Sponsored by:

Designtek exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 04:34 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Designtek exhaust?

My car will be goin for top end rebuild soon and i was planning on uprating/fitting a performance exhaust.
The designtek race system is a very good price, but has no heat and iam uncertain about any gains, has anyone ever used this system?
My mate who is a brill welder reckons he can copy the heat box things and weld them to the dt system giving it heat, that will sort that issue.
But does this exhaust provide any power?

Or maybe a hayword scott full system that is x4 more money, has anyone used this exhaust?
Old 09-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are concerned about price, I would consider a combination of bypasses.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:43 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

It's so complicated....with the stock engine we all know the cup & bypass give the best result...but can be loud 103 db warm engine, I personally use a tip with a silencer to quieten it down, and then swap..
The Hayward seams to have the right headers diameter and length and keep it quite, but until you try both system on a dyno .....you may also find you need to remap the car to get best advantage , between top end or torque, I think Frank mention he knows someone who builds good exhausts at a reasonable price....
Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That designtek one is tempting, its so cheap. Not much more than a good decat and gpipe. I get the impression it would be loud with the single silencer setup, probably could be repacked to reduce the db a bit. Still maybe too loud for track days. Also worryingly the police are handing out fines at the roadside for anything over 100db in some parts of the UK. Mainly its being used to persecute boy racers but it'll come round eventually.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kos11-12
Frank mention he knows someone who builds good exhausts at a reasonable price....
Yup, PM me.

Originally Posted by alexjc4
That designtek one is tempting, its so cheap. Not much more than a good decat and gpipe. I get the impression it would be loud with the single silencer setup, probably could be repacked to reduce the db a bit. Still maybe too loud for track days. Also worryingly the police are handing out fines at the roadside for anything over 100db in some parts of the UK. Mainly its being used to persecute boy racers but it'll come round eventually.
Not sure if it's stainless though... ?

Also, this is the pessimist in me - it just seems too good value to be capable and a quality part.

DesignTek are a parts brand owned by Design911... love how on the DesignTek site it says recommended by Design911... :roll eyes:

Having said that Design911 also sell MaxFlo (FabSpeed) exhaust systems that can include heat exchangers:
Attached Images   
Old 09-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the DesignTek 100cell cat, and wasn't too impressed by its build quality.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:50 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the Maxflow/Fabspeed dual outlet and, while I like the quality and fit, it does tend to drone at 3000 rpm.

Marc
Old 09-04-2012, 04:05 AM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Russ, why don't you modify the 993 system to fit your car, It is a known improvement, keeps the heat and would be a lot cheaper than most aftermarket systems. It is what I intend to do to mine. I already have the manifolds, I just need some cat bypass pipes now to finish making a system.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:02 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Strega, 993 setup would be nice. Would love to hear more. Where was your source for 993 exhausts, ebay, breakers? Also who flipped the flanges for you? I think the heat comes out in a slightly different location on the 993 he's, do you just use longer hoses? You could always gut the stock cats if you have them.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:24 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Can't speak to their 964 products, but I had a designtek sports exhaust system in my "old" 997 and the quality of the silencer at least wasn't great. I had no issues with exhaust headers etc., but I had to replace the silencer after less than two years as the interior had disintegrated (you could hear bits rattling around).

I have the Hayward and Scott full system with dual outlet on my current 964-based car. It is very loud (I haven't measured but I am certain that it is well over 100db), which I personally like but it will keep you off of most tracks, and every passenger I've had in the car thinks it is too loud. Other downsides are that it drones between 2500 and 3000rpm, and it is expensive. But the quality is tops and I like the sound...

Alex - any idea where in UK they are fining for over 100dB (so I can stay away)?
Old 09-04-2012, 06:01 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cuse92
Alex - any idea where in UK they are fining for over 100dB (so I can stay away)?
I've heard Essex/Suffolk, like I say mostly the police seem to be going after likely looking boy racers, I guess as much to say "we're hear and we're watching you - so don't go drifting the local roundabouts" as anything. I'm not sure if it's an ASBO related thing, where the residents need to complain, or just triggered by the fitting of a non standard looking/sounding exhaust, but its 100db for sure and that's a joke given some bone stock 911's, let alone TVR's etc, would fall foul.

If you google it its on a few forums
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=10...countryGB&sa=X
Old 09-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kos11-12
Frank mention he knows someone who builds good exhausts at a reasonable price....
Just so it's here for future reference - Nick @ RedTek said his exhaust builder doesn't do retail so best to call him for a quote. A full from headers custom system for a 964 costs circa £ 1,800.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:07 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like others my guess is that the cheap DesignTek system will add noise, droning and do little if anything for power.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:29 AM
ALEX P
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexjc4
Also worryingly the police are handing out fines at the roadside for anything over 100db in some parts of the UK. Mainly its being used to persecute boy racers but it'll come round eventually.
Haven't heard that one before - What is the legal noise limit for road cars in the UK anyway? I'd have thought it would be part of the MOT if they were that fussed. I also would think that most motorbikes would be stuffed too.

I initially looked at Designtek because they are so well priced but was put off when a few people said they had dubious build quality and I don't know if the rear silencer is a standard fit or not so if it gives up then you may have to either buy another Designtek one or make something up. I could be wrong though.

I'd have thought that Designtek should know what db their product gives if you ask them?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:50 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

It's daft isn't it. No doubt there's a bit of internet "lore" to it, and it's typical of the sort of FUD howl round that you get on the backward baseball cap car forums.

But some folks have had fines (£30) in my Skyline club - just last week infact - more importantly they've been forced to "fix it". The key (not so new) rule that is being enforced is that you can't "modify the exhaust so as to increase the volume". And 100db seems to be the ticket level. Luckily with the bung in my Skyline exhaust will creep under 100db, just, if its really warm and in an anechoic chamber.

I'm told that recently new cars started having the standard db, static and drive by, listed on the V5 (I don't believe any good cars were built after 1989 so I wouldn't know ) Standard for new cars will be around 88db I think - and I've seen some track days advertised at 88db recently specifically for road cars!

As you say, MOT doesn't require it, and SVA doesn't either - so it's a bit Kafkaesque. But biker's have been getting warnings and fines for loud cans for a while.

As for this designtek jobbie I bet if you asked they'd say its for "track use" and wouldn't quote a db figure that you could hold them to. I'd guess it may be over 105db which in effect means, rare "noisy" track days or race use. Also probably a bit cheap and cheerful, but for that price you wouldn't expect H&S quality.

Quick Reply: Designtek exhaust?