Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's Brad Penn oil's stored life expectancy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012 | 10:23 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Default What's Brad Penn oil's stored life expectancy?

I was planning on picking up a (12 qt-containers) case of Brad Penn oil for the yearly change, but discovered this morning that I'd forgotten a case in the garage opened last year still containing 11 qts.
Hurray!... wait a minute...

How long would you put Brad Penn's stored-effectiveness lasting?
(I'm pretty sure a year's wait won't be a problem, but I'm no chem. engineer.)

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2012 | 10:41 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Lonnie - I'm sure that oil is stale. Send it to me and I will dispose of it for you.

Jokes aside, I'm sure its fine but will be curious to hear from the experts.
Old 08-21-2012 | 11:20 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Send a little in to blackstone and see what the report says .
Old 08-21-2012 | 11:33 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

You're likely fine using that oil. I would use it w/o a second thought.

Here's some Blackstone testing on antique oil off of eBay.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsl...ril-1-2012.php

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/Data/...s%20Diesel.pdf
Old 08-21-2012 | 11:54 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Its in sealed bottles...its has a much longer shelf life than one year.
Old 08-21-2012 | 12:13 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Indycam
Send a little in to blackstone and see what the report says .
Good idea.

And it looks from Vandit's links (thanks!) that the stuff would likely be stable for decades. (Not something I would've ever guessed.)
So, a year's unopened storage looks near-trivial.
Old 08-21-2012 | 04:05 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Well, it's already 2 million or so years old .........
Old 08-22-2012 | 09:55 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
Well, it's already 2 million or so years old .........
That's funny!!!
Old 08-22-2012 | 11:40 AM
americanrefining
2nd Gear

Thanks for using our Brad Penn® oils.

The ‘shelf life’ of a product such as motor oil is dependent upon a number of factors that make each situation unique. We can, however, offer some ‘general’ guidelines and comments.

Storage conditions are the key to product preservation and quality. Unopened plastic quarts of motor oil stored indoors in a cool, dry environment (preferably not in direct contact with concrete or other moisture-porous materials – i.e. stored off the floor on shelves, on pallets, on blocks, etc.), free of excess heat and humidity and not subjected to wide ambient temperature fluctuations typically remain suitable for use during an average storage period of 3 years. Sitting idle for long periods of time without agitation (like sitting static on a shelf during storage) is one of the most stressing of situations for a motor oil. Also, it is a little known fact that the plastic bottles typically used for packaging motor oil (i.e. HDPE – High Density Polyethylene) are not totally impervious to moisture infiltration from the environment. Therefore when stored in areas of high humidity like damp basements or in non-climate controlled garages or sheds in areas of the country where ambient humidity is high during long periods of time, the product quality can be jeopardized. Opened and partial containers of product are more susceptible to contamination when stored under unfavorable conditions. Obviously the ideal situation is to purchase only as much product as will be used immediately, but as we all know this is not always practical. This is where the correct storage procedures come into play. One further note….when the stored product container(s) is opened you should take careful note of the color and consistency of the oil as it flows out. Motor oil should be clear and bright and of uniform consistency. Visual indication of possible moisture contamination and/or product separation are ‘streaks’ of different, darker colored material in the pour stream or lighter ‘cream colored’ streaks due to moisture.

Thank you once again for your use of our fine line of Brad Penn® products. If you have any additional questions please call our Technical Service department at (814) 368-1200.
Old 08-22-2012 | 12:54 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Hi Americanrefining
Good to see you here , Thank You .

"preferably not in direct contact with concrete"
What would happen if it was stored on concrete ?
The plastic bottle is sealed . How would the oil know what is on the outside of the bottle ?
Old 09-07-2012 | 12:07 PM
americanrefining
2nd Gear

As mentioned in the original post, the HDPE bottles that motor oil is packaged in ARE NOT totally impervious to moisture infiltration, even if the bottle is sealed. Exterior moisture from the atmosphere like high humidity in damp basements or climates where humidity is high a large number of days each year, the moisture can enter between the molecules of the plastic bottle and also through the non-hermetically sealed cap and liner. The longer the exposure to such conditions (i.e. the longer the oil is stored under these conditions) the more likely the moisture contamination will infiltrate the sealed bottle. The reason it was mentioned that the bottles shouldn’t be stored in direct contact with concrete but should ideally be stored off the floor on pallets, shelves, etc. is the fact that unless properly and completely sealed, concrete will allow moisture from the dirt base underneath to penetrate and come into direct contact with the porous plastic bottle……hence the concern. As an example, have you ever tried to store a cardboard box directly on an unsealed concrete floor for any length of time……what happens? Moisture from the concrete floor causes deterioration of the cardboard lattice structure, and sometimes even mold and mildew form on the cardboard.

That was the reference to the concrete issue in the earlier post. Thanks for allowing the clarification.
Old 09-07-2012 | 06:10 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

So its not the concrete ? Dry concrete will do nothing ?

Quick Reply: What's Brad Penn oil's stored life expectancy?