Sponsored by:

How to remove crankshaft seal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:42 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts
Default How to remove crankshaft seal?

Anybody have any tips on how to remove the crankshaft seal. Pictured below. Its the one behind the crankshaft pulley. Its one of those "while you are in there items" Mine seems a bit stubborn and perhaps someone has some advise on the right way to remove these things.
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2012, 11:04 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Seal puller. You hook it under the crank seal surface (carefully!) and lever it out.

2. Drill-n-screw. You drill some small holes in the flat surface and thread in some self-tapping screws, then use vice-grips or pliers to pull on the screws.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:00 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
Seal puller. You hook it under the crank seal surface (carefully!) and lever it out.
Thats the right way to do this to prevent collateral damage.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:21 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

You mean this

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...entifier=48199

Or this

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-56750-Seal-Puller/dp/B0002SRCKG http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-56750-Seal-Puller/dp/B0002SRCKG
Old 09-08-2012, 03:06 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Thats the right way to do this to prevent collateral damage.
How does this work when there is something in the way like crankshaft in this case? I can't ever seem to get a good angle of attack, where should the fulcrum be? I'm sure its just a question of technique.

A suggestion if you use a drill (which i did on my rms recently) is to put a small socket or similar tube over the end of the drill bit and arrange so the drill bit protrudes less than the depth of the seal this allows you to push without damaging whatever is behind the seal when you go through.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:02 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Ricardo,

Either one does the job.

Alex,

Yessir,..it IS a matter of technique,...

In situations like these, oftentimes one attacks the seal from two different points, 180 degrees apart to pry it out a step at a time.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:10 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Thanks Steve, once I figure this out I will document the proper technique. I should be able to get one of these at my local generic auto parts store.

This tool is a bit diffferent but also could work well I think:

Old 09-08-2012, 04:24 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

,I saw those tools, they do look better at giving you a safe angle of attack than the T type regular seal puller.

One thing though, unlike the video, all the seals I've done (5 on the 964 so far) have required huge force to remove, and that design gives less leverage that the old style T puller.

As Steve says you want to tease it out in little steps.

Edit:This also looks promising, basically a two leg puller with slim hooks, but more expensive http://www.drapertoolbox.co.uk/drape...al-2196-120438

Edit 2: looks like a slide hammer makes the drill and screw technique a bit easier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjCU...e_gdata_player

Last edited by alexjc4; 09-08-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:51 AM
RL Technical Advisor

The key aspect of this operation is not touching the aluminum sealing surface of the case, nor touching the crank with the tool.

Regardless of which tool you use, that's the "Prime Directive". This is one of those things where experience REALLY helps and if one needs assistance from someone who has that, I would not hesitate to ask.

Remember, the consequences of any slight damage will do more than ruin your day.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-08-2012, 04:56 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Thank you to everyone. I just removed my crankshaft seal using the following process:

1)Sprayed PB blaster around the perimeter of the seal (let it soak for about an hour when I went to pick up the seal puller)

2)Bought the Lisle 56750 seal puller at my local auto parts store. I carefully use the smaller end as shown below. The smooth part of the tool rests on top of the crankshaft and I simply pried it off. The fulcrum is the right side of the seal. Photo below. It came out very easily with minimal force and no damage to anything.

3)After cleaning all the bearing surfaces, I re-lubed the new seal with a light coat of oil and then tapped it in using a small piece of PVC pipe to tap it back in with even pressure.
Attached Images  

Last edited by RicardoD; 09-08-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:37 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well done! Definitely one of those situations where the right tool makes all the difference.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:01 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoD
Thanks Steve, once I figure this out I will document the proper technique. I should be able to get one of these at my local generic auto parts store.

This tool is a bit diffferent but also could work well I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtsGU2nLrJg
My experience is this tool (Lisle "shaft style" seal puller) does not work on the 944 RMS, it's too small to allow leverage needed to pull the seal. I was successful with the classic "hawk bill" puller shown in post #11. I would not recommended buying this tool for this job.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:17 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've used the self tapper method many times in the past until several years back I ballsed up a camshaft. I got the seal out just fine, but then noticed the thread of the self tapper had scored the sealing face of the cam - instant scrap It was a very narrow seal. I only ever use a lever now.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:02 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoD
Thank you to everyone. I just removed my crankshaft seal using the following process:

1)Sprayed PB blaster around the perimeter of the seal (let it soak for about an hour when I went to pick up the seal puller)

2)Bought the Lisle 56750 seal puller at my local auto parts store. I carefully use the smaller end as shown below. The smooth part of the tool rests on top of the crankshaft and I simply pried it off. The fulcrum is the right side of the seal. Photo below. It came out very easily with minimal force and no damage to anything.

3)After cleaning all the bearing surfaces, I re-lubed the new seal with a light coat of oil and then tapped it in using a small piece of PVC pipe to tap it back in with even pressure.
Nice work Ricardo! Have you put the new seal in place? Please describe and share pics (if available) of the process.

Quick Reply: How to remove crankshaft seal?