Sponsored by:

Next upgrades... weight loss vs power

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012 | 07:23 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Masher
You've seen me drive then!
Only the once mate...but hopefully many more times in the future.

...and just to elaborate from my own experience, I've learned loads from proper circuit training from instructors that are good in 911s. I'm talking taking many seconds off a long lap like Silverstone. Add in the fact that I know my instructor could then jump in my car and do the lap maybe 10 seconds faster than me and we realize that the driver can make so much difference.

The rider to the last bit being that he can't teach me the last 10 second reduction because money can't buy his talent.
Old 08-09-2012 | 07:40 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I'd look for a g50.30 or 32, or at least a .21 or 31
Why **** on my Post Toasties again Bill?

If you have nothing nice to say, don't go anywhere with your sideways comments.

You pissed on my 993 ABS Hydl. unit ad, and now advising a friend against my transmission. You'll plead otherwise and claim self-righteous indignation, but I can read you.

Fark off.
Old 08-09-2012 | 07:53 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Originally Posted by KaiB
Just as soon as the new six'er is built, tehe.

BTW, this one has a brandy new input shaft, 3d syncro and op sleeve.

Fantastic five speed box for both track and street.
Thank you in advance for the Rothsportian upgrades I shall make due to your (expensive) beta-testing Sir!
Old 08-09-2012 | 07:58 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

You pissed on my 993 ABS Hydl. unit ad, and now advising a friend against my transmission. You'll plead otherwise and claim self-righteous indignation, but I can read you.

Fark off.
I guess no one else in entitled to an opinion

So you were intending to defraud someone, sorry to have rained on your parade, maybe a potential purchaser would see it differently

Up Yours!
Old 08-10-2012 | 01:17 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Keep it civil or go elsewhere, please.

Marc
Old 08-10-2012 | 07:55 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Keep it civil or go elsewhere, please.

Marc
I will apologize to you and our friends here Marc, absolutely.

Please PM Bill, as I will have nothing to do with him again.

This last comment, and the term "defraud" jumps the shark.

Folks here know me better than that...
Old 08-10-2012 | 08:09 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Back to the OP and the discussion regarding weight.

'Lil Claudia weighs 2530 with me and 5gal of fuel. I add weight and fuel for NASA to run at 2627, and add a bit more for PCA to run at 2677.

In all honesty, the additional weight makes no difference in lap times in the real world. Track temps, tires and weather conditions play a greater role; we're probably discussing a half second here.

What is noticable is the fuel load. The car handles better with a full tank - mid-corner push is easier to control with the throttle and trail braking (using the brakes to rotate the car at corner entry) works better (but the transition off of the pedal is a bit more critical.

Without the added ballast, the car does seem more nimble. Turn-in is better, but I can't say anything is faster.

All this having been said, one must note that the ballast is all in the right spot, down as low as it can get.

If I take a passenger, I can feel the difference in the car and would say that 200# or so makes a difference.

Would I lighten a stock car? Absolutely!!! Claudia, back in her "street" trim came in at 2,760# and was noticably more nimble and quicker than the others.
Old 08-10-2012 | 08:17 AM
falcor
Racer

As long as one isn't racing to win I wouldn't remove the AC. If you're not a professional driver I think you benefit more from a reasonable cockpit temperature than loosing 15-20 kg.
Old 08-10-2012 | 08:53 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fark off.
So tell us all why you are so bent out of shape because of my comment that the abs unit you are selling is a 3 channel unit not a 4.

Don't you think that is pertinent?

I don't make sideways comments, I won't take your insults

as to the the transmission post, you have your opinion I added mine, big insult there that someone could have a different opinion
Old 08-11-2012 | 12:05 PM
Masher
Instructor

KaiB and Bill. I'm not a moderator or one to take offence easily, I'm just a bloke looking to learn a little more about 964's. Thank you for your on-topic contributions but I, and I suspect others, can do without the handbag routine if that's OK with you. Clearly there's an issue (which I do not want to get involved in) but if you'd kindly start your own thread to sort it out that'd be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Next upgrades... weight loss vs power