory on vehicles from 1 April 1980.

So unless anyone knows better, it doesn't sound like converting the fog lights to brake lights is a viable street legal option on the UK.
There is a thread here describing how to get the fogs to light up and keep your fog light functionality. I think it was called "the 5 brake light mod".

If the MOT checks the light yearly you just have to undo one connector (which I put in there) and the regular functionality is restored. Then back home plug it back in and voila. Takes 5 mins to change.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:25 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Another one at a good price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-PO...item2325f70d34
Old 12-07-2012, 08:39 AM
PaulW_964
Pro

Originally Posted by freedman
Nice one Gary, I'm tempted and might have to call up and see how bad the graze on the lens is
Old 01-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bought the window spoiler/light and I believe the brake light connector will be under the rear parcel shelf. Also ordered the 30cm 15 x LED strip for 99p off eBay. Worth a try first at that price
Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

has anyone fitted one of the led strip lights to the engine lid spoiler?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 PM
RayB_911
Instructor

I am thinking of trying to fit a LED strip built into edge of rear spoiler. I called about used one, but did not close deal. I don't want to use mine for it, but a donor one would be worth it. I would like to use a Dremel to recess the LED once I find a strip that will work. I just haven't moved forward passed the thinking.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:24 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by g60pops
has anyone fitted one of the led strip lights to the engine lid spoiler?
I tried, and it is a lot of messing around to fit the wire in a way that it does not get stuck in the moving parts. After messin around for a while i discovered the spot behind the window, which i preferred.

The wiring diagram shows the wire under the parcel shelf, so i gues all cars have one...

Quick Reply: Third brake light options