Sponsored by:

91 964 C2 Coupe MT

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:36 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by swesna
OK...I may be crazy...but I am going to not have the PPI done on the car.
Not crazy, but it may turn out to be a terrible decision. The first rule of buying an old car is a PPI. I cannot think of a more foolish decision, but you're a grown person. You may learn a hard and costly lesson, but that's your call.

Good luck.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:43 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what you think is the worst case scenario and what is the cost related to it?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:20 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Could be a bad engine that needs a complete rebuild. Could cost you easily $10K or even way more.

I cannot see why you wouldn't spend a few hundred on a PPI. It's smart business, and this is a business decision.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Top end rebuild for starters. Easily discovered by a leak test.

I will say this in your defense, 14.5K asking price does leave you room for repairs.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:29 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ja78911sc
Top end rebuild for starters. Easily discovered by a leak test.

I will say this in your defense, 14.5K asking price does leave you room for repairs.
i know the PPI is no doubt could/should uncover issues...i might still get it done.

they have my deposit and i told them i dont need the ppi...the reason why is i am no doubt thinking the car will need some work.

i guess i am going to have no know what work it need either before or after i buy the car. therefore, it makes sense to get it done prior.

i will talk to the owner tomorrow...see if they can drop the car off to someone besides the person that has been servicing it since 2005...just to get an objective opinion.

this car needs work no doubt...that is why the price was decent and does give some room for repairs.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Could be a bad engine that needs a complete rebuild. Could cost you easily $10K or even way more.

I cannot see why you wouldn't spend a few hundred on a PPI. It's smart business, and this is a business decision.
+1
It will be the best $300-$800 you will ever spend ...
Old 10-03-2012, 11:35 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chsu74
The second shop is CIM motorsports. 845 928 6683. he located at 41 Smith Clove Rd, NY 10917

Irek(Rick) is the owner and his wife Margaret is the office manager. He is a big fan of 964s.
I will give this shop a call tomorrow morning.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 10-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

There's so much more to a PPI than engine health. These cars have so many components and functions that can add up to a small fortune if they are not in good running order.

Check out this PPI walkthrough on a 964
Old 10-03-2012, 11:51 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vandit
There's so much more to a PPI than engine health. These cars have so many components and functions that can add up to a small fortune if they are not in good running order.

Check out this PPI walkthrough on a 964
yes, i googled porsche 964 ppi and got that earlier today.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

This
Old 10-04-2012, 04:25 AM
dkcaims
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind that my car came with $48,000 of receipts prior to my ownership last year, but still needed 12k in additional repairs to bring it to peak mechanical condition...

... and that 12k did not include any engine work.

For goodness sake, get the PPI

Another tip... take it to a body shop who has extensive experience repairing/restoring 911's. A local shop near me checked out my car prior to purchase and could easily identify any prior collision or paint work.
No charge in my case and no issues were found.
I was also looking to buy a 1 owner Mercedes that appeared to be in mint condition, drove beautifully. 10 minutes at an exclusively Merc body shop and the owner discovered welds where they should not be and a few other issues. No charge
I passed on the car, I don't want a previously wrecked car even if all the repairs were done right.

I looked at the ebay ad and the blew up the vin sticker photo. It does not look right to me. It looks like a sticker over the original tag.
Could be nothing, but I checked mine and the fonts/letters/numbers/spacing look correct, but mine does not have that raised edge the arrows are pointing at. Mine is a 90, maybe the vin tag on a 91 is a bit different.

Just trying to look out for ya !

Last edited by dkcaims; 10-04-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 AM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dkcaims
Keep in mind that my car came with $48,000 of receipts prior to my ownership last year, but still needed 12k in additional repairs to bring it to peak mechanical condition...

... and that 12k did not include any engine work.

For goodness sake, get the PPI

Another tip... take it to a body shop who has extensive experience repairing/restoring 911's. A local shop near me checked out my car prior to purchase and could easily identify any prior collision or paint work.
No charge in my case and no issues were found.
I was also looking to buy a 1 owner Mercedes that appeared to be in mint condition, drove beautifully. 10 minutes at an exclusively Merc body shop and the owner discovered welds where they should not be and a few other issues. No charge
I passed on the car, I don't want a previously wrecked car even if all the repairs were done right.

I looked at the ebay ad and the blew up the vin sticker photo. It does not look right to me. It looks like a sticker over the original tag.
Could be nothing, but I checked mine and the fonts/letters/numbers/spacing look correct, but mine does not have that raised edge the arrows are pointing at. Mine is a 90, maybe the vin tag on a 91 is a bit different.

Thanks...does anyone know else know if that looks odd compared to a 91?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:40 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by dkcaims
...I looked at the ebay ad and the blew up the vin sticker photo. It does not look right to me. It looks like a sticker over the original tag.

Good catch dkcaims!
Mine is like yours (and also a '90) and doesn't have the raised edge.

The PPI video is great also. Reading a list of items to check is one thing, watching the video and listening to the details as they walk about the car is super helpful.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:51 AM
dkcaims
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a pic of my VIN tag for comparison...
Old 10-04-2012, 01:09 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

yeah...i agree on the ppi video. i am getting the ppi but will be doing it at rennwerke porsche. based on internet forums they are a very respected shop therefore i am hoping for an honest evaluation of the car from them.

not sure whats up with the sticker...hopefully someone with a 91 or above chimes in.

Quick Reply: 91 964 C2 Coupe MT