Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C2 vs C4

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 07:59 PM
aircooledbug
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

AWD does not turn a C4 into a Landrover when it snows. And if you need the extra security of it when the roads are damp or wet then maybe a bit of driver training might be money well spent.

Nothing against the C4 at all. Can actually see the 'comfort' factor given the reputation old 911s have.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:04 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by antgtv
AWD does not turn a C4 into a Landrover when it snows.
Of course it doesn't have the clearance of a tall 4x4, but the AWD system in the 964 is quite superb on the white stuff, even on summer tyres. Great fun last winter.

And if you need the extra security of it when the roads are damp or wet then maybe a bit of driver training might be money well spent.
Clearly you are more of a man than the average C4 driver. Kudos to you.

Nothing against the C4 at all. Can actually see the 'comfort' factor given the reputation old 911s have.
And a quick pat of the head to follow...poor little C4 drivers.

All in of course.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:37 AM
BillyB
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Joking aside, it does seem as though 4WD does reduce some of the unique characteristics of older 911's. The "light-feeling" front end is one of the classic 911 handling traits.

But perhaps the same could be said for crashing through hedges backwards

[Let it be noted I have only driven a 4WD 911 once and that was a 964 Celebration]
Old 09-20-2012, 07:06 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

The 964 C4 is certainly very different to its forebears, but then so is the C2. Driving a friend's 3.2 is a very different proposition to my C4 and enjoyable for entirely different reasons. Better? All subjective on where, when and why they are being driven. Personally, if I wanted a car with more steering 'feel' than my C4, I would buy another 944 Turbo; sweet to steer through the twistys. In fact, I still want to own one again at some point. Thing is, I didn't buy my C4 or any of my previous cars because they were the fastest, best handling or perceived by 'them' to be the best, but because I felt each one to be the best for me.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:20 AM
BillyB
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree about the 944T - that was my previous car too
Old 09-20-2012, 08:20 AM
PaulW_964
Pro

Originally Posted by meek
Thing is, I didn't buy my C4 or any of my previous cars because they were the fastest, best handling or perceived by 'them' to be the best, but because I felt each one to be the best for me.
Well said that man
Old 09-20-2012, 08:44 AM
aircooledbug
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by meek
Clearly you are more of a man than the average C4 driver. Kudos to you. And a quick pat of the head to follow...poor little C4 drivers.
All in of course.
No, just an below average C2 driver

Nothing against the C4 at all and don't really have that much of a preference biased towards the C2. A little because I prefer RWD but that's it. I just think it is about power delivery and handling differences, not one car being more useable.

I don't think of high performance cars that drove the trend towards AWD as being safer. I'm sure just as many Quattros and Integrales have ended up in hedges.

Patting wasn't intentional. I would happily have a C4.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:26 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

I'm sure just as many Quattros and Integrales have ended up in hedges.
That makes a great question. I will have to look it up on howmanyleft.co.uk . I wonder if AWD owners are over confident and stuff more cars as a result?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:08 AM
youngres
7th Gear

I don't actually think it matters either way. I was keen to buy a 964 but was not bothered either way if it were a C2 or C4. I eventually bought a C4 because it was the colour I wanted and the mileage and history was what I was after and it had air-con that worked. Driving the C4 is lovely and I like the reassurance of knowing it is 4WD. I don't drive the door handles off the car and I'm also sure I'd like a C2 just as much. So for me, I don't think its a big issue unless you really push the car. Buy either and enjoy.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:49 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AWD does not turn a C4 into a Landrover when it snows. And if you need the extra security of it when the roads are damp or wet then maybe a bit of driver training might be money well spent.
You sound like you've never had the opportunity to thrash an AWD car in loose conditions. In the wet or in the snow the C4 will be demonstrably faster (and safer) than the C2. I learned to drive in Michigan, have driven in 30 winters, and, since 1998, have *always* had at least one AWD car.

Driving on real roads in the real world the expanded operating envelope of the C4 can be a very real advantage. Not for everyone, perhaps, and probably not in keeping with a traditionalist's/purist's view of how a 911 'should' handle, but it is a Porsche- designed to kick *** and take names. The C4 can do that under more operating conditions than a C2 can.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyB
Joking aside, it does seem as though 4WD does reduce some of the unique characteristics of older 911's. The "light-feeling" front end is one of the classic 911 handling traits.

