Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by kos11-12
Hi Guys thanks for your replies !!

the AC is a must where we live, maybe one day someone would come up with a light electric upgrade that could be fitted in the front trunk, the car is used as road and track...I am just trying to do the obvious things and keep a minimum of comfort,

I think the sunroof and the front hood would be a priority, those are big weight savings,

Bill
thanks for the list that's very interesting , I didn't thought the RS upright made such a difference ...do you mean both or per conner ? I saw some pictures of you impact beams drilled did that made any difference ?

Captain,
agreed the front/back ratio is important and any little weights will add up and make a big saving
the uprights are per side

as to the bumper beams, a buddy saved all of the plugs from when he drilled his and we weighed them it came to a couple of lbs.

the important places to lose chassis weight are;
1st) wheels/rotors
2nd) wheel carriers
3rd) ends of the car
4th) top of the car

engine speed rotating and reciprocating parts are in there too but I don't know where to place them, clutch, pistons, rods, valves, etc.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:27 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Ok thanks, I will leave the beams along...well I may do the back one if the rear bumper will have to come off for a reason, as anything saved from the rear end is good.

I have done all wheels & front rotors

Next on my list is deleting the sunroof (not easy & cheap I suppose), FRP front hood, FRP rear hood and some of the interior ,
I may replace some of the sound deadening by a lightweight one ...

A rods, pistons, crank, clutch/ flywheel balance ( tomthe right factor) is a must when doing a rebuild ...

Quick Reply: Weight saving questions...?