Sponsored by:

Time For New Cams

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 05:54 PM
samajam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time For New Cams

Thought I would post a few pics of what was found on the left side of the during an engine out valve adjustment. The car is a 90 C4 with apppx 145,000 miles, right side was taken to the case in '03 at 110,000 miles due to bent valves, loose cam gear was noted as the cause and left side is original. Will replace the cams with a regrind from Dougherty and all rockers on the left side. Other than the valves is there anything else I should have checked that might have contributed to the damage?
Attached Images   
Old 08-08-2012, 06:15 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Could this be cam damage caused by the new oils without ZDDP?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:45 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. that's a mess
2. I think your cam source is one that's lauded on Pelican for his quality and skewered for his turn times and periodic bouts of non-contactibility. Caveat emptor.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ja78911sc
Could be.

Beware of off the shelve synthetics. GL5 2005 significantly reduced ZDDP levels in synthetic oils... and most cars it's not a issue.

Usually oils with enough ZDDP are labled for off road use only or racing.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:21 AM
touque
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

samajam, I had damage to a few of my rockers (not the cams) from a plugged hole in the spray bar. When I put a thin pick in there, I heard and felt a crunch where the oil had turned hard and crusty. Quite a few miles later, my new rockers are just fine.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I agree with Makmov. When I disassembled my cab's engine. I found some pitting on the cams too. Talked to Steve Weiner about it and he speculated that it was damage caused by oil with low ZDDP. I'm now running Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 in my cars.

Good luck with the repair.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thought about cup cams?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:42 AM
samajam
Instructor

Originally Posted by ja78911sc
Originally Posted by Makmov
Could be.

Beware of off the shelve synthetics. GL5 2005 significantly reduced ZDDP levels in synthetic oils... and most cars it's not a issue.

Usually oils with enough ZDDP are labled for off road use only or racing.
Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I agree with Makmov. When I disassembled my cab's engine. I found some pitting on the cams too. Talked to Steve Weiner about it and he speculated that it was damage caused by oil with low ZDDP. I'm now running Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 in my cars.

Good luck with the repair.
Thanks for the responses, I have heard the ZDDP argument from a few sources now and been recommended the V-twin by a well regarded tuner. 145,000 miles is a lot of revolutions and I am sure that many of them were completed in less than ideal oil conditions. I have been using std Mobil 1 but will move over to either Motul or Penn since they are readily available in my market.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:46 AM
samajam
Instructor

Originally Posted by touque
samajam, I had damage to a few of my rockers (not the cams) from a plugged hole in the spray bar. When I put a thin pick in there, I heard and felt a crunch where the oil had turned hard and crusty. Quite a few miles later, my new rockers are just fine.
I will make sure that the teck looks at the spray hole. It seems curoius to me that one went bad and the others are still very smooth. The initial thought was of bad springs or stuck/sticky valve increasing the pressure on the cam but all seems good there so lubrication is the more likely culprit.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:55 AM
samajam
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Thought about cup cams?
Thanks Frank, you have a great sig line. I did consider cup cams, if for nothing else than the cool name, but through all my forum searching the Dougherty 993-SS seemed like a good compromise for a mostly stock engine and as an added bonus they are cheap compared to stock. I do want more performance in the future but might swap for a C2 before I commit to more engine. Besides, I have recently picked up three go-karts for me and the boys(8&11 yrs) and that is where my motorsport aspitarions are focussed at the moment.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:06 AM
samajam
Instructor

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
1. that's a mess
2. I think your cam source is one that's lauded on Pelican for his quality and skewered for his turn times and periodic bouts of non-contactibility. Caveat emptor.
1. agree
2. eyes open, and add to that the border issues and it could be a PITA but my nature is to make a decision and not look back, otherwise I would not own an older car and almost certainly not be married.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by samajam
Thanks Frank, you have a great sig line. I did consider cup cams, if for nothing else than the cool name, but through all my forum searching the Dougherty 993-SS seemed like a good compromise for a mostly stock engine and as an added bonus they are cheap compared to stock. I do want more performance in the future but might swap for a C2 before I commit to more engine. Besides, I have recently picked up three go-karts for me and the boys(8&11 yrs) and that is where my motorsport aspitarions are focussed at the moment.
Yeah I ditto what has been said before - get those oil spray tubes nice and cleaned out. A block is what caused damage to my rockers which resulted in debris...
Old 08-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I would use Elgin cams if it were me.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:38 PM
samajam
Instructor

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I would use Elgin cams if it were me.
Geoffery, is that based on profile or quality? please pm if you prefer. Thanks
Old 08-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by samajam
Thanks for the responses, I have heard the ZDDP argument from a few sources now and been recommended the V-twin by a well regarded tuner. 145,000 miles is a lot of revolutions and I am sure that many of them were completed in less than ideal oil conditions. I have been using std Mobil 1 but will move over to either Motul or Penn since they are readily available in my market.
What weight Mobile 1, a lot of the standard Mobile 1s are too low in ZDDP now days.

Quick Reply: Time For New Cams