Sponsored by:

Next upgrades... weight loss vs power

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 01:50 PM
cuse92
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Masher
Many thanks. A good bag list for the longer term project. Is there an optimum starting point? Strikes me the weight loss programme involves lots of (expensive) steps many saving less than 5kg but together saving 75kg (my perception, not actual figures). A cat bypass, new air filter and remap look favoured for the first step but willing to listen to the experience of others. I suspect there are many opinions and no right answer! Thanks again.
Gonna parrot Frank a bit, but easily the best bang for the buck on the performance side would be a chip and a cat bypass (that should keep you on UK tracks but provide some gains). G-pipe is good value but loud for your requirements. I personally find the aftermarket air filters to not provide any discernable benefit but they are comparatively cheap so maybe worth a try. Drilling RS-style holes in the airbox didn't seem to do much either. Many of the aftermarket exhaust bits will save you some weight over OEM exhaust as well, so double benefit there.

On the weight loss side, the easiest weight to lose is in the seats, as Frank suggested. I am pretty sure that I lost 12.5 kilos for each front seat. They aren't cheap but you may find a decent deal on the internet auction sites. If you don't use the rear seats much there's some easy weight to lose there too (I'm not sure of the legality of this, but you can still sit in the rear seat well and it is actually roomier... so I hear...).

The RS door cards aren't expensive and are another easy change, as long as you can deal with losing the door cubbies and the interior door handle (replaced by a canvas strap), and you'll gain a few kilos there (and may be able to recoup a few quid reselling your door cards).

When PS were converting my car (to look like a '73 911S), they said the heaviest thing they took out were the impact bumpers, which apparently saved me more than 40kgs (I am told, I wasn't there) ...especially helpful at the back end of the car...too bad they don't make some sort of aftermarket version...
Old 08-08-2012, 05:24 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

I like to think of it in terms of power-to-weight: If your car weighs about 3000lbs, and has about 250hp, then you're at 12lbs for each hp. SO, a crude assumption would be that for each 12lbs that you can rip out of your car, you are effectively 'adding' 1hp.

But the great thing about reducing weight, in contrast to adding power, is that it doesn't just help your power-to-weight ratio - it also benefits braking and handling as well. What other mod can make those claims?!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:27 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep...hijack. A weight loss offer....

Somebody buy my Appbiz RS carpet set, NIB - I bought it from Jeff Curtis last year and have no need for it.

$175 shipped anywhere CONUS.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RSAErick
I like to think of it in terms of power-to-weight: If your car weighs about 3000lbs, and has about 250hp, then you're at 12lbs for each hp. SO, a crude assumption would be that for each 12lbs that you can rip out of your car, you are effectively 'adding' 1hp.

But the great thing about reducing weight, in contrast to adding power, is that it doesn't just help your power-to-weight ratio - it also benefits braking and handling as well. What other mod can make those claims?!
No question weight is everything. Just not that easy to do, especially when you add in 300 lbs of race ware. The first couple hundred pounds are realatively easy, after that it gets harder and more expensive to reduce weight.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cuse92
Gonna parrot Frank a bit, but easily the best bang for the buck on the performance side would be a chip and a cat bypass (that should keep you on UK tracks but provide some gains). G-pipe is good value but loud for your requirements. I personally find the aftermarket air filters to not provide any discernable benefit but they are comparatively cheap so maybe worth a try. Drilling RS-style holes in the airbox didn't seem to do much either. Many of the aftermarket exhaust bits will save you some weight over OEM exhaust as well, so double benefit there.

On the weight loss side, the easiest weight to lose is in the seats, as Frank suggested. I am pretty sure that I lost 12.5 kilos for each front seat. They aren't cheap but you may find a decent deal on the internet auction sites. If you don't use the rear seats much there's some easy weight to lose there too (I'm not sure of the legality of this, but you can still sit in the rear seat well and it is actually roomier... so I hear...).

The RS door cards aren't expensive and are another easy change, as long as you can deal with losing the door cubbies and the interior door handle (replaced by a canvas strap), and you'll gain a few kilos there (and may be able to recoup a few quid reselling your door cards).

When PS were converting my car (to look like a '73 911S), they said the heaviest thing they took out were the impact bumpers, which apparently saved me more than 40kgs (I am told, I wasn't there) ...especially helpful at the back end of the car...too bad they don't make some sort of aftermarket version...
Yeah I don't think they are that heavy.
But they are worth some weight savings.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I personally find the aftermarket air filters to not provide any discernable benefit but they are comparatively cheap so maybe worth a try. Drilling RS-style holes in the airbox didn't seem to do much either. Many of the aftermarket exhaust bits will save you some weight over OEM exhaust as well, so double benefit there.
I think all the elements of a nice exhaust setup with a drilled air box and remap all add up - besides it's cheap to drill your air box and the added induction noise is great. Worth the punt - while you're in there.

Ditto re exhaust - double win power increase & weight loss.

I believe and again someone with a better memory than me will chime in. But you can remove the metal heavy metal bumper 'brackets/ absorbers' behind the bumpers and replace them with nothing or cup/ RS items?

That's a perfect way to look at it in my mind.

Absolutely, ditto. Not that, that suits me however since I still want a most of the creature comforts!
Old 08-09-2012, 04:01 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
I think all the elements of a nice exhaust setup with a drilled air box and remap all add up - besides it's cheap to drill your air box and the added induction noise is great. Worth the punt - while you're in there.

I believe and again someone with a better memory than me will chime in. But you can remove the metal heavy metal bumper 'brackets/ absorbers' behind the bumpers and replace them with nothing or cup/ RS items?
You are probably right re: airbox, it is just that in my experience I did that (K&N filter and drilled airbox) separately from my exhaust/chipping mods on the old 3.6 and when it was done I didn't really notice anything different. As to induction noise, my exhaust is so loud (and no sound deadening material) that I'm not surprised I didn't notice a difference! Anyway, it costs almost nothing so agreed worth a punt.

Yes, I'm pretty certain that you can legally remove those bits in the UK, at least (I believe they were required to meet US regulations); that's what was done on mine. Of course, it has a negative safety effect so I wouldn't do it lightly. I didn't realise there were lighter Cup/RS items.

Originally Posted by Makmov
Yeah I don't think they are that heavy.
But they are worth some weight savings.
I'm sure you are right, it sounded like a lot to me too.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:13 AM
PeterS911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have got 18" Veloce rims on mine, with Avon Tyres.

I also have a spare set of 17" Carrera 10 spoke wheels off my 996 with Bridgestones. When I get my 964 back from its rebuild I will weigh them and see what the weight difference is. As this will (perhaps) be reducing the unstrung weight this is by far a greater possible weight advantage.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What about trying somthing like this?
Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Just my 2cents but the mods in order of easy/hard seem to be:
  • Remove front carpet (weight)
  • Remove engine splash pan (weight)
  • Remove heater fan and replace w/cup heater pipe (weight)
  • drill airbox (power - verified 2-3 hp)
  • replace front seats with fixed buckets (weight)
  • replace door cards w/RS and remove speakers (weight)
  • replace stock exhaust with header exhaust (weight/power)
  • lightweight wheels/tires (weight)
  • replace HEAVY dual mass setup with RS LWF and clutch setup (weight/power)
  • chip to adjust mapping for above LWF, exhaust, and airbox (power)
  • remove A/C (weight)
  • replace carpet w/lightweight RS set (weight)
  • everything else including body panels, plexi, etc)

That said - I went with easy stuff (airbox/heater fan) and power/sounds enhancing first (RS LWF/chip/exhaust). Gotta have an upgrade path right?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:51 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Shamus964
Just my 2cents but the mods in order of easy/hard seem to be:
  • Remove front carpet (weight)
  • Remove engine splash pan (weight)
  • Remove heater fan and replace w/cup heater pipe (weight)
  • drill airbox (power - verified 2-3 hp)
  • replace front seats with fixed buckets (weight)
  • replace door cards w/RS and remove speakers (weight)
  • replace stock exhaust with header exhaust (weight/power)
  • lightweight wheels/tires (weight)
  • replace HEAVY dual mass setup with RS LWF and clutch setup (weight/power)
  • chip to adjust mapping for above LWF, exhaust, and airbox (power)
  • remove A/C (weight)
  • replace carpet w/lightweight RS set (weight)
  • everything else including body panels, plexi, etc)

That said - I went with easy stuff (airbox/heater fan) and power/sounds enhancing first (RS LWF/chip/exhaust). Gotta have an upgrade path right?
And then add a close ratio tranny with a 1.04 fifth....just the snizzle!!!
Old 08-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Masher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
You missed off your list:

c) driver training

this is easily the best performance bang for buck and has the added benefit of being transferable from one car to another
You've seen me drive then!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Originally Posted by KaiB
And then add a close ratio tranny with a 1.04 fifth....just the snizzle!!!
That's on the short list for me, I've heard good things! Actually, I just need to convince you of an upgrade path so that snazzy setup is kicking around Tualatin 'slightly used'
Old 08-09-2012, 04:37 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

That's on the short list for me, I've heard good things! Actually, I just need to convince you of an upgrade path so that snazzy setup is kicking around Tualatin 'slightly used'
Just as soon as the new six'er is built, tehe.

BTW, this one has a brandy new input shaft, 3d syncro and op sleeve.

Fantastic five speed box for both track and street.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 578 Likes on 397 Posts

I'd look for a g50.30 or 32, or at least a .21 or 31

Quick Reply: Next upgrades... weight loss vs power