Sponsored by:

Calipers: Rebuild or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 07:00 PM
RacinToday
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calipers: Rebuild or replace?

It seems I have a bad front caliper. It is not opening all the way and is frying rotors at alarming rate.

I can get my current rotors rebuilt for about $500. Looks like I can find rebuilt pair for about the same price.

I do not think I can DIY a rebuild. I do think I can do a straight up replacement DIY.

If I opt for new rebuilts, any suggests of where to buy them?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:28 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Are you sure you don't have the plate lift problem with corrosion getting behind the metal plates that are fixed with an Allen bolt at the edge of the pad?? Cheap fix if so...
Old 10-23-2012, 08:48 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

A caliper rebuild is actually a 3 on a 1 to 10 scale - in my opinion. I have done both front and rear caliper rebuilds on my '91 C2. Pelican sells complete rebuild kits and there are illustrated DIYs on this forum and over at Pelican. There really is not much too it. Brakes are surprisingly simple

If you think you can replace the caliper, you can do the rebuild. There are only three parts:
- Piston
- Sealing ring
- Cover

Good luck
Old 10-24-2012, 07:33 AM
ZG862
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd second that; the only bit that is tricky about stripping down a caliper is getting corroded button screws out. They're installed with threadlock, but heat, a dremel and determination will defeat them. Don't try to remove the dust seals on the smaller pistons on the fronts until the plates are off - you'll just distort and rip them. Ask me how I know.

Z
Old 10-24-2012, 07:42 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cjoenck
A caliper rebuild is actually a 3 on a 1 to 10 scale - in my opinion. I have done both front and rear caliper rebuilds on my '91 C2. Pelican sells complete rebuild kits and there are illustrated DIYs on this forum and over at Pelican. There really is not much too it. Brakes are surprisingly simple

If you think you can replace the caliper, you can do the rebuild. There are only three parts:
- Piston
- Sealing ring
- Cover

Good luck
Pelican dont have 964 rebuild kits at present (or 994T)

At least according to their website
Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 AM
ZG862
Racer

Just picked some up minutes ago from Type911. You should be able to get them from Porsche without difficulty too. Buy the complete kit as it is barely more than a dust cover alone.

Z
Old 10-24-2012, 01:59 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just file the pads a bit, 2-4mm. The issue probably is lifted spring plates due to corrosion underneath; seems a waste to get new calipers if so.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:26 PM
RacinToday
Instructor

Will check the spring plates ASAP. Geez, that would be great if that is the problem.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:41 AM
ZG862
Racer

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
Just file the pads a bit, 2-4mm. The issue probably is lifted spring plates due to corrosion underneath; seems a waste to get new calipers if so.
I'd really advise against this. If corrosion has lifted the spring plates, its not going to get better on its own. The longer you leave it, the harder it will be to persuade the button screws to rotate and eventually you will risk trashing the calipers.

Z
Old 10-25-2012, 05:16 AM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ZG862
I'd really advise against this. If corrosion has lifted the spring plates, its not going to get better on its own. The longer you leave it, the harder it will be to persuade the button screws to rotate and eventually you will risk trashing the calipers.

Z
+1

Do the right thing, get the calipers off, get the slide plates off, remove corrosion, reseal and install new plates. Not difficult as you already know that the button screws will be . However get some heat into them and use a top notch hex wrench to snap them loose!
Old 10-25-2012, 12:15 PM
ZG862
Racer

If anyone needs a visual reminder about why they ought to get those plates off and fix the problem, here's a view of my front calipers, just received back from blasting back to bare metal. The bit that looks like the dark side of the moon was originally smooth and in flush contact with its plate. (All suggestions about how best to deal with this gratefully received.)

You have been warned!!
Z
Old 10-25-2012, 06:13 PM
RacinToday
Instructor

I have been looking through Type911 site for rebuild kits.
First, great site.
Second, are our stock brakes Brembo calipers? If so, did not realize that (I have had my car for four years but not familiar with the menutia, near menutia or even well-duh stuff). If not, the Type911 site only has kits for Brembo calipers.
Third, I have '91 C2. Any idea what size I would need (28 mm or 30 mm)?
Fourth, I assume I should probably order button head screws too.
Hope these are not moronic Qs.
And, Z, yikes on the caliper in photo!
Old 10-26-2012, 04:52 AM
ZG862
Racer

'91 C2 is likely to have the "twin pot" rear calipers, 44mm
Fronts have 2 different sizes, 36mm and 40mm. There are variations so it mat be wise to check first. Posting a pic of your calipers may be enough for the experts here.

To be honest, your local screws & fixings supplier should be able to do you M5 button screws. I think the later ones use Torx heads to help avoid the removal problem in the future. 16 allen heads cost me around 3 of your dollar units - £2 in the mother currency.

Yes, they're Brembo and yes yikes. I've been recommended to put high temperature sealant behind the plates when I re-install, and this should stop anymore salty water getting in there. I'm hoping the re-enamelling will smooth the surface a little too.

Z
Old 10-26-2012, 11:23 AM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

The rear calipers could be 2 or 4 pot calipers. I have a '91 (early in the production run) and it had the 2 pot calipers. Some later production '91 apparently have the newer design. Now there is a worthwhile upgrade.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:55 AM
ZG862
Racer

Originally Posted by cjoenck
Now there is a worthwhile upgrade.
I have a car 1st registered in 93 but made in 92 with teardrops and the later cup wheels but 2 pot calipers. Go figure as they say.
I was under the impression that the upgrade didn't give discernible improvement in braking but delays the onset of fade. Given that you also have to replace the proportioner, I was going to delay this upgrade...
Z

Quick Reply: Calipers: Rebuild or replace?