But perhaps the same could be said for crashing through hedges backwards

[Let it be noted I have only driven a 4WD 911 once and that was a 964 Celebration]
I don't have experience w/ hedges, but plenty of experience w/ orange pylons.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:15 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I once used my C4 to pull my wife out of a snow drift. Her car, that is.
Screwed in the tow hook and connected a tow strap
Just be sure to use good winter tires.
Be safe.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:48 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is a write-up that I picked up along the way - wish I'd saved the attribution.

Porsche 911 Carrera 964 series 2 or 4 wheel drive - comparison?

The Porsche 964 Carrera was the first real production 911 to be offered with 4 wheel drive. The transmission dates back to 1982 when Porsche made 4 wheel drive 'rally raid' cars for events like the Paris Dakar.

Typical of Porsche they continued development of the system with the 959 supercar of 1984 and finally offered 4 wheel drive on the production 964 Carrera 4 coupe for 1989.

I have driven 100's of both 964 C2 and C4 and often have been able to drive them 'back to back' on the road.

What I notice is this; Driven normally on the road its hard to tell the difference between a C2 and C4, coming out of tight bends you can feel the steering on the C4 weight up as some torque is sent to the front axle, plus if you compare between cars the brakes have a different feel (the C4 runs a high pressure system). For most drivers, for ordinary driving I bet few could tell a C2 from a C4.

It gets more interesting when you push on a bit. The C2 has a slightly more agile feel to the steering, it seems a little more sensitive and initial turn in to a corner is sharper. The C4 has by comparison slightly less sensitivity (due no doubt to the extra weight in the front) and as the speed increases so you notice that the C4 picks up a little more 'push or understeer' at the initial turn in.

With the C4 this 'push' will continue through the corner but does not get significantly worse. It feels very secure. Ultimately its a car that the less expert driver might find easier to handle at very high speeds.

The C2 meanwhile turns in more precisely and can be balanced on the throttle through the corner. Its nice. And ultimately, on a dry track is quicker.

But wet conditions massively favour the C4 - be a little patient about turning it into a corner and then get on the gas and the car feels so stable, much less of a balancing act than a C2. Easier to drive in total.

Although the C4 carries more weight it isn't noticeable in pure acceleration, top speed or economy terms.

To sum up I think that for most drivers, wanting a good Porsche for sensible road use, or occasional track use - take either car. Take the best 964 you can find and it will be a pleasure. If your thing is serious track days, or light competition use its the C2 you need. If you are using throughout the winter, the C4 will feel more secure in the worst conditions.

Maintenance and prices. Some say the C4 costs significantly more to service than a C2 - but I don't think that tells the whole story. Sure 4 electric windows have more potential for going wrong than 2 - but they don't go wrong often.

In all the time I have been selling 964 I couldn't honestly say that the C4's have caused any more trouble or expense than the C2's. The C2 and C4 share most running gear, so brakes, tyres, motor service should be the same.

The C4 transmission does not have any reputation for weakness, there is nothing to worry about. Its only the transmission and the high pressure brake system that's different and routine maintenance is much the same. If you do have a problem on a C4 transmission, its more likely to be in a sensor or hydraulic system and that's when the owner of a C4 will need a shop with a 'Bosche hammer' diagnostic tool. That's it.

Here in the UK with mild winters there is no real difference between the values of 964 C2 or C4. Tiptronic is only available on C2 and doesn't command any higher price. Prices are now more influenced by condition. For most of us, buy the best 964 that you can find irrespective of 2 or 4 wheel drive. My Porsche 964 buyers guide will help.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:55 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
coming out of tight bends you can feel the steering on the C4 weight up as some torque is sent to the front axle
agree with all except the above statement.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:14 PM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That was written by Adrian Crawford here http://www.performance2and4.co.uk/964di_1_n.htm
What is doesn't mention is the effect of PDAS and what happens when diff locks are operated, but that's another story.

Quick Reply: C2 vs C